December 2016 Moms

Pregnant with Inguinal Hernia

Does anyone here happen to have a hernia as well? Mine is inguinal (lower groin) and occurred pre-pregnancy. It was supposed to be repaired, but we found out we were expecting the day before.
I'm petrified of the whole process of pregnancy and labour making it worse and would love to find another mama to connect with going through something similar...so I don't feel so alone with this.

I'm planning a water birth with Midwife since I haven't been classified as high risk (so far). I will, however, have to schedule repair for 6 weeks postpartum...which is also terrifying since I'll have an almost 4 year old, newborn,  and 10 lb weight lifting restriction. Just looking for a "village" to lean on through this.

Re: Pregnant with Inguinal Hernia

• Not me but even if there aren't other D16ers with this, feel free to lean!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • lrg14lrg14 member
    I also have one, but it rarely causes much trouble or pain. I asked at my preconception appointment a year ago it could cause additional issues during pregnancy but my doc wasn't worried about it. I've never had plans to have it repaired but I guess I'll see if things change with pregnancy.
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry i dont have one but im here for you like pp said, feel free to lean on us. 
  • lrg14 said:
    I also have one, but it rarely causes much trouble or pain. I asked at my preconception appointment a year ago it could cause additional issues during pregnancy but my doc wasn't worried about it. I've never had plans to have it repaired but I guess I'll see if things change with pregnancy.

@lrg14 I have to admit I'm so relieved to find someone else with this- and it's especially encouraging if yours doesn't cause any issues for you! <3 Mine is classified as "large" which is why I was having it repaired. I don't have any protrusions just the tear itself, but I'm told by my surgeon that it will get larger with pregnancy and that it will have to be repaired 6 weeks pp. I get occasional pain at the site when I over exert myself and do worry about strangulated intestine especially during delivery- but I have horrible anxiety. :( I was given an rx for a wonderful materniy support belt with groin straps to wear when it bothers me and when I run, to keep things where they should be. If you do encounter issues I'd be happy to give you the info! 

And thank you everyone else for allowing me to share this and feel supported. This pregnancy is completely unexpected as is the fact that I'm not repaired first so I'm struggling emotionally with a lot of fear. <3
  • Hi there, I realise this is an older post but I am in the same boat with an inguinal/groin hernia. Just wondering how your pregnancy went with it? Was it very painful? Did you have to go on bed rest? How was your delivery? Was it repaired after delivery? I'm sorry for all the questions but it's quite difficult finding out much about it. Thank you in advance :)