3rd Trimester

Measuring large for dates

I recently had an ultrasound to investigate why I was measuring ahead.  Doctor says, according to ultrasound results, baby measures 3weeks ahead. They are confident in my due date, and glucola test was normal, so doctor tells me to watch what I eat and try exercising since the baby is so big.  I remind her that I'm 30 weeks and have only gained 13 lbs. She says that my calories could be going straight to the baby, so he's getting bigger even tho I'm not.  WHAT? is this even possible? My husband and I are both tall and were both large babies so I assumed that was the reason. I would feel terrible if my eating habbits were to blame... I do eat a lot, but I exercise every day!  Can my baby be large because of me even though IM not gaining too much???

Re: Measuring large for dates

• US later in pregnancy are not always completely accurate. Baby can be bigger or smaller and the most dependable ultrasound for EDD are the ones done early in the pregnancy. My LO measured and weighted bigger at birth than DH and I. I gained 42 lbs (started at 110) and was very surprised at how big he was. I always "measured" ahead and OB never seemed concerned. I delivered at 39 weeks. Can't imagine how big he would of been if I went the full 40-42. 
  • I just had this happen to me, supposed to be 31 measuring 34 weeks. I have a dating us next week to see what the deal is, but my doctors said nothing like yours. When they felt him I have a strong feeling he's just long. And like pugs said, genetics. My Nana's mom had 13 kids and some of the boys were 11/12lbs and she was 4'll. I was 8.2 and my DH was 8.5, lots of factors.
  • Loading the player...
  • edited April 2016
    Also, just noticed this is a double post OP.
  • I know the size estimates can be off, I just had never heard of overeating to blame when I personally haven't gained much weight.  Doesn't make sense to me!

• It sounds like your doctor is a dick. 
  • WevilleWeville member
    I'm also measuring three weeks ahead (from an ultrasound) and my doctor's reaction was you are tall, your husband is tall, your baby is long and probably won't be small
  • If you watch the ultrasound monitor closely while they measure baby, you'll see the weeks estimation with each measurement. Last sizing ultrasound I had, her head measured 34w4d (I was 34w1d), tummy measured 36w5d, and long bone measured 35w3d. They combine all those together to get the estimated gestational age, and as already mentioned, sizing ultrasounds in later pregnancy are WILDLY inaccurate. Keep an eye on those measurements if you can and it'll give you a little more insight into "how" the baby is big...if baby's thigh bone is measuring 40+wks, you know your baby is probly super tall ;)
  • ecwkecwk member
    If you watch the ultrasound monitor closely while they measure baby, you'll see the weeks estimation with each measurement. Last sizing ultrasound I had, her head measured 34w4d (I was 34w1d), tummy measured 36w5d, and long bone measured 35w3d. They combine all those together to get the estimated gestational age, and as already mentioned, sizing ultrasounds in later pregnancy are WILDLY inaccurate. Keep an eye on those measurements if you can and it'll give you a little more insight into "how" the baby is big...if baby's thigh bone is measuring 40+wks, you know your baby is probly super tall ;)
    She's probably already given birth....

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker