2 months pregnant & just got laid off — The Bump
1st Trimester

2 months pregnant & just got laid off

hello everyone! I am here to vent as I've been crying since I got home after news of being laid off today. I never got to tell my job I was pregnant. So many mixed emotions I am having my 1st sonogram on Monday.  Do I look for another job & then deal with the stress of telling them I'm pregnant later on? I have a 2 1/2yr old in daycare- I would have to pull her out of it. ... Just looking for any advice how to deal with this... 

Re: 2 months pregnant & just got laid off

• So sorry for you. Advice really depends on your personal situation. Financially do you need to work full time/part time. Being it was laid off do you qualify for unemployment? Can you afford to not work until after this baby? Is your career something that new employment options are readily available and easy to come by? If you do go back to work chances are you wont qualify for leave so that's something else to consider. The best advice I can give is to try to relax and unwind and wait a day or two until you can think a little more clearly and then weigh the pros and cons of every option. Good luck. 

MissBlair226FemShepMagallyta
  • Loading the player...
  • I am almost 3 months and just had the same thing happen, so I feel your pain. We can't afford for me to stay home indefinitely so I'm looking for a job. Fortunately I'm not showing yet so I can not tell a new employer until I feel the time is right, as long as I find job soon. Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • I'm so sorry you got laid off ! Being pregnant is already stressful enough . I would say go for a new job if you need to work . It isn't anyone's business that you are pregnant . You can tell them later . They legally can't discriminate against you . Best of luck ! Hang in there 

**BFP and loss warning**

Me: 29
    DH: 29
    Us: Married Valentine's Day, 2015
    DH: No issues.
    Me: PCOS, unexplained infertility (whatever that means!!)
    June 2015 Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    July 2015:  Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    August 2015: IUI: BFP. Chemical pregnancy :(
    October 2015: IUI: BFN
    January 2016: Egg retrieval: 10 frozen embryos!
    March 2016: FET Cycle- 2 embryos transferred!: BFP !
  • I'm sorry you have to deal with this. If you need a job financially then I would go ahead and start looking. There is no need to tell a potential employer that you are pregnant, and legally they cant ask you either. When I was 6 months pregnant an opening became available in my dream job and I decided to apply even though it seemed like weird timing. I was very obviously pregnant when I interviewed but they couldn't ask me anything about it. After they offered me the position then they asked when I was due and how much time i would plan to take off. 

The biggest down side to starting a new job while pregnant is that you likely won't qualify for STD since a lot of places require you to work there for a year first, also you wont have as much vacation time saved up, but it would be better to start looking sooner rather than later if you need the income.