February 2016 Moms

Formula fed babies eating less?

My LO is 11 weeks and for the past month he's been eating 5oz every 3 hours during the day and then 6oz first thing in the morning and an occasional 2-3 oz snack. He was eating between 28-30 oz every 24hrs. The past few days he's started only eating 4 oz at a time and going close to 4 hours between feedings. He's still sleeping through the night (9-5/6) and not grumpy so I don't think he's sick but it just seems weird to have him eat the same amount for so long and now to decrease. Has this happened to anyone else?

Re: Formula fed babies eating less?

• My LO is 12 weeks and while he isn't eating less, he hasn't increased either. He's doing 4 ounces approx. every 3 hours since 8 weeks and when I gave him 5oz. he spit it up. 
  • My LO is 12 weeks and has been on a similar eating schedule as yours. He is still taking 5 oz but definitely never cries out in hunger. He sometimes won't finish his bottle too. I did find that increasing to the next nipple flow size helped. He just didn't want to work that hard for his food. As long as he seems happy and you are still getting lots of wet diapers he's probably ok. You can always give the pediatrician a call if you are concerned. They will want to know how many ounces in a 24 hour period that he is consuming---so keep track before you call. 
    BabyFruit Ticker image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO is 12 weeks and has been on a similar eating schedule as yours. He is still taking 5 oz but definitely never cries out in hunger. He sometimes won't finish his bottle too. I did find that increasing to the next nipple flow size helped. He just didn't want to work that hard for his food. As long as he seems happy and you are still getting lots of wet diapers he's probably ok. You can always give the pediatrician a call if you are concerned. They will want to know how many ounces in a 24 hour period that he is consuming---so keep track before you call. 
    I didn't  even think about going up a size on the nipple!  I will definitely be trying that thanks!