March 2016 Moms

Getting baby to sleep

I am having the hardest time getting my 5 week old to sleep for naps. I either have to nurse him forever and hold him until he's in a deep sleep (doesn't always work) or take him for a car ride. I also have a 2.5 year old so these options make it really hard. Because of my struggle, he gets overtired which makes it even harder. He hates all the carriers I've tried, doesn't like being rocked, and if I just set him in the rnp or bassinet he will fuss and cry. I'm going crazy! At night we bed share because of this and I really don't want to but need sleep. Any advice or suggestions? 
BFP #1 - 12/30/12 - EDD 9/13/13 - CP

BFP #2 - 2/13/13 - EDD 10/24/13 - born 10/29/13 - Kian Edward

BFP #3 - 7/16/15 - EDD 3/27/16 - born 3/23/16 - Liam James

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Getting baby to sleep

• Do you follow the  wake, eat, play, sleep routine? My LO has been having a hard time sleeping as well, and would not sleep anywhere other than my arms. I've been working with him to get him to sleep in his crib but it definitely requires patience. However I dont have a toddler to contend with as well. Do you swaddle your LO?
  • I've tried swaddling and following EASY but he cries so hard after just a few minutes. I could easily spend hours trying to get him to nap just for him to wake up 10 mins later. He will only take long naps if he falls asleep in his car seat.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • We're struggling with the same thing over here. I have a 2-year old and my 5 week old is causing all sorts of havoc with her lack of sleeping anywhere but in my arms. No advice unfortunately, just wanted you to know you're not alone. 
  • No real advice either just to keep trying. Asking as it sucks to hear them cry eventually they'll get tired enough to fall asleep. I'm in the same boat. I have a five week old and a 21 month old (they're exactly 20 months apart). And just recently my five week old has decided to need to be held to sleep or be awake and my 21 month old has just found his jealousy bug so he needs to be held all the time too. Have you tried a swing? My LO will sit in the swing for about 30-45min. When I had my first son a woman in the book store suggested the wonder weeks book. I never ended up getting it but did just order it for this one. It talks about mental leaps and when they might get super grumpy and stuff. I figured it's worth a shot to try might be something you want to check out. 
  • We're having the same problem here. He only wants to sleep on me. If I lay him down anywhere, even swaddled with a paci and white noise, he wakes right back up. I can't get anything done or spend any time with our 5yo. I'm trying to tell myself to give it a few weeks before it becomes a legitimate worry. In a few weeks I'm hoping he'll be able to self-soothe and go back to sleep when he pops those eyes open. But I'm still worried he won't...DS1 was at least able to nap in the swing at this age. 

Anniversary

• edited April 2016
    **lurking from February
    Is LO fussing or crying? Because there is a huge difference between the two. I was in the same boat as you are at 5 weeks and had to teach myself to let the fussiness go and only respond to crying. I felt like I was DD's worst enemy because she would fuss before going to sleep and I would get her. After I stopped picking her up for every fuss she actually slept.

• I was having this issue and completely agree with PP. If my LO is just fussing, I leave him be in his crib and he will usually fall asleep within 5-10 minutes. If he's crying, I'll check his diaper and try feeding again, sometimes he just needs to eat a little more before he'll fall asleep. Best of luck to all you mommies! 
  • I've been letting him fuss, but he starts crying after a couple minutes.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Very similar situation for me! I think my guy is usually gassy and that's why he constantly wants to be comforted. I've been burping him more and putting him in positions to help relieve gas. It seems to be helping. 
  • Do you have a yoga ball? I have a 2.5 year old and an 8 week old and the yoga ball worked/works like magic for both. I hold her upright against my chest, sit and bounce on it for a few minutes and she's out like a light. I bounce until she's in a good sleep (doesn't stir when I stop bouncing) and then put her in the rock n play.
    *TTC since July 2010
    *BFP #1- 11/12/12, m/c 11/16/12 @ 6 weeks
    *BFP #2- 1/23/13 EDD 10/4/13  

*Emma Rose: 10/8/13

*BFP #3- EDD 03/9/16

March '16 December Siggy Challenge- Favorite Christmas Movie/Quote
  • If you haven't already, try a white noise video! There's a ton of videos of static/ hairdryer/womb sounds on YouTube that go on for hours. Just recently discovered that they work like magic on my 8 week old. 
  • Update: we broke down and bought a swing. He's fallen asleep in there for 3 naps today!

Pregnancy Ticker

• I went to a seminar on infant sleep that my city offers. There are apparently different stages of sleep and before 3 months you need to get them into the deep sleep stage before putting them down or they are more likely to wake.  My LO goes from deep sleep to the lighter sleep when I put him down and one tip I got from the class was to just lay a hand on their chest until they get back into the deep sleep,  this works well for me.  I was using the swing a lot but it stopped working.  He is 8 weeks now and getting better,  but some days,  like today,  just doesn't want to sleep!  Good luck!