Trouble TTC

A quick hello!

Mlight28Mlight28 member
edited March 2016 in Trouble TTC
Hi Ladies!
Just wanted to come introduce myself here. 
DH and I have been married for almost 5 years, and have been TTC for a year. 
We have started basic testing at my OB. 
SA came back normal. CD3 test was normal. CD 21 test showed no ovulation, but I always ovulate "late" by normal standards, so a week later I repeated the blood test, which confirmed ovulation. 
I have an ultrasound tomorrow and then we will be talking about where to go from here. 
Unfortunately the nearest RE is about 2 hours from me, but I expect to have a referral there and I'll just make it work. 
DH is super supportive and i couldnt ask for a better person to go through this with. He lets me vent and talk about everything as long as I need to, and always seems to know the right things to say to lift my spirits. 
We have been 100% private about our journey. No one else knows, so it's nice to have you ladies to talk to as well. I'm active on the TTGP board as well. Looking forward to getting to know you ladies!!

Has anyone else kept your struggle to conceive private?? At what point did you tell your family/close friends?? We struggle with this often. We are both close to our families, but I have a lot of anxiety about bringing this up to them.
I know they would provide a lot of love and support but I can't seem to pull the trigger and just tell them. 
Married 2011
TTC #1 since April 2015
Fur child: One awesome Golden Retriever
IUI August 2016  : Cancelled due to polyp
September 2016: Polyp removal/hysteroscopy
October 2016: IUI #1- BFN
November 2016: IUI #2- BFN
December 2016: IUI #3 - BFN
January/February 2017 - IVF + ICSI + PGD
March 2017 - FET

Re: A quick hello!

• Hey! Welcome, I moved over here a little early. I hope you get some answers from you RE visit or good news that nothing major is wrong. 

Its so hard to decide when to tell people what. A handful of my closest girl friends know we are having trouble TTC, and my sister-in-laws. We still haven't told either of our parents. I really don't trust my mom not to tell the whole extended family, and I really don't want their pity (or advice!). I feel like we will probably tell our parents if we start treatment with IUI, so they can be praying and so they stop asking when we'll start a family :/

Me 34 DH 36 Married since July 2010 
    MFI (High DNA Fragmentation) & Mild endometriosis
    TTC #1 since June 2015 
    Aug 2016 - May 2017  6 IUI's with letrozole - BFN
    April 2017 - laparoscopy to remove mild endo
    June 2017 - Mini IVF letrozole 12.5mg, Gonal-F 75IU - Cancelled early ovulation, no eggs retrieved. 
    Aug/Sept 2017 - Mini IVF letrozole 12.5mg, Gonal-F 75IU, cetrotide - 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature
    5 eggs ICSI'd 6 eggs frozen - 1 day 5 blast transfered, 2 expanded blast frozen - BFP!
    May 2018 - Baby girl born - Our Joy

TTC #2 since July 2019
    July 2019 - FET - BFN
    Jan 2020 - FET - canceled due to family health issues
    Mar 2020 - FET - low beta - chemical pregnancy
    July 2020 - ICSI'd remaining 6 eggs - 3 fertilized - 2 survived to early blast stage, transfered both - Chemical Pregnancy

• @ReesaAnne16 I totally agree with you. I don't want either pity or advice, just love and support. And because I can't pick how people react to me telling them about our TTC struggle, I've kept it secret. 
    Pros and cons both ways, but I'm just not feeling ready to open up yet. 
    Married 2011
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    March 2017 - FET

• Loading the player...
  • Welcome @Mlight28!  I'm sorry you're having trouble TTC.  This board is very supportive, so you've come to a good place.

We're pretty private and have only told a very select few individuals that we're doing fertility treatment.  My mom included.  I don't know what I would do if she didn't know what we were doing.  We made her promise to keep it 100% secret, even from my dad.  I personally wouldn't mind if my dad knew, but my DH doesn't want him to so I have to respect that.  Only my mom, my DH's dad, and my best friend know what we're doing.  It helps me a lot to have a couple people I trust in the loop.  But that decision is entirely up to you!

Best of luck with your RE referral!
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • Welcome to the board. There are a lot of great people on this board full of help and inspiration.

We haven't told anyone anything. My parents and my DH's mother never ask us about having kids. I assume my mom assumes we are struggling with it. She has always had good intuition.

My step-mother-in-law consistently asks us.

My answer always is 'We are enjoying being dinks right now. Double Income No Kids!'

I think we will be the same. Myself anyways, and talk to my mom if we started IUI.

It's hard. @wifeinraleigh28 I think my DH would feel the same way about my Dad knowing...especially since it appears to be a MFI.

Me: 30 DH: 33

Married: February 15, 2013

TCC: October 2013

MFI- low count/morphology

May / June 2016- Monitored cycle and TI- BFN

June / July 2016- Gonal-F + IUI #1- BFN

August 2016- Gonal-F + IUI #2-

• @wifeinraleigh28 @plainjanie Thank you for the welcome!
    I also assume my mom has an idea that we are trying. She was all about emailing me articles about the Zika virus since we were considering a trip to the Carribbean. So obviously she has some idea. 

I kind of like your approach of the IUI being time to open up to them. 

My ultrasound today went great. I wasn't expecting the transvaginal ultrasound, but that wasn't a big deal. 

I might get flamed for this (and I know it's all out of love and true concern), but he gave me a prescription for clomid today. He's an OB, not an RE. I have been totally against taking clomid with an OB for a long time. 
    He did answer a lot of questions I had, said we could do all the monitoring I wanted, and made me feel better about it. 
    Also, the nearest RE is a 2 hour drive, one way. 
    Im still processing this, but considering it. 
    Married 2011
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    March 2017 - FET

• @Mlight28 regarding your OB- I think it is great that he was able to answer questions and was open to "all the monitoring you want." That along with a 2 hr commute to an RE- I think as long as you are very educated on the monitoring you will be ok to start with him. I am one of those without insurance who tried to do a cycle with my acupuncturist and my OB and had a bad experience BUT my OB is totally not open to alternative therapies and was also a little uneducated in my opinion.  When I told her I had gotten my progesterone level check 7 days post ovulation (rather than day 21) she was upset and couldn't understand why I would do that.  However, I have LONG cycles and never ovulate anywhere near day 14 and had been doing OPKs.  Then when I told her my acupuncturist had suggested progesterone for the next cycle she was un-receptive indicating that is an outdated practice. Fast forward to working with my RE and I have had 4 u/s so far and they Rx the progresterone cream to start using 36 hours after I did the trigger injection.  So, I think the bottom line is that it depends on the OB and all the other factors.  I have been at the RE weekly since starting my cycle this month so that can be a huge burden. Good luck!!!
    TTC since May 2013
    Mild PCOS, Compound Heterozygous MTHFR
    No Folic acid/pharmaceuticals/supplements (too many to list- private message me if interested), IVIL infusion
  • @lablover78 Thanks for your reply!
    Sorry you had a bad experience with your OB. Hopefully your RE has you on the right track. I agree that's a lot of time at the RE. I'm sure that's exhausting!!
    I'm totally on board with doing whatever appointments I need with my OB who is a 10 minute drive from work. It would be almost impossible to do the RE visits for me without taking the entire day off to do 4 hours of driving plus the appointment weekly or more often. 
    I'm thinking that my OB is used to people not wanting to make that drive. He didn't seem surprised or upset that I wanted either monitoring or a referral.

I think I'm going to give it a try.  I feel like I have done my research and know what monitoring I want, and he seemed very educated as well. 
    Married 2011
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    March 2017 - FET

• @Mlight28 I think that as long as your OB is going to monitor you properly it will be nice for you to be able to avoid that 2 hour drive to the RE!  Just read up as much as you can on clomid.  The biggest concern for most women is that it can thin your uterine lining.  If this goes undetected for long enough it can be permanent and make implantation very difficult if not impossible.  Not every woman gets thinned lining, but I would just make sure your OB is checking for that!
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • Thanks, @wifeinraleigh28 !! I had read some about that being a possible side effect. I will definitely be having him check that out. 
    Married 2011
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    March 2017 - FET

• Hi @Mlight28 DH and I have also decided to keep our TTC private. We have been trying for about 10 months and will hopefully be referred to a fertility clinic next month. Only one other person knows we are trying which is my best friend who I talk to about once a month. We have also struggled with whether to start telling people or not. Several of our friends have asked because we have been married nearly 2yrs and we wanted kids young (26 now) but we have always denied it. I feel like if we start admitting to our friends that we are trying that we will have to tell our parents because I know they will not ask.  It's an awkward conversation to have especially knowing my MIL isn't really into babies and isn't ready for us to have kids and my Mum who is excited for us to have kid but doesn't want the surprise ruined. Very tough call. My best friend is great to vent to but she really doesn't understand and cannot relate emotionally. I am so thankful for thebump discussion boards as a sounding board for emotions and questions. 
    I hope you find the community you are searching for here :) 
  • katbbkatbb member
    edited March 2016
    Hi:).....when we first started ttc we were keeping it our little secret so that we could do cute surprise pregnancy announcements without any one suspecting anything.....but as time went on it was really hard not to talk about because it was the only thing I could think about.   It got to the point where I avoided talking to people thinking,  " I'll call her when I have baby news".  Eventually I caved and let people know that we're were struggling to conceive.  It's still hard though because most people I know have no idea how difficult and hurtful this journey is.  They say the wrong things. ..and make me not want to discuss it anymore.  I especially have a hard time talking with people with babies about my fertility struggles. 
  • @Mlight28 we have been TTC for 15 months and I have only just recently told my mom and she is the only family member that knows.  Like others have said I just don't want the pity, advice, and additional pressure. It's been hard enough telling the few people that do know when we have a BFN so I'm ok with limiting who we've told.  It's been an emotionally draining process at times though and I am greatful for the few people that do know.  Good luck! Lots and lots of baby dust your direction. 

Me 36 DH 34 - Married May 2010
    DX: PCOS/Unexplained Infertility/MTHFR Mutation
    TTC since December 2014
    Fresh Transfer: Gonal, Menopur, Cetrotide. ~ Chemical Pregnancy :(  
    FET #1: 1st Beta- 3,792~ 2nd Beta- 4,227~ BFP ~ Miscarriage at 8 weeks :( 
    FET #2: 1st Beta 207~2nd Beta 235~ BFP~ Miscarriage at 6 weeks :(
    FET #3: 1st Beta 18~ 2nd Beta 44~BFP~ Miscarriage 5 weeks :(
    FET #4: 1st Beta 50~ 2nd Beta 97.7~ Miscarriage 6 weeks 5 days :(
    FET#5: 1st Beta 29~ 2nd Beta 109~ 3rd Beta 227~ 4th Beta 661~ Miscarriage 5 weeks 3 days 
    Miracle Natural BFP Estimated Due Date June 2019~ God is good 
    2 snow babies 

• Hi! I recognize you from TTGP.
    I would suggest that you have an HSG to see if your tubes are open before you take Clomid. Clomid does have a max lifetime use and it would be a shame to waste some of those uses when a blocked tube is preventing you from getting pregnant because it's unlikely Clomid would work.
    I know some RE clinics have arrangements with "local" clinics so that out of town patients don't have to travel for every appointment, so if you do end up with a referral to the RE it's definitely something to look into.

I've told some friends that we are struggling and they've been very supportive. However, some members of my family have not been supportive, which is difficult. 
  • hello, and welcome.  we didn't tell anyone until we did ivf.  it is def a struggle as to when to let family and friends know.  good luck in your journey.
    TTC since June 2011
    SA - Normal CD3 Bloodwork - Normal HSG- All clear!
    July 2012 50mg Clomid CD3-7 Trigger+TI = BFN
    August 2012 50mg Clomid CD3-7 Trigger+IUI = BFN
    September 2012 50mg Clomid CD3-7 Trigger+IUI = BFN
    October 4th LAP - Mild Endo - All Removed
    Treatment Break 3 cycles = BFN
    1st Treatment Cycle Post Lap --
    February 2013 50mg Clomid CD3-7 Trigger+IUI = BFN
    March 2013 50mg Clomid CD3-7 Trigger+IUI = BFN
    April 2013 Break Cycle ~~~ May 2013 Meet with RE discuss next steps
    July 2013 IVF ~ Stims start 6/28

ER 7/10 20R/14M/14F
    Day 3 - 10 Embryos
    ET 7/15 Transferred 1 Blast on day 5 - Froze 6
    7/24 Beta 1 150 7/26 Beta 2 313 7/30 Beta 3 1,084 Beta 4 3,000 Beta 5 8,120 1st U/S 8/8 image
  • @mlight28 its wonderful that you feel so supported!  My partner is also very supportive, he decided to get the semen analysis on his own and is doing it this Friday.  He wants to know all the deets about my appointments, my cycles, my charts etc.  I told a few close friends we are ttc but I have only told one friend about trouble ttc and the details of my PCOS and not ovulating at all.  This friend is older than me (in her 40s), also has PCOS and had infertility as well.  She also use to work in an OBGYN office so she knows a lot about different procedures.  Its nice to have one person to talk with and of course TB community who truly understands! 

My closest fertility clinic and/or RE is about 1.5 hours away from my house.  I was researching clinics and there are only a few options in my state.  There are two REs associated with hospitals but they don't do IUI or IVF they just refer to a clinic. The other providers are associated with private fertility clinics.  Seriously there are like only four clinics in my entire state!  I guess I will just have to make something work...

Anyway, good luck and I look forward to following your story!
    TTC since May 2015 with domestic partner of 13 years. Me 33 OH 33.  No ovulation or natural menstruation. Normal SA.
    Diagnosed PCOS February 2016
    First cycle 50mg Clomid 5/3/16, O'd CD 19 BFN
    Second cycle 50mg Clomid 6/1/16 O'd CD 18 BFN
    Third cycle Clomid 6/29/16 O'd CD 16 BFP @11dpo!
    EDD April 3 and praying things work out!
  • I didn't realize how old this thread was....is it ok to post on older threads in TTTC forum?  i know other forums don't like resurrecting zombie threads!
    TTC since May 2015 with domestic partner of 13 years. Me 33 OH 33.  No ovulation or natural menstruation. Normal SA.
    Diagnosed PCOS February 2016
    First cycle 50mg Clomid 5/3/16, O'd CD 19 BFN
    Second cycle 50mg Clomid 6/1/16 O'd CD 18 BFN
    Third cycle Clomid 6/29/16 O'd CD 16 BFP @11dpo!
    EDD April 3 and praying things work out!
  • Hey @Ducks&Cats !! Thanks so much for sharing part of your story with me! I'm with ya on the RE... I'm getting to the point where I really need to figure something out sometime soon. I guess I'll just be driving a long way, a lot. 
    I think the issue with zombie threads in other places is that the OP has moved on or won't see the response. I'm very much still here, and appreciate your reply! So thank you!!
    Married 2011
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    March 2017 - FET