June 2015 Moms

Feeding LO Feb/March

2»

Re: Feeding LO Feb/March

• delujm0 said:

She has been better with solids lately but really hasn't cut down on milk at all.  Sometimes she'll go 2.5 or 3 hours during the day between nursing but not too often.  She just loves milk I guess.  Once she has some top teeth and can feed herself actual food I think things will improve...she kind of hates being spoon fed but loves feeding herself puffs.

LO is over his solids "strike" but will now only let us spoon feed him if he has a handful of puffs or cheerios. We kinda sneak in spoonfuls in between puffs. And at the moment, that's the only thing he'll feed himself (he's fed himself other things in the past). I'll put out a nice variety of items and he'll ignore everything except the puffs. Babies!
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• LO wants to est everything I am eating. I don't mind but I'm super nervous about allergies. I'm afraid if she has a reaction to something I wint know what it is since my food is usually not just one ingredient. What are you all doing? Just giving them a bite of whatever they can get down? Also my ped said no peanutbutter til a year but I've read it's better to introduce it sooner. I know some of you have already. Am I a terrible mother if I don't listen to the pediatrician?!
  • Loading the player...
  • @ciennah99 mine said only exclude cows mills and honey. I am also a little nervous about allergies because my LO also want to eats everything I am having. I just tell myself that both DH and I neither have allergies so hopefully we won't have any. 
  • mjschenk said:
    @ciennah99 mine said only exclude cows mills and honey. I am also a little nervous about allergies because my LO also want to eats everything I am having. I just tell myself that both DH and I neither have allergies so hopefully we won't have any. 
    Ditto this but I am over my allergies concern because LO has eaten so many things now. That's not a brag, just a note that I eventually got over it and hope you ladies are able to, in your own time
  • LO eats everything except no honey until after a year. My pediatrician said go for everything at his 6 month check up. No discussion on waiting between foods or anything either. 
    Your not a bad mother to not listen to your pediatrician! Mine tells me to sleep train every visit and it's not gonna happen ;) 
  • So baby is going on 10 months on the 12th. He still gags when I attempt to give him thicker purees. He is not interested in any other foods. I consulted the doctor and I was referred to a Speech Therapist to get him evaluated. I'm not even sure why a speech therapist, but we'll see what he/she has to say.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 12/23/13 MMC 01/24/14 @ 9w5days

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• beemaya83 said:
    So baby is going on 10 months on the 12th. He still gags when I attempt to give him thicker purees. He is not interested in any other foods. I consulted the doctor and I was referred to a Speech Therapist to get him evaluated. I'm not even sure why a speech therapist, but we'll see what he/she has to say.
    Speech therapists do swallowing evaluations i believe? So maybe that's why? 
  • My LO gags on anything and everything I try to feed her except for her baby food. She won't eat smashed bananas, or puffs, Cheerios, I tried smashes beans and she had a little bit eventually started gagging! Idk what else to try! She won't take a sippy cup either yet.
  • Gagging is normal and part of the finger food process. Their reflexes are closer to the front of their mouths than ours are. Helps prevent choking. If it were me, I would continue to present soft finger foods and puffs until she and you get more comfortable. 
  • Maybe do bigger pieces too at this age? Then she may try to chew first where if it is mashed up she may be trying to swallow too much but yes there will be some gagging first. Some more than others.
  • I'm struggling to pump enough for LO.  I have no freezer stash and he absolutely refuses formula!  He will take a sip and realize it's not breast milk and then will gag.  Does anyone have any tips for introducing formula?  I have tried mixing with breast milk and he will refuse that.  Tried it in sippy cups, nope.  His pedi said that typically if a baby hasn't been introduced to formula by around 3 months they will be almost impossible to transition over.  But I know it can be done... just not sure how!  I've tried enfamil and similac.  It just has to be that it's an unfamiliar taste. 
  • I know formula is expensive, but maybe trying other brands, or the gentle mix, or soy, or something like that if you haven't already. I have heard some moms say it took awhile to find the right formula. Another option would be try a different kind of cup, like a sippy cup, to make it a different experience. If the process feels different maybe the formula won't be rejected. I hope you find something that works for you! I know how stressful it was when I ran out of my freezer stash because I couldn't keep up when pumping as well.  
  • For those still breastfeeding, how many times a day is your lo nursing? My little guy will be 10 months on the 21st. For the last month and a half or so he's been consistently nursing 4x a day (in addition to three meals and 1-2 snacks). Over the last couple of days, he's been eating less - still as frequently but for less duration. If he did only eat 3x a day, would I need to supplement (i.e. With homo milk or formula)?
  • jessieR358jessieR358 member
    edited April 2016
    ^^ I don't think you would need to supplement so long as he is growing appropriately. I was just at the ped this week and my 9 month old will occasionally only nurse a couple times during the day and he said that's fine. He said some wean earlier than others, which I wasn't ready to hear ha. My LO mainly nurses to fall asleep for naps and bedtime. 
    He also eats 3 meals and snacks and drinks some water. 

ETA: shorter duration doesn't necessarily mean less volume either. They are just very efficient! 
  • ^^ I don't think you would need to supplement so long as he is growing appropriately. I was just at the ped this week and my 9 month old will occasionally only nurse a couple times during the day and he said that's fine. He said some wean earlier than others, which I wasn't ready to hear ha. My LO mainly nurses to fall asleep for naps and bedtime. 
    He also eats 3 meals and snacks and drinks some water. 

ETA: shorter duration doesn't necessarily mean less volume either. They are just very efficient! 
    Thanks @jessieR358 ! And that's a good point about efficiency. I was wondering about that. I'll just take his lead :) Thanks again for your reply. 
  • So....my daughter only has 2 teeth and can't figure out how to use them. They're on the bottom. She doesn't pick anything up and put it in her mouth, let alone food. She can manage anything we put in a mesh feeder but hates if you cut something up and try to give it to her otherwise. Daycare is complaining and thinking she is tongue tied but the doctor doesn't seem concerned (he asked about how she was eating last time I took her). Her daddy was tongue tied until he was an adult and survived just fine. Whatever is going on, I need to figure something out so everybody quits calling me about it at work.

Sorry for the rant paragraph.
  • So....my daughter only has 2 teeth and can't figure out how to use them. They're on the bottom. She doesn't pick anything up and put it in her mouth, let alone food. She can manage anything we put in a mesh feeder but hates if you cut something up and try to give it to her otherwise. Daycare is complaining and thinking she is tongue tied but the doctor doesn't seem concerned (he asked about how she was eating last time I took her). Her daddy was tongue tied until he was an adult and survived just fine. Whatever is going on, I need to figure something out so everybody quits calling me about it at work.

Sorry for the rant paragraph.
    I would quit using the mesh feeder and only offer small bites of soft food she can easily pick up. I wouldn't feed it to her, but let her pick it up. If she doesn't eat then offer her some bites of whatever she will eat. But Keep offering the pieces. She also doesn't need the teeth to eat. 
  • My lo has no teeth at all and eats pretty big pieces of food considering! She loves holding a watermelon slice. 
  • fridaysdancefridaysdance member
    edited April 2016
    Funny thing. She found a baby cheeto that was left out today from an attempt at getting her to eat a snack yesterday. She picked it up and ate the whole thing and chewed it instead of just sucking on it. Today, she decided out of the blue she would eat anything put in front of her. She also decided to try to walk...my baby grew up on 1 day.
  • ciennah99ciennah99 member
    edited May 2016
    At 11 months my body decided it couldn't make enough milk anymore. IT was always a struggle for me. I went from lumping 3 times at work to 2, then LO & I both got sick, too sick to nurse or pump. It's making sleep difficult bc we are used to nursing to sleep, not always but often. I don't have much of a freezer stash at all. I need to count but maybe 75 oz. i'm not sure if it will be enough to get her to a year or if I will need to start supplementing with formula. The pediatrician doesn't want cows milk started until at least a year. I don't want to get to the point where I'm out of breastmilk and she won't take formula or cows milk.  I'm kind of at a loss and not sure what to do. I tried calling the pediatrician but we just keep leaving each other messages & I don't think they understood what I was asking. I'll try again tomorrow. I Started to pump 3 times at work again but I'm barely getting any milk. Just wondering if anyone has had an experience like this or any advice? Would it be stupid to start her on formula this close to a year? She'll be one on May 25th.
  • ^ Is she nursing happily when you are home? Does she eat solids a lot, like full on pieces?
  • Sometimes nurses well, other times fussy, goes from one boob to the other crying. When this happens I can pretty much tell I'm out of milk so for the last week we have been getting her a bottle of pumped milk from my frozen stash. She will usually drink it all, about 3-4 oz. Trying to feed her more solids and she does pretty well, is a bit picky but we try to get her eating throughout the day, usually three meals & snacks.
  • bwow615bwow615 member
    @ciennah99 I am almost in the exact same position as you, but without a freezer stash! I am not getting enough from my pumping sessions to support what LO needs for the next day.  I pump 3x at work, and get 9-11 oz. total for the day.  I have to pump 2 times at night to try to make up for the difference.  LO has refused formula, and I honestly just don't know what to do at this point.  He is eating purees/solids 2-3x a day.  He is a healthy 21.4 pounds.  I would love to be able to supplement with formula for peace of mind, if only he would take it.  I am interested to see if anyone else has any advice.  Today LO has 2 bottles of pumped milk 4 oz each.  My sister is going to try some formula, but I may need to run over there with a bottle of pumped milk from my first session today at lunch.  I am a slave to breastfeeding, and beyond done with it.  I am so thankful and grateful that I have been able to make it this long. I am going to keep trying to make it to a year, but man, it's rough.  
  • Ok I have question since my lo is getting lots of solids (like he eats everything I swear) is it super normal for him not to be getting very much breast milk I gave him a bottle the other morning and pumped because of a need for me to be somewhere and I pumped probably only 2 oz. is he just naturally weaning himself? He is still growing and healthy so it surprised me just curious if I should worry about my supply. 
  • @ciennah99 not a professional opinion but I wouldn't do formula at this point. Nurse a lot, give what you can pump, feed super healthy solids and see how he acts. Curious what the doc says. 

@mjschenk Pumping is not an indicator of supply. I'd just keep nursing.
  • bwow615bwow615 member
    LO made it today with just the 2 pumped bottles. He had 2 pouches of of purees and for dinner he had roasted zucchini. He shoveled the zucchini in his mouth and loved it. Maybe I shouldn't be so concerned about not being able to pump so much. I guess things kinda just have a way of working themselves out. 
  • @swiebe I wouldn't worry. At this point solids are starting to become their main source of nutrition. Many moms are feeding their kids 3 meals and 2 snacks. It's natural for them to start taking less bm. Mine is only taking around 16 oz a day, but eats a bunch of solids. She is starting to prefer them now. If you're worried, I would start feeding 3 solid healthy meals a day to help supplement the nutrition if he is taking less bm. Just my two cents. 
  • bwow615bwow615 member
    @7425cait Thank you!  I think I will plan on adding some more solids for peace of mind.