January 2016 Moms

Pregnant again?!

I am so scared that I am pregnant again. I'm 3 months and 2 weeks pp. my husband and I had sex the other night and pretty sure the ckndom broke. I know I won't find out for sure for a couple months but I am so scared. I never wanted kids this close together. I will be excited if I am don't get me wrong, but it's just a scary thought of them being 12 1/2 months apart. Anyone else experiencing or have kids this close? 

Re: Pregnant again?!

• If you are actually pregnant, you would know in less than a couple months.  Are you tracking your cycle at all?

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP

• edited April 2016
    I haven't had my first period yet sense having him. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I got pregnant at this time after my first with this baby. They are 13 months 2 days apart. It is an extreme challenge and we absolutely did not plan it this way. Either way, planned or not, we love both babies, even if we are sleep deprived and crazy. I couldn't picture our family any other way. 
  • @BarrettJ89 we were going to try again when he's 8 months. I think it would be cool to have them close together, just not this close haha. 
  • @GinaReed it's intense. There are stupid things that I never realized would be so challenging! Like, the pediatrician. My son, Cohen is barely 16 months old and wants to run and explore. The baby, 3 months yesterday, hates her car seat and wants to be held. Also, it's all but impossible just to get them in! I have to carry Cohen because he's just not trustworthy to follow me or hold my hand without plopping in the parking lot, plus carry Brynlee in her car seat, and the ginormous diaper bag packed for both! Same story with grocery shopping! If Cohen is in the seat, and Brynlee is in the cart itself in her car seat, where do I put the groceries? What do I do if I have to change a diaper? Lol it's a wild, and seriously humorous adventure for sure. 
  • @BarrettJ89 Sounds like lots of fun! Haha our sons names are the same by the way, I spell his name different tho. I am so glad there are people out there who have experienced this. It will make it loads easer to talk to people if I am indeed pregnant! We will see. 
  • Oh definitely. If you are concerned, I'd give it a little time, but pregnancy tests can detect at 2 weeks now. At least then you could put your mind at ease. 
    I found out the day after Cohen turned 5 months old. They were due 13 months to the day apart. Lol

I've never heard of another Cohen (of any spelling)! I want to say I remember his middle name being the same as my daughter's too - Harper (I think it was on the baby name thread).
  • @BarrettJ89 off topic, but I picked out baby names before getting pregnant and I wanted Cohen for a boy and Harper for a girl. FI wasn't too keen on Cohen so we went with our second choice of Sebastian. Maybe if our second is another boy I can push for Cohen again lol.
  • @BarrettJ89 I don't know when I could take a test sense I still haven't had a period sense having Koen. 

Also, yea his middle name is Harper. Great minds think a like! 
  • I was thinking the other day that there are probably some moms on here that will be pregnant again soon. My sister in law had two almost exactly a year apart. She said it was a pretty difficult pregnancy, and they were a lot of work for the first couple years. But now she says it's pretty great that they're so close in age, because they play together so well. Plus, with the second one, she already knew/remembered how to do everything!
    Theres always ups and downs with however far apart ours kids are. 
  • @krrpe99 did she say why her pregnancy was difficult? 
  • @BarrettJ89 do you baby wear? My kids were 16 months apart and baby wearing saved me, well honestly it saved me with my very clingy first baby too. But the Dr's office I would wear the baby and strap the toddler in an umbrella stroller. I could baby wear and carry my toddler into stores and then I'd put the toddler in the cart seat and have the full basket for my things. 
  • @GinaReed is your baby exclusively breastfed? If your baby is exclusively breastfed, feeding on demand, and you haven't had a cycle yet i'd say it's highly unlikely you are pregnant. It's called ecological breastfeeding and it is very effective for the first 6 months. 
  • @mommyduclos yes I breaded him all the time!  
  • @GinaReed I think pregnancy is just hard on your body, and when you get pregnant fast again, you just haven't recovered enough. I'm not sure what the ideal recovery is (I'm sure it's different for everyone.)
  • jrouge12jrouge12 member
    edited April 2016
    Mayo Clinic says it's best for the mother/baby to wait at least 18-24 months between pregnancies but no more than five years.
    Obviously it doesn't always work that way and plenty of people have healthy babies outside of that time frame.
  • I got pregnant 8 months postpartum while exclusively bf'ing. My boys are almost 17 months apart to the day. My second pregnancy was great minus the morning sickness. Life with two under two hasn't been nearly as challenging as I had feared. I'd do it all again in a heartbeat. I do baby wear for nearly all outings! 
  • @Mommyduclos I babywear on occasion. She liked it much more as a newborn, but now she just freaks out because it's restricting. I tried the baby Bjorn, which she liked for a few weeks, but she definitely starting to get argumentative about it now. I also have really bad back problems, so the heavier she gets, the more pain it causes me :(

@GinaReed I found the second pregnancy much harder. I was much more hormonal (poor SO) and physically exhausted from dealing with a baby who wasn't sleeping, plus pregnancy and working full time. I didn't have any energy. And I never lost the baby weight from the first, soooo, that sucks now. Lol.
  • You can generally take a test 14 days after having sex to find out. That or having your doctor do blood work would be your best options to find out if you're pregnant.
  • edited April 2016
    Don't worry, there's lots of families like that! My sister-in-law has 2 babies almost exactly a year apart, and she has fully breastfed both and still is. I have a friend that has 3 kids each a year apart, but her oldest is adopted. Like PP said, you're at a higher risk but it could still be a smooth pregnancy. My SIL had no problems at all the second time, but then my friend had some problems with preterm labor. So there's really no telling.