July 2016 Moms
Options

Ask a BTDT mom questions about birth/recovery/breastfeeding

Re: Ask a BTDT mom questions about birth/recovery/breastfeeding

• Options
    LDSJM123 said:
    Postpartum girdles were mentioned on the weight loss after baby thread but I don't care about the weight loss side of them. Did anyone think they helped with, well whatever it is they are supposed to help with besides weight loss? 
    I've read different things on them, they're meant to also help your stomach muscles return to normal but some say the opposite ends up happening because you're not actually strengthening your muscles, just holding them together while the girdle is on and makes it worse when it's off... 
  • Options
    kellz14 said:
    I've been reading up on the benefits of delayed baths for the LO and am considering delaying it 24 hours.  My only concern is having the baby be "icky" for 24 hours.  Had anyone done this?
    We did; the hospital promoted it. Baby won't be too icky. :) 
    "The cleaning, the scrubbing will wait til tomorrow,
    For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
    So, quiet down cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
    I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep."
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @kellz14 @Cosmic+Love What's the reasoning for delaying? I've never heard of that and I took a Bradley method course that I feel like would have mentioned something about it as it talked about a lot of options with newborn procedures. I think it would gross me out as I'm a neat freak and very easily queasy, but I didn't think I could stomach holding DD before a bath when she was born and surprised myself by not caring at all.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    LDSJM123 said:
    Postpartum girdles were mentioned on the weight loss after baby thread but I don't care about the weight loss side of them. Did anyone think they helped with, well whatever it is they are supposed to help with besides weight loss? 
    I've read different things on them, they're meant to also help your stomach muscles return to normal but some say the opposite ends up happening because you're not actually strengthening your muscles, just holding them together while the girdle is on and makes it worse when it's off... 
    I am getting one. With my first, I had diastasis recti and a c-section. The only thing that made it feel better, was having pressure on it. Constantly pushing a pillow on it was a pain, unless I was just sitting around...then it was no big deal. But it would be nice to have something that is giving me a little bit more support while I am recovering. Even though my OB said that my ab gap was wide enough that I would need surgery to fix it (another OB said the same), I did manage to close it almost completely two years ago. I didn't keep up the exercises though, so I am anticipating that it is going to separate again, and I am going to have a RCS....so I will be kind of in the same boat that I was the last time around. I am not using it for weight loss, but for additional support during the first week or so. 
    So I am thinking about attempting a natural birth, however my biggest fear is reaching the point where its too late to get an epidural, but then the pain becomes unbearable...for those who have had a natural birth, what are your thoughts on this? 
  • Options
    slorbets said:
    So I am thinking about attempting a natural birth, however my biggest fear is reaching the point where its too late to get an epidural, but then the pain becomes unbearable...for those who have had a natural birth, what are your thoughts on this? 
    This is what sorta convinced me to in the very least start to prepare for a natural childbirth... Epidurals don't always work, wear off, or you dilate so quickly that there's not enough time anyway... I say if your interested in to either read some natural childbirth technique books or perhaps sign up for a class to prep... 

(Im reading Hypnobirthing and am going to order the HypnoBabies course after my next OB appointment)

• Options
    I am getting one. With my first, I had diastasis recti and a c-section. The only thing that made it feel better, was having pressure on it. Constantly pushing a pillow on it was a pain, unless I was just sitting around...then it was no big deal. But it would be nice to have something that is giving me a little bit more support while I am recovering. Even though my OB said that my ab gap was wide enough that I would need surgery to fix it (another OB said the same), I did manage to close it almost completely two years ago. I didn't keep up the exercises though, so I am anticipating that it is going to separate again, and I am going to have a RCS....so I will be kind of in the same boat that I was the last time around. I am not using it for weight loss, but for additional support during the first week or so. 

@PhoebeJune1984 did you know you had diastasis recti before birth or did you find out while you were recovering from the c-section? I never really felt like I needed a binder or anything after my first c-section but I was wondering now if I wouldn't realize until too late that I wished I had one. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DataJane said:

@PhoebeJune1984 did you know you had diastasis recti before birth or did you find out while you were recovering from the c-section? I never really felt like I needed a binder or anything after my first c-section but I was wondering now if I wouldn't realize until too late that I wished I had one. 
    After. My stomach was hard when I was pregnant, so I didn't feel it until after I had DD and everything was loose and saggy. I had a 1.5 (or so) inch gap between my ab muscles....and you could totally feel it, because it was deep...like the Grand Canyon. HAHA! 
    Any second time Moms have an opinion on the attached info graph birthplan?  I found it online at mamanatural.com and was wondering if you think doctors/midwives/nurses would respond positively or negatively.  Personally I like visual things but I know everyone is different.  You can edit it to delete/add items.
  • Options
    @whataboutscience I love it and want to steal it! So simple. 
  • Options
    @whataboutscience I love the idea of bringing in a gift for the nurses!
  • Options
    I think this might be silly, but anything special I need to know about washing LOs clothes?  We typically line dry, so i guess I'm more concerned with washing (special detergent, wash separately...)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me: 29 & Husband: 36                                                         
    Married: October 2014
    NTNP: April 2015 - June 2015
    M/C: June 2015
    TTC #1 since September 2015
    BFP: 11/9/15 - EDD: 7/24/16
  • Options
    megstervt said:
    I think this might be silly, but anything special I need to know about washing LOs clothes?  We typically line dry, so i guess I'm more concerned with washing (special detergent, wash separately...)
    You don't need any special detergent, just something that is "free & clear". Tons of different companies make free & clear versions: All, Tide, Method, Cheer, Seventh Generation, etc. We wash all of our clothing with free & clear, and don't use dryer sheets....so we don't bother separating anything. 
  • Options
    @hreed7289 I actually don't see anything wrong with it... I find it strange that a medical profession would take offense to someone being informed about their birth and have a n idea about how they would like things to proceed.
  • Options
    Any STMs have experience with a Petunia Picklebottom diaper bag? I really like the styles offered, but want to know if it's worth it before I put up the cash to pay for one. Thanks!!
    I used the boxy style one with my old nanny kid. I have a sashay satchel one that I use for a bit as a diaper bag and then ended up using it more for my laptop and bringing things to/from work. I think that it really depends on your style, how much you want to spend, and such. The boxy one was more comfortable to wear as a backpack. The satchel one came with backpack straps, but was more comfortable to carry in my hands or putting the hand straps on my shoulder. If you add yourself to their website mailing list, they will send emails when they have their good sales!
  • Options
    @jlmartinez517 They hold up really well and have some cute patterns, but I don't know if I would get one to use only as a diaper bag. With DD, I used a JJ Cole diaper bag that went across my shoulders (but also had handles), and I ended up keeping it for using when I had to pack a lot of stuff.....since it held a lot. Even though I have the PPB satchel, the opening is small and it since I am going to be doing more baby wearing, I am going with a Fisher Price FastFinder this time around...since it is just a solid black backpack and my husband can wear that while I wear the baby.
    I bought one with my first and LOVED IT! I didn't feel like a had to lug a mom bag around. Splurged for the cake one I coveted this time! :)
  • Options
    I had one. It was pretty, but I stopped using it after my daughter was a little older and opted for a plain tote instead. The opening was small so it was hard to get things out one-handed. Also I got tired of the pattern. I'll probably use it again for a bit! 

Nordstrom Rack usually has a few styles. You can buy online :) 
  • Options
    Sounds a little weird if you haven't been there, but if you breastfeed, you may have breast squirtage after your milk comes in.  My husband was terrified that he might get "that icky stuff" on him and was afraid to touch the upper half of my body for fear of getting hit in the face.  It was funny after I threatened to spray him every time he made me mad.  It may be uncomfortable or temporarily hurt when the milk drops.

On the bleeding issue, I think I had moderately heavy bleeding for about 10 days after DS was born.  I used the super jumbo maxi pads and felt like I wore a diaper.  It wasn't that bad.  On a semi-similar note, make sure you are discharged on a stool softener if you have a vaginal delivery.  My midwife was horrible and I left on Percocet (can cause constipation), a prenatal vitamin with iron, another iron supplement (but never said anything about anemia) and a second degree tear.  It hurt very badly.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    @klaulis  Absolutly agree on the stool softener! It's worth having a bottle at home. They gave them to me at the hospital but didn't send me home with any. 
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Daycare question here for anyone who can help or is dealing with the same thing...
    We're doing a meet and greet with our top choice next week. What are some intelligent questions to ask? Some background: It's a home based daycare a block from my school (job) and she only watches our district's teacher's kiddos. She is an ex-teacher herself. She comes HIGHLY recommended from several co-workers so I've already touched base with other clients. I know her cost, schedule, and work history. He won't be starting with her until he is 6 months old. What else are important things to ask never having done this?
  • Options
    klaulis said:
    Sounds a little weird if you haven't been there, but if you breastfeed, you may have breast squirtage after your milk comes in.  My husband was terrified that he might get "that icky stuff" on him and was afraid to touch the upper half of my body for fear of getting hit in the face.  It was funny after I threatened to spray him every time he made me mad.  It may be uncomfortable or temporarily hurt when the milk drops.

On the bleeding issue, I think I had moderately heavy bleeding for about 10 days after DS was born.  I used the super jumbo maxi pads and felt like I wore a diaper.  It wasn't that bad.  On a semi-similar note, make sure you are discharged on a stool softener if you have a vaginal delivery.  My midwife was horrible and I left on Percocet (can cause constipation), a prenatal vitamin with iron, another iron supplement (but never said anything about anemia) and a second degree tear.  It hurt very badly.
    Make sure you get a stool softener regardless of your birth method, not just a vaginal delivery. Many pain management meds have constipating effects, take the stool softener! And if your doctor doesn't order one, ask for it.
  • Options
    Daycare question here for anyone who can help or is dealing with the same thing...
    We're doing a meet and greet with our top choice next week. What are some intelligent questions to ask? Some background: It's a home based daycare a block from my school (job) and she only watches our district's teacher's kiddos. She is an ex-teacher herself. She comes HIGHLY recommended from several co-workers so I've already touched base with other clients. I know her cost, schedule, and work history. He won't be starting with her until he is 6 months old. What else are important things to ask never having done this?
    I also use a home daycare. Some things I wanted to know were - 
    Does anyone in the home smoke?
    Do you have pets? 
    Do you ever take the kids anywhere? Some take kids on errands, so you'd want to know that ahead of time. 
    What is your sick child policy? 
    Are you licensed? What's the maximum number of children you will take?
    Are there any other adults who will be around the children while they are in her care? 
    Are there any days you are closed? (Holiday/vacation days) May not be an issue since she watches all teachers' kids. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    klaulis said:

Make sure you get a stool softener regardless of your birth method, not just a vaginal delivery. Many pain management meds have constipating effects, take the stool softener! And if your doctor doesn't order one, ask for it.
    This! I had a c-section and the stool softeners were the greatest things ever when being on pain medication.