Pregnant after 35

Cloth diapering

2»

Re: Cloth diapering

• carrieandrcarrieandr member
    edited April 2016
    @jilligan14, you might want to try each fold with your baby and see what works best. The girl that taught the class preferred the jelly roll. Newspaper was her second choice and she wasn't a big fan of the twist. (She twisted  it up front for boys.) And the snappi is easy -- the back corners of the diaper wrap around to the front just like a disposable. Hook each of those corners and hook the front. The snappi is Y shaped and has little plastic teeth for hooking itself to the cloth.

@alitria I like the idea of contoured prefolds for less bulkiness between the legs, but I worry that it leaves less cloth to absorb, as well as gives a better chance for blowouts vs the jelly roll fold. Did you run into those problems? If not, I'd definitely get the contoured kind.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• Oh wow, I'm such a novice. I had no idea there were multiple ways to fold a prefold.
  • Loading the player...
  • @CarrieandRoy the prefolds I had weren't contoured, they were just a bit shorter so the newborn and small size would fit into the nb/small covers.  If you buy the one size prefolds, especially the ones not cut to fit inside a diaper cover, you end up with this weird bulge of fabric around the waist where you're folding down so much on a newborn that it gets a little silly.  The sides of mine were still straight though, so I could fold the sides in at the middle to get the extra layers of absorbency and then have the open parts at each end to pull around the sides like wings to fasten with a Snappi.  I hope that makes sense because I'm not sure how to describe it. 

The other option if you like the trimness of the contoured diapers but want more absorbency is to buy some of the smaller inserts you can buy for pocket diapers and use them as a doubler to just lay in the middle.  The microfiber ones shouldn't be against the baby's skin, but the bamboo and hemp ones can be.  It's great for when you are going to be out and don't necessarily have the ability to change right away but don't want the baby to soak through.  We would sometimes just lay an extra one of top of our pockets when I was leaving the house for a little extra protection.  If you have the bamboo ones they're very thin, but absorb a lot
    and can just be tossed in with your other diapers. 

If you're going the route of prefolds and covers, having a couple fitted diapers on hand for overnight to use inside the covers when the baby will be going longer at night without a change is a great option as well.  They hold more than a prefold but let you stick to just using your covers at night as well.  They're also handy to have if you have to leave the baby with a sitter for a while and don't want to use disposables because you don't have to know how to fold anything. 

I wish I had unpacked all of my diaper stuff already because this would be much easier if I could take pictures! 
  • And since I used some this morning for my geriatric, pukey cat, I thought I'd post a picture of the Bac Out product I use, since Biokleen/Bac Out have a few different products.  I will say that I can get this at my local store for around $8/bottle as opposed to the price they're charging here so it's worth looking for if you have a grocery store with a large natural selection or co-op.  In WA, I can get it a few places, but typically buy mine in the natural food section at Fred Meyer and not with the other cleaning products.  I like it because if I had a gross stain, I could rinse with the diaper sprayer, douse it a couple squirts of this stuff and then put it in the pail to wash at my regular time instead of feeling like I had to rush to wash and get out the stain.  It also helped me rescue a couple diapers I had the misfortune to open that were in my husband's trunk thinking they were recent and then discovering he'd forgotten them for I don't even want to know how long. 

https://www.amazon.com/Biokleen-Bac-Out-Stain-Remover-Ounces/dp/B0009ET4XQ/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1461782437&sr=8-3&keywords=bac+out
  • @CarrieandRoy What covers did they recommend with the prefolds? I'm still liking the look of the GroVia covers.
    ME: 36 (PCOS), DH: excellent SA
    NTNP since 11/12, actively trying since 8/14
    m/c @ 7w (4/22/14), m/c @ 6w (11/19/14)
    11/15: Letrozole, Ovidrel, TI = BFP!!!
    Beta #1(14dpo)=349, Beta #2(18dpo)=2,805
    12/17/15: Got to see the heartbeat (105bpm)!
    1/25/16: NT scan = normal (HB=163bpm)
    EDD: 8/10/16 
    8/8/16: Baby boy born @ 12:25am, 8lbs, 20.5 inches
    5/18/17: BFP!!! (11dpo)
    Beta #1(12dpo)=176.4, Beta #2(15dpo)=607.1
  • @jilligan14 she used Thirsties and Rumparooz, but suggested I try a few to see what fits my baby best.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• mthoomommthoomom member
    edited May 2016
    @CarrieandRoy I'm cloth diapering my little guy, and it's a new process for me since I just used disposables with my other kids. It's truly been a learning experience. I tried to start out cloth diapering him as a new, new baby, but it was a massive failure. Newborns poop ALL THE TIME, and so not only was I struggling with how to get a prefold on a baby that was screaming bloody murder, it seemed like I was doing it every five minutes! He also had a diaper rash that lasted about 4 weeks that we think was happening because he was pooping all the time and his poop was very acidic. Anyway, the whole process was making me miserable! 

Because of this I threw in the towel on using CD's on a newborn, and tried again when he started to fit into the pocket diapers (Fuzzibunz) that we had purchased months before he was born. I think this was at about 5 weeks? I absolutely love the Fuzzibunz because they have a fleece liner that helps keep moisture away from the baby's skin, and they are fairly trim for a cloth diaper (you will find that you have to size up baby's clothing because of the bulk of the diapers.) Also, you can customize the pocket diapers a bit; for example, I fold up a newborn sized prefold and put it in the pocket for nighttime, because, although it is a bit bulky, it absorbs a lot and saves the need for more frequent changes at night. I also have prefolds and covers. They are a bit trickier to use than the pocket diapers, but they are definitely the cheapest option, and work pretty well at absorbing messes. We bought Rumparooz brand covers and prefolds from green mountain diapers. 

We don't use a cloth diaper pail. Instead we use two large wet bags with zippers that we bought off the rumparooz website. They are fantastic and I highly recommend them. I hang them off my son's dresser, and when they get full I just wash them along with my cloth diapers. 

I definitely recommend buying a few different kinds of diapers before committing hundreds of $$$ to one kind. You just don't know what you will like using, or what will fit your baby the best. I bought a bunch of fuzzibunz because my sister used them and love them, but I wish I hadn't bought a whole stash of diaper covers before using them on my baby. He has super chunky thighs, and I think another brand might have worked better for us. 

• Thanks @mthoomom! I'm definitely planning on experimenting before I invest in anything. I'm going to start with prefolds and go from there. I also registered for a big box of disposables in newborn and size 1 as a back-up.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)