February 2016 Moms

*Update* Possible Hernia in Son?

robinj716robinj716 member
edited May 2016 in February 2016 Moms
Has anyone on here experienced a hernia in their child? After bath tonight, I found a large lump on the right side of my sons groin, just above his penis. He doesn't seem to be in any discomfort, aside from the screaming during his first morning diaper change. A quick Google search leads me to believe it's a hernia. Now I'm freaking myself out, as they say usually it's fixed with minor surgery and possibly a stay in the hospital. Ugh, damn Google! I'll be calling the pediatrician in the morning to get him seen ASAP, but just wondering if anyone else has had this happen and what their experience was! 

Re: *Update* Possible Hernia in Son?

• smn14smn14 member
    I remember my brother having this when he was a baby and he had minor surgery and was absolutely fine. 
  • We went to pediatrician this morning and we were referred to the Children's hospital. It was determined that something didn't close while in utero, so what they thought was a hernia is actually a hydrocele. They'll be scheduling minor outpatient surgery for when he reaches 12 weeks. It's apparently pretty common and a 20 minute procedure. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Hugs mama! I'm sure this must be stressful. Glad to hear it's an easy fix, but I know that probably doesn't help out with the anxiety surrounding it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @VitaLuna thank you! I am ok now, but I am sure the day of I will lose it! Glad it's nothing worse though! 
  • Good luck mama!!! Glad you found out what it is and it's going to get taken care of. It's very scary even if it's minor surgery but all will be well. (My second had minor surgery on her eyelid as a baby). 
  • I'm so glad it's nothing more serious, but I'm sorry he has to have surgery. Please keep us updated--I'll be thinking of you and your family  <3
  • AchaeAchae member
    Glad they figured out what it was, hope it's a quick recovery!
  • I'm glad they figured out what was going on but sorry to hear he has to have sugery. I hope its quick, painless, and a fast recovery for your LO. 
  • Thank you ladies! I'll be sure to update you all! 
  • Thinking about you @robinj716 let us know how it goes! 

My son has this too. His sack is always enlarged with extra fluid because apparently the hole that they "drop" from didn't close all the way. We have to monitor it and if it ever looks like his intestines drop through the hole too (like your sons did) they have to go in and close it. Otherwise it should close naturally before he turns one. Either way, super scary and one of those things they don't prepare you for! Thoughts and prayers to you and your LO! 
  • My two year old still has this exactly.  His ped. Told us last week (at his 2 yr appt) to call the surgeon bc it hasn't fixed itself  :(  she assured me it's no big deal.
  • robinj716robinj716 member
    edited April 2016
    The urologist told me this happens to every 1 in 100 boys! He assured me it is a simple procedure and said it will take about 20 minutes to complete and he will be asleep for a total of 45mins. He did say there is a 10-15% chance he will develop one on the other side, but didn't recommend surgery on the other side unless a hydrocele presents itself. Super Scary, but the children's hospital here is great, so I know he will be in good hands! 
  • @robinj716 I totally teared up reading this. I'm so glad he's doing well. Enjoy all the cuddles tonight! 
  • I'm so glad to hear everything went well. I hope he has a quick and smooth recovery!
  • Happy for all three of you! Glad to hear you're doing well!!
  • So glad all went well!!
  • Glad it all went well! And oh my gosh those eyelashes!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'm so glad it went well! He's absolutely adorable--I hope you have an easy night tonight and a quick recovery!
  • Glad it went well!!!! He's so cute! 
  • So glad everything worked out good for him!!!