Cloth Diapering

Leaking pee

LO is 10 weeks and we've been using CD for a little over a month now (we wanted to wait until he was big enough not to need newborn diapers). We're using bumgenius pockets and at least once a day he is peeing enough that they leak.  He never goes more than an hour without a diaper change except when he's sleeping.  At first I thought they were just a little loose, but as he gets bigger they're seemingly pretty snug and still leaking.  Any suggestions on what's going wrong?

Re: Leaking pee

• when he leaks, is the insert soaked? What are you stuffing with? Does he leak in a specific diaper? Where is he leaking? New diapers or bought used?

Also check with Cloth Diaper Tech Support on Facebook or google Not Just Cloth Diapers for additional help.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • edited April 2016
    You can also read up on fluff university. Maybe you have hard water. Or you didn't prep the inserts enough?
  • Loading the player...
  • If you have to go to Fluff Love take a healthy dose of common sense with you and make sure you use it.  Some of the information there is good information but not all of it.

My general rule is that if you wouldn't do something to your regular laundry, don't do it to your cloth diapers.

Detergent build-up is NOT a myth no matter how much they try to claim otherwise.  If something in a 3 digit ppm concentration can build-up, logic says something in a 4-6 digit ppm concentration can also build-up.  Personally, I have battled that "mythical creature" too many times in my 35+ years of doing laundry.

• It could be a number of different things as some moms above have mentioned. 

How often are you changing baby? What kind of inserts? If you use mostly MF then you may have to change more frequently. 
    Mate they new or used? If new did you prep them? If used did you strip them?

personally I bought all used and had a problem with leaking. So I stripped and got better inserts (hemp & bamboo) and haven't had a problem since. 

• We're using the microfiber inserts that came with the diapers (bum genius) and they're new.  I've been changing him whenever he gets fussy, which seems to be about 5 minutes after he goes.  He rarely ever goes more than an hour without a fresh diaper if he's awake.  
    We do have hard water, but have started using RLR after we realized that.  Perhaps there was already too much buildup.  
    We could try stripping, but that seems like a lot of work if it's not the problem.  I've also been looking at getting some better inserts.
  • If the insert itself is soaked then you need different inserts or a booster. If the shell is soaked but not the insert then you have an absorbency issue. 
  • Using RLR is stripping.  Use a water conditioner like Calgon or washing soda to treat hard water in the routine washes.