February 2016 Moms

Feeding every 2hrs

LO is almost 12 weeks and she still seems to want to eat every 2 hours during the day. She is formula fed. At night she sleeps between 6-8hrs then eats and does another 3-4hrs. Then after that she wants to eat every 2-2.5hrs at the most. It seems excessive to me that she wants to feed so frequently, we've tried giving her more at each feeding and stretching it as long as possible but nothing seems to work. Any other ladies experiencing frequent feedings at this age? Any suggestions on how to get her to go longer between? 

Re: Feeding every 2hrs

• My LO eats that often during the day as well. He is 10 weeks and EBF.  I figure he needs to eat often during the day because he is sleeping longer stretches and eating less at night. 

• My LO (10 weeks) is exactly same but EBF. I think it's normal still at this age,  especially with going so long at night without feeding. 
  • Loading the player...
  • My little one, also FF, eats about  every 3-4 hours throughout the day and usually has a 5 hour stretch at night.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My son eats every 2-3 hours (including at night) he's EBF.  All 4 of my children ate every 2 hours for months. Pretty normal for myself. 
  • Miss LilacMiss Lilac member
    edited April 2016
    I honestly don't know how often my baby eats. He's EBF and I just offer him the breast whenever it seems like he might want it. Feeding on demand is still the game plan at this age so I don't even bother keeping track. He's growing well and having enough wet diapers so I just roll with it. I suspect putting this young of a baby in a feeding schedule would be an uphill battle. 

ETA: I should say he does eat frequently. 2 hours doesn't sound unusual to me. He sleeps about 9-3, nurses, and then goes back down until about 7am. I wouldn't trade that kind of sleep for less eating in the day. No way, Jose. 
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• Thanks ladies, I'm glad to know its relatively normal. She used to go every 3hrs during the day but now that I think of it she was also waking at least twice a night at that point so it makes sense she needs more during the day since she's going longer at night :) I'd much rather get the sleep at night and feed frequently during the day for sure! 
  • VitaLunaVitaLuna member
    edited April 2016
    Very normal and not something you should try to "fix". Baby will eat when they need to, it's not up to us to put them on a schedule. Particularly when they're sleeping longer at night, babies will eat more often during the day to get the intake they need in a shorter period. 

FWIW, my DD1 ate every 2-3hrs around the clock until she was close to a year (she reverse cycled when I went back to work.. fun).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I follow the baby wise book and I believe it says when they start going 8 hr stretches at night you still need to work in 7 feedings into the day. They say feed every 2 1/2 to 3 hrs with the occasional 2 hr feed schedule. I agree that I would not mess with it for nothing for a baby that sleeps that we'll at night!! I often find I have to feed baby in a 2 hr span. I don't mind it either bc he's gone 7 to 8 hrs the last 2 nights!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I follow the baby wise book and I believe it says when they start going 8 hr stretches at night you still need to work in 7 feedings into the day. They say feed every 2 1/2 to 3 hrs with the occasional 2 hr feed schedule. I agree that I would not mess with it for nothing for a baby that sleeps that we'll at night!! I often find I have to feed baby in a 2 hr span. I don't mind it either bc he's gone 7 to 8 hrs the last 2 nights!
    Absolutely, I figured we needed to make up for the lost feeding. What she was doing was eating more frequently early in the day and then spacing out to 3hrs in the afternoon but the last week or two it's been 2hrs all day so some days it worked out to 8 or 9 feedings of 5oz each time - my main concern was over feeding her. The last 2 days she's done 7 feedings, going between 2-3 hours per feed which has been great so I'm chalking last week up to a bit of a growth spurt - I'm relieved the frequent feeding seems to be pretty common among other moms, after I had her the nurses at the hospital were so adamant that I needed to be super careful about not overfeeding a formula fed baby so I've been a little paranoid about it. Thanks for the great advice :)