October 2016 Moms

Birth Control after delivery

2»

Re: Birth Control after delivery

• simcal18 said:
    Uggggh.  I have no idea what we're going to do.  I used BCP for the first three years of my relationship with DH, as well as a couple of short-term stints beforehand to regulate some cycle wonkiness, and I never had any issues with it.  But I'm worried about it interfering with breastfeeding.  Plus, since I'm hitting my mid-30s and we'll likely be trying for #2 once this baby hits 2, I'm a little bit concerned about it messing with my cycle when I need to come off it.  The idea of an IUD skeeves me out a bit and doesn't seem to be the right solution given that we'll be looking for relatively short-term BCP.  

I'm guessing we'll wind up using a combination of FAM and condoms until we're ready to TTC again.  I actually enjoy tracking my cycles so it doesn't feel like a burden to me, and if we slip up and wind up having #2 a little sooner than anticipated, so be it.
    I think this will be us too. FAM plus the pull out method... I don't want to mess with BF either and I'll be 32 when this baby is born. I don't see us waiting past a year or 2 to try for #2 and I don't want to waste too much time. 

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• MRSCORKER said:
    simcal18 said:
    Uggggh.  I have no idea what we're going to do.  I used BCP for the first three years of my relationship with DH, as well as a couple of short-term stints beforehand to regulate some cycle wonkiness, and I never had any issues with it.  But I'm worried about it interfering with breastfeeding.  Plus, since I'm hitting my mid-30s and we'll likely be trying for #2 once this baby hits 2, I'm a little bit concerned about it messing with my cycle when I need to come off it.  The idea of an IUD skeeves me out a bit and doesn't seem to be the right solution given that we'll be looking for relatively short-term BCP.  

I'm guessing we'll wind up using a combination of FAM and condoms until we're ready to TTC again.  I actually enjoy tracking my cycles so it doesn't feel like a burden to me, and if we slip up and wind up having #2 a little sooner than anticipated, so be it.
    I think this will be us too. FAM plus the pull out method... I don't want to mess with BF either and I'll be 32 when this baby is born. I don't see us waiting past a year or 2 to try for #2 and I don't want to waste too much time. 
    This was us. I wanted to get pregnant ASAP after DS was born, so we skipped BC entirely. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I think this will be us too. It took us 14 months to TTC this one (our 1st) with my super long cycles and some minor MFI issues. We want 2-3 children and relatively close in age anyway so we'll most likely just see what happens. No telling how short or long it could take with the next one (fingers crossed it will happen).
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • After discussing it with FI, chances are we will be trying for one more in the next few years. The thought of an IUD weirds me out even though so many of you have good things to say about them! I have also learned that all the IUDs/Implants are progrsterone-only so that eases my mind greatly considering I love the mini pill but had awful experiences with combo pills! I think Nexplanon is what I'm going to go with personally after doing my research. It lasts for 3 years which is the perfect amount of time for us, and I won't have to give it a thought until then. 
    My cycles are messed up regardless and honestly the mini pill is what finally put me back on a normal track, so I'm not too worried about the implant making them worse when it comes time to have it removed.
  • I had a copper IUD after my Daughter lasted 4 months. It was 4 months of bleeding 4 months of some days not being able to walk so I had it removed in emerg I would not recommend it only good thing about it was it had no hormones. 
  • We'll use condoms again after this little one is born, unless my husband decides to get a vasectomy.  He doesn't care for condoms (and neither do I) so I'm hoping it won't be long before he decides that is the way to go.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I can't imagine going back to condoms after going without for so long. I would be the irresponsible one who says "Oh c'mon just take it off, ONE time won't hurt" haha I need something to be responsible FOR me in that respect.
  • I was on Ortho Tri Cylene in college, but I ended up being one of the unlucky few who, because of the hormones and a genetic mutation, got a serious blood clot (DVT).  Having my parents find out I wasn't a virgin from my doctor (I was 19, so she definitely violated patient-doctor confidentiality with that one) while I was in the hospital undergoing a balloon angioplasty in my leg was a ton of fun.  So no hormonal birth control for me.  Like you, @AllyTheKid my husband really wants a girl, but this is our second boy.  We had agreed that we only wanted two and will probably stick to that plan (I am not good at being pregnant AND the chances that the third will be a girl are only 50/50, so probably not worth it if our ONLY reason to want another is to try for a girl), but I will probably get an IUD until we're absolutely sure we're done, at which point my husband will have a vasectomy.
  • I can't imagine going back to condoms after going without for so long. I would be the irresponsible one who says "Oh c'mon just take it off, ONE time won't hurt" haha I need something to be responsible FOR me in that respect.
    This is how we got our O16 baby. 
  • I'm hoping to talk him into using the pull out method and condoms around fertile period. Took 8 months of trying off birth control and my cycles were wacky. I really don't want to go through that again. Plus we haven't decided if we are going to stop and be one and done or have one more. If we decide to just have the one, he will get a vasectomy.
  • purelexpurelex member
    edited April 2016
    We will probably skip the BC also as my DH informed me recently that he'd prefer to have children closer in age rather than spaced out a couple years apart.  That being said, I've been on and off birth control since I was 13 due to horrendous cystic acne and a lot of Accutane.  I started on BCP (Orthotricyclen) for years and never had any issues with it.  After I stopped taking it for a while and wanted to get back on BCP in college, it made me super nauseous so I switched to Alesse (I believe that's what it's called) and did OK with that but I had trouble finding time to get my prescriptions refilled (had to go to a military base 1.5 hours from my school) so I fell off of it again.

After the BCPs, I tried Nuvaring.  Loved the convenience but I literally had no sex drive.  Honestly, I'm not sure it ever really recovered and DH wasn't too thrilled with it because he didn't like the feel or the inopportune timing of having to remove it in the heat of the moment.  It's been a while but I think it also made me nauseous, occasionally.

Sooo.... then I switched to Mirena.  Convenience factor was awesome and I had it in for the full 5 years.  No periods, which was nice, and I only had the occasional cramping and spotting every few months, if that.  Insertion sucked, a lot, but I didn't have children beforehand so it might have been worse for me.  The pain left me super nauseous and I'm pretty sure I left some serious bruises on DH's arm when he picked me up from my appointment from gripping him so hard.  Removal was a piece of cake (turn your head and cough!), though, and no lasting effects in getting pregnant.

I think we'll just stick to avoiding fertile cycles in the future or maybe one of the IUDs again if I had to pick (or DH really pushes it), but I'd just prefer to avoid anything hormonal if I can.  I don't have any proof or even any research to back this up, but I've felt like the different birth controls may have contributed to my weird hormone levels and my two miscarriages.  It's probably just my crazy talking :smile:

ETA: typing is hard.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Our form of birth control has always been condoms and then after we were married I tracked my cycles and we avoided days around ovulation and the pull out method. After the baby is here and until my cycles are more regular (if that happens because I want to try to BF), we will use condoms again. We definitely want more children so I would rather not be on a HBC or a BCP if I don't have to be, I never liked it when I was on it in the past.
    DH: 29 | Me: 29 
    Dating: 10/3/08 | Married: 12/27/14
    TTC #1: August 2015 | BFP: 2/3/16 | EDD: 10/7/16
    DD: 10/5/16
    TTC #2: September 2017 | BFP: 4/28/18 | EDD: 1/7/19
    DS: 1/9/19
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I have only ever used the pill and NFP, well, and condoms.  Once I got off the pill it took us 5 years to get pregnant, so I won't be using hormonal birth control again.  The Creighton Model of natural family planning is supposed to be the most effective and pretty easy to learn.  I plan to take the class after this pregnancy, but we just kind of winged it between DD and this LO.  
  • I'm leaning towards getting a diaphragm after this birth and using it as needed until we try for number 2. Husband plans to get a vasectomy one were done with babies but we're only just now getting started.