February 2016 Moms

UO Thursday

happy Thursday ladies! 

Re: UO Thursday

• I hate the idea of a dream feed, why am I risking waking a sleeping baby??

p.s this is coming from baby wise, thanks to some helpful suggestions on this board we started on Monday. I just can't wrap my head around that part after spending an hr getting him to sleep! ;) 
  • @srecupido dream feeds never worked for me and my LO sleeps just fine!

• Loading the player...
  • srecupido said:
    I hate the idea of a dream feed, why am I risking waking a sleeping baby??

p.s this is coming from baby wise, thanks to some helpful suggestions on this board we started on Monday. I just can't wrap my head around that part after spending an hr getting him to sleep! ;) 
    I feed my LO for the last time at 815 and he sleeps till 6. No way I'm waking up a sleeping baby to feed him. Ever.
  • Jon Snow could still be alive! Or maybe that is just wishful thinking :-)
    I am 27, DH is 26.
    We have been married since September 28, 2013.
    We had our first child, Zoey, February 7, 2016.

images 300168
  • smn14smn14 member
    =caenis= said:
    I don't see a problem feeding my baby on demand or using my boob as a pacifier. I mean...breastmilk has seratonin and if he's fussy and tired but fighting sleep, it calms him down and sometimes knocks him out instantly. Why wouldn't I use that to my advantage?

It sure has saved me a lot of time. I used to try and keep him on a 2-3 hour schedule between feedings and tried not to soothe him with breastfeeding if it wasn't "time," and I'd sometimes spend over an hour soothing him when breastfeeding would solve the issue in under 5 min! 

There are a few family members and family friends who clearly disagree. I mean, they're not rude about it or forceful, but I get a sort of disapproving look paired with comments like, "didn't he just eat?"  and "you're feeding him again?" 

Yes. I am.
    This!! I had a week away with my extended family and all I heard was 'is she still hungry?!' Or 'are you feeding again?!' Constantly! 

My favourite comment was the combo from my dad of...'I don't remember you being this hungry in the evening' (whilst my LO was doing her daily evening  cluster feed)..then he said....'You did scream all evening and nothing would console you!' 
    Hmnm...perhaps I was hungry lol!
    is cluster feeding a new thing unknown to our parents' generation?!
  • @smn14 I really think it is, we were mostly formula babies and there wasn't a thought of 'boob comforting' 
  • meg+on+the+DLmeg+on+the+DL member
    edited April 2016
    @katieashley13 RIGHT?! This is a picture of my friend's 16 yo daughters prom dress. Are we kidding me?!? DD will never leave my house dressed like that. This isn't Hollywood!?!?
  • srecupido said:
    I hate the idea of a dream feed, why am I risking waking a sleeping baby??

My baby won't dream feed or nurse to sleep before her first put down of the night. She always goes to sleep after a wake time. I've tried to nurse her to bed and dream feed once and I'll never do it again. She woke up 3 hours later both times. Makes no sense!

My UO is that I don't understand the Victoria's Secret argument with the whole "normalize breastfeeding" movement. Showing that breasts are sexualized is exactly why people say they're uncomfortable with them being out in public. And let's be serious, if a woman walked down the street in lingerie people would definitely flip out.

Let me clarify that breastfeeding in public doesn't bother me (it did slightly before I had a baby). I'm all for doing what you gotta/wanna do with how you feed your baby. Especially after the hospital birth stay, I didn't even feel like I had "private" parts after that experience! Haha! So I'm really not an advocate either way. If I need to feed her, I'm going to. I could care less what people think. But I'm also not running around whipping out boobies to prove a point.
  • @=caenis= yes!!! Times a million!! It irritates the hell out of me. I now just say something about the frequent feedings during the day being the reason why she sleeps at least 5 hours in the first stretch at night (and usually closer to 6-7hrs). Which shuts people up. And I totally agree with @srecupido most of our family says stuff like that because no one breastfed. They have adjusted a bit though which is nice. 
  • @srecupido I have tried on multiple occasions to "dream feed" DS2 around midnight after I stayed up too late sewing or watching a movie and was too uncomfortable to sleep without emptying the boobs first. He will certainly eat without waking but it did not extend his usual 4-6 am wake up any longer. Really just caused irritation for me bc then I was all "whaaaat, you ate 4 hours ago, go back to sleep" when he woke up at 4 am. 

@katieashley13 I haaaate the two piece prom "dresses" too! Maybe I'm becoming an old lady, but that bandeau bra and giant fluffy skirt look ridiculous together and do not constitute a "dress" 
  • I'm not sure if this is a UO or a FFFC, but I kind of want a minivan. I swore I'd never get one, but when this car wears out (5+ years), I'm seriously considering it. They're just so dang convenient with kids! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @VitaLuna omg I have totally been thinking the same thing about minivans! I grew up with them but DH didn't. And he's super opposed to be having anything without 4wd/AWD.

@smn14 it's definitely a generation/culture thing. Both DHs mom and grandmas didn't breastfeed. So they don't understand the logistics behind it, how they can't feed them, and cluster feeding. However my whole family breastfed. My mom breastfed me for 18months(some of which she was pregnant with my sister). My mom and dad also both did baby wearing so they just must have been ahead of their time lol.
  • jarob747jarob747 member
    edited April 2016
    I bought a suburban cause I couldn't stand the thought of a mini van plus I live in the sticks down miles of gravel roads so I do need 4WD. It fits everything with 3 kids, pulls tailors, and I can go in the 3rd row to BF and lay baby down for diaper chang while kids watch DVD player in 2nd row.  Lovin my suburban ;) If I lived in town, I may have considered a mini van as they are so convenient with kids and really nice.
  • I had to borrow my SIL minivan the other day and I totally loved it. So roomy and comfortable! Haha if/when kid #3 arrives on the scene- I'm going to want one. From the previous comments it seems like you can't get a minivan with 4 wheel drive? I guess that'd be a reason to not get one as we can get some serious snow by me. What a bummer!