2nd Trimester

First Baby Must-haves!

Hello! 

We are expecting our first baby 8/8/16 and can't wait! We are following the Jewish traditions and not having a shower prior to our baby arriving as we will either have a bris or baby naming shortly after our little bundle has arrived. Obviously we need to be prepared with some items. Aside from a place for baby to sleep, bottles, clothes, car seat, what would you absolutely recommend that we have when baby arrives? If it's a boy, our bris will take place 8 days after birth. If it's a girl, we are having the naming at the end of August. :-) 

Thanks!! 

Re: First Baby Must-haves!

• Burp cloths, wipes, diapers, swaddling/receiving blankets all come to mind to add to what you've already said. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Not having a shower is a Jewish tradition? I have never heard of that one. Interesting.

You may also want to get a breast pump, on top of what you already mentioned. 

Ps. Old school cloth diapers make awesome shmatahs ;) that's what my parents gave me when I was little. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Jews find it to be bad luck to bring anything into the home before the baby arrives. my mother almost lost her mind when I got onesies last week bc they were cute. that said I don't do tradition lol
  • Thanks everyone! Yes, it's supposed to be bad luck to bring anything into the house prior to baby arriving, so no shower. That being said, we are trying to be minimalists so we at least have the basics to get us going. I appreciate the suggestions! 
  • Vaseline, rash cream, gripe water, face cloths, LOTS of recieving blankets, & swaddle blankets. some soft baby blankets that your LO can lay on. lots & lots of outfits.. they go through like, 10 a day, haha! something to baby wear would be helpful, especially for days when baby only wants to be held. a bottle warmer/sterilizer if you plan on using bottles. a bassinet or co-sleeper. a bouncer or swing. 2 boxes of newborn diapers (that's how many i used anyways) & diaper wipes. a diaper genie. pacifiers have been a life saver for me! a little baby care kit that comes with things like thermometers, nail files/clippers, a nasal aspirator, etc. baby shampoo & lotion. 
  • Thanks everyone! Yes, it's supposed to be bad luck to bring anything into the house prior to baby arriving, so no shower. That being said, we are trying to be minimalists so we at least have the basics to get us going. I appreciate the suggestions! 
    Ah. You learn something new every day!!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • kyraaD said:
    Vaseline, rash cream, gripe water, face cloths, LOTS of recieving blankets, & swaddle blankets. some soft baby blankets that your LO can lay on. lots & lots of outfits.. they go through like, 10 a day, haha! something to baby wear would be helpful, especially for days when baby only wants to be held. a bottle warmer/sterilizer if you plan on using bottles. a bassinet or co-sleeper. a bouncer or swing. 2 boxes of newborn diapers (that's how many i used anyways) & diaper wipes. a diaper genie. pacifiers have been a life saver for me! a little baby care kit that comes with things like thermometers, nail files/clippers, a nasal aspirator, etc. baby shampoo & lotion. 
    I didn't need most of this stuff. DD changes clothes maybe once a day? So far hasn't had a multi-outfit day. 

Also, she never fit into newborn diapers, just went straight to size ones. I had about 5 outfits for her (we were team green) but by the time she was about 4 days old, we were getting HUGE packages every day from family of clothes (I think people love buying girl's clothes). We still don't have a diaper genie - we just use a small garbage can and empty it pretty much every day. Didn't introduce a pacifier till she was at least 2 weeks old (but she never really needed one)

I may be the wrong person to ask, though- our house was being remodeled, so we had exactly nothing prepared till she was about 4 days old, so we went the minimalist route. But it worked for us. 
  • sarahufl said:
    kyraaD said:
    Vaseline, rash cream, gripe water, face cloths, LOTS of recieving blankets, & swaddle blankets. some soft baby blankets that your LO can lay on. lots & lots of outfits.. they go through like, 10 a day, haha! something to baby wear would be helpful, especially for days when baby only wants to be held. a bottle warmer/sterilizer if you plan on using bottles. a bassinet or co-sleeper. a bouncer or swing. 2 boxes of newborn diapers (that's how many i used anyways) & diaper wipes. a diaper genie. pacifiers have been a life saver for me! a little baby care kit that comes with things like thermometers, nail files/clippers, a nasal aspirator, etc. baby shampoo & lotion. 
    I didn't need most of this stuff. DD changes clothes maybe once a day? So far hasn't had a multi-outfit day. 

Also, she never fit into newborn diapers, just went straight to size ones. I had about 5 outfits for her (we were team green) but by the time she was about 4 days old, we were getting HUGE packages every day from family of clothes (I think people love buying girl's clothes). We still don't have a diaper genie - we just use a small garbage can and empty it pretty much every day. Didn't introduce a pacifier till she was at least 2 weeks old (but she never really needed one)

I may be the wrong person to ask, though- our house was being remodeled, so we had exactly nothing prepared till she was about 4 days old, so we went the minimalist route. But it worked for us. 
    well those are things i use on the daily for my little man, so that's why i suggested them. & honestly, I'd rather have stuff & turn out to not need it, than not have the things i need. it works for us. good for you for not needing a bunch of stuff for your baby tho. 
  • sarahufl said:
    kyraaD said:

My LO is nearly 6 months and I can count on one hand the number of multi- outfit days we've had also. It's generally been one outfit per day unless she's had a massive poopsplosion. 

I also never used receiving blankets or swaddle blankets as I can't swaddle to save my life! We did use a gro-swaddle though which is a swaddle with a zip, similar to a halo swaddle I think (I'm in the UK and we don't have halo swaddles here btw). That was a life saver in the first few weeks! 
  • Is a bottle warmer/sterilizer necessary? I've seen friends simply put their bottle into a cup of hot water to warm up. I plan on breast feeding, but am *hoping* I'll be able to pump and store so the hubs can help out with feeding too.
  • Is a bottle warmer/sterilizer necessary? I've seen friends simply put their bottle into a cup of hot water to warm up. I plan on breast feeding, but am *hoping* I'll be able to pump and store so the hubs can help out with feeding too.
    Nope. Granted I'm a FTM myself, but the advice I was given about a bottle warmer was that if I'm formula feeding, it would be convenient to not have to heat up water at ungodly hours. However, since I'm planning on BFing and pumping when I can, you can't store breast milk in those. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • sarahufl said:
    kyraaD said:

My LO is nearly 6 months and I can count on one hand the number of multi- outfit days we've had also. It's generally been one outfit per day unless she's had a massive poopsplosion. 

I also never used receiving blankets or swaddle blankets as I can't swaddle to save my life! We did use a gro-swaddle though which is a swaddle with a zip, similar to a halo swaddle I think (I'm in the UK and we don't have halo swaddles here btw). That was a life saver in the first few weeks! 

Man this makes me jealous.  Until she was about 8 months old, DD NEVER EVER came home from daycare in the same outfit she left the house in.  Mostly because until she was really eating solids her poop was essentially liquid and she had daily blowouts.  Sometimes multiple times a day really.  I was hand-scrubbing poop out of clothing for SO MANY MONTHS.  She also had reflux, so there was a fair amount of costume changes related to barf as well.

That said, DD also didn't wear actual clothes unless we were going in the car until she was like 4 weeks old.  Summer baby, so she was in a diaper and a muslin swaddle basically all day until that point.  She barely wore newborn clothes at all.  You realistically probably don't NEED a lot of clothes right away.  You'll figure out what you need as you go along.  Different for everyone!

It is definitely convenient. We didn't have one at first because I'm BFing, but once you decide to introduce pumped bottles, it is very nice to have. The whole heating water and waiting for cold milk to get to room temp or warmer thing takes too long, in my opinion, and really suuuuucks when you have a crying, hungry baby. We got this warmer and it was definitely worth the money and makes things so much easier when DH helps with feedings. It also has a basket that you can use to sanitize pacis (if you are doing that) and bottle nipples quickly and easily.
    https://www.amazon.com/First-Years-Quick-Bottle-Warmer/dp/B00005BXKM/ref=sr_1_2?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1461769039&sr=1-2&keywords=bottle+warmer+the+first+years

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    you certainly don't need one. when I'm out & about a cup with hot water works well enough. but when I'm at home i like to use the warmer. i find it heats the bottles up just a little bit faster, which is nice when it's the middle of the night &/or your baby is screaming. i also just clean his bottles in the sink with hot water & soap. i don't use a sterilizer, but i know a lot of people who do use them so i suggested it.

like a PP said, you'll find out what you need & what works best for you as you go along. as you can see, what one of us says they need, another says they don't. i have a very pukey baby, so i sometimes have to change his outfit after each feeding. i also go through recieving blankets like crazy! but if you don't end up with a pukey baby, you wont need nearly as much. same goes for everything else. what you need depends on the baby you get, haha.
  • Our LO frequently goes through 3 outfits a day. The one she barfs on, the one she poops on, and sometimes even the one she wees on (gotta love those sneaky girl wees while you are reaching for the clean nappy) so i have needed alot of clothes. I have also found the bottle warmer very handy, even though LO only has one bottle of EBM per day. even if you dont bother with a diaper genie, it is good to have a little bin next to the nappy table. I found lots of swaddles handy as LO is a bit of a spiller, so she quite often spills on them, and it was definitely handy to stock up on a few boxes of nappies. We brought 2 boxes of newborn and two boxes of 5-7kg to get started. Definitely lots of blankets! They like to poop/pee/puke on those too haha

Nope. My kids used what ever I gave them, warm or cold.