December 2016 Moms

Workouts - 1st trimester

Newbie here, and I know there is a thread about health and fitness!

Today, I am 5w5d along. I am used to going to the gym for a couple hours Mondays and Wednesdays. This includes CXWORX, light cardio and then Zumba. I've been doing this for quite some time now... a year+. Tuesdays are either a home workout (some 21 day fix video, 30 day shred, etc) or going to the gym to run on the treadmill. Thursdays are similar to Tuesdays, but I also have volleyball so that is  usually just want I do (we're done with that in 3 weeks). I usually take weekends off, but am getting a treadmill delivered any day now that I will be able to do inside when I don't feel like leaving the house.

Last week I slacked on working out cos we had some stuff going on in the evenings, so it was just last Monday. The last 2 days I was out of town,  but did get a good amount of walking in on Monday, so I counted that my workout (over 3 miles!). Since Wednesday is here... I know I need to  get some exercise in, as I can feel my body needing it. I know I have read that if you've been active before, you can stay active. And obviously, check with a dr before doing anything. I did talk with my GP last week who said I should be OK doing what I have been, since I was an exerciser. However, I won't have my OB appointment for another couple of weeks (calling today) to see if the OB would OK that looking at my information. This is my first child, and I'm considered AMA (35)... and I fear having a MC.

A part of me feels like I could do Zumba tonight, but another part of me just wants to wait it out until I do get the OK. I see a few PG ladies in class, so I know some attend. Another part of me thinks I should just wait. So...

What first trimester workouts have you been doing?
Me: 37 years old
DH: 39 years old
Married: October 17, 2014
TTC Since: November 2015
BFP: March 31, 2016
DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Workouts - 1st trimester

• I'm in the same belief based on my previous pregnancy advice from my OB and Dr. Internet that you can continue with your normal exercise routine first trimester. Just listen to your body and take breaks when and if you need to.
     I do a 21 Day Fix® workout every day and every other day I am running for a half an hour. I've been doing this for several months prior to pregnancy and will probably continue this routine until second trimester and then I will adjust things. 
    BabyFruit Ticker  
  • I've worked out through all my pregnancies, and it absolutely helps you feel better and fare better once we start getting larger. Ive run, stair climbed, hiked in altitude, lifted, yoga, and Barre. I will say that I like Barre better than yoga when pregnant. With the relaxin in our bodies I pulled a few hips out of line with yoga, but Barre tightens up my hips and helps them not to get as sore. So I don't do yoga anymore, but I do the rest! I even teach Barre 2x per week.
    My other piece of wisdom pertains to abs. I followd the "if it doesn't hurt you're ok'" advice. Actually, you're not supposed to do abs after 20 weeks. My OB said it can squeeze the baby. But also I now have a herniated belly button to show for it. Not worth it. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I average 25 miles per week running or walking and (carefully) play slow pitch softball in 2 different leagues, so 4 or 5 games per week. My doctor ok'd the run/walk distance but asked me to lower intensity as it warms up. She also said drink more water until I told her I already drink a gallon and a half a day so that's not necessary. So just make sure you stay hydrated with whatever workout you do. 

Last pregnancy I was so sick by now (also 5w5d) that I couldn't work out but was ok'd to restart in the second trimester. This one is basically so far pretty good, just some nausea. I hope to continue as long as possible.

I have some prenatal videos that I'll start again when it's too uncomfortable to run or if I have to cut back. I have a treadmill at home so I can run in relative comfort even when it's 100 degrees outside. 

I would definitely ask your doctor though. To me (a pretty decent runner, read obsessed runner), that amount of time in the gym is overkill. But obviously I don't know the workout or you or your effort  so can't really judge. Plus, I used to run 3-4 hours every sunday.....so......really can't talk lol. 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• I'm exhausted just from reading these posts lol.....I'm lucky if I have enough energy to do a load of laundry after 8:30pm.

I do yoga at home because I hate the instructor at the gym because she sucks, but I do want to start going to the gym again. I would like to find a program I like. I did great with weight lifting, but apparently with my adrenal gland issue it raised my cortisol too high and yes, I looked beefy but I also looked very bloated all the time. So I need more light weights and cardio. 
    Met DH - 9/2003
    Dating - 9/18/2012
    Married - 8/16/2014
    NTNP - 7/2014-5/2015 
    TTC #1 - 5/2015 (CP October @ 4w2d)
    *PCOS/Hypothyroid/Ectopic Kidney/High DHEA-S*
    HSG - All clear, ectopic kidney didn't affect uterus (yay!)
    CT Adrenal Scan - no tumors! :D
    SA - sperm count excellent, 2% Morphology
    March/April IUI scheduled -  surprise BFP w/ help of Progesterone - 3/18/2016
    Beta #1 @ 11dpo - 45.7 #2 @ 14dpo - 163 #3 @ 18dpo - 997 #4 @ 21dpo - 3799 :D
    EDD 12/1 based on O, 11/28 per Ob/Gyn (but he's wrong lol).

*TEAM BLUE!*

BabyFruit Ticker

Image result for funny i hate football memes

• I'm exhausted just from reading these posts lol.....I'm lucky if I have enough energy to do a load of laundry after 8:30pm.

I go to bed by 8 on non-softball nights! No energy left...I get up at 430 to get in a short workout then everyone out the door by 6 hopefully with complete lunches packed. I'm not always successful. 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• This was me last pregnancy. I stayed active that whole pregnancy and got back into good shape after. Now I'm finding toddlers are a different ball game but here's my advice - listen to your body (!!!) and don't set personal goals more than a week out because things change so much week to week. If you go too hard in the beginning, you may mess up your adjusting joints and then have to take time off for the final months. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • I'm a Beachbody coach and this is my first pregnancy. A ton of coaches on my team are/have been pregnant and they have all said you can continue doing what you were doing before pregnancy- with doctor's clearance- as long as you listen to your body and modify as needed. I personally have continued doing 22 minute hard corps and running when it's warm enough (Boston is cold still, brrr). I plan on running two 5ks in June (while 13 weeks pregnant). And yes, the main symptom I've been experiencing so far is exhaustion haha, but I work out in the mornings when I have the most energy. :) My midwife also used to do beachbody and okay'd my workouts and using shakeology as a prenatal (paired with folic acid) when I met with her two months ago for my annual (we discussed me TTC). I'm planning on moving on to PiYo when I finish 22 Minute Hard Corps (it's like cardio pilates/yoga) and using Beachbody's prenatal workout routines.
    (Disclaimer: though I am a Coach, I am not trying and will not try to recruit anyone in this group, though we can chat about it outside of this forum. I talk about it a lot because I love it and it's a big part of my life.) 
    Me: 27 | Husband: 27
    Married: Sept 5, 2015
    TTC #1 since Sept 5, 2015
    BFP Apr 5, 2016 | EDD: Dec 11, 2016
  • I'm a Beachbody coach and this is my first pregnancy. A ton of coaches on my team are/have been pregnant and they have all said you can continue doing what you were doing before pregnancy- with doctor's clearance- as long as you listen to your body and modify as needed. I personally have continued doing 22 minute hard corps and running when it's warm enough (Boston is cold still, brrr). I plan on running two 5ks in June (while 13 weeks pregnant). And yes, the main symptom I've been experiencing so far is exhaustion haha, but I work out in the mornings when I have the most energy. :) My midwife also used to do beachbody and okay'd my workouts and using shakeology as a prenatal (paired with folic acid) when I met with her two months ago for my annual (we discussed me TTC). I'm planning on moving on to PiYo when I finish 22 Minute Hard Corps (it's like cardio pilates/yoga) and using Beachbody's prenatal workout routines.
    (Disclaimer: though I am a Coach, I am not trying and will not try to recruit anyone in this group, though we can chat about it outside of this forum. I talk about it a lot because I love it and it's a big part of my life.) 
    Hey fellow coach! I'm totally doing Piyo next too!!
    BabyFruit Ticker  
  • Thanks everyone! Well, I just went to the gym and walk on the treadmill around 3.8 for 30 minutes last night. At least it was something!

I actually don't see an OB until June 3, so between now and then, I just feel that without an OK by a doctor, I should keep things easy but yet still effective. Maybe find some You Tube videos for yoga/pilates. I did find a blog that listed the modifications for the 21-day Fix workouts, so I may do some of those too (upper and dirty 30 are my favorite). I also read that you can do ab workouts in the 1st trimester, which is what CXWORX mainly is (a core class)... it just makes me nervous and I don't want to do anything that may cause stress inside. IDK... maybe it's just me being paranoid.

• My OB said you can do anything you did before pregnancy activity wise. Some days you might just not feel up to it and that's ok! I think it is most important to listen to your body. Some days I can only walk, others I can run miles and feel fine.

DS1: 12/17/2014
    DS2: born sleeping at 26 weeks on 8/8/2016 due to chromosomal deletion
    Pregnant with baby 3 -  EDD 9/14/2017

• Like someone else said, I was really active my first pregnancy, but with this one, having a toddler is a whole new ball game. He's decided he's too cool for sleep so he's up before five every day, so keeping up with him, first tri symptoms, and working a few days a week, I am exhausted. I try to walk with him now that the weather is finally getting nicer, and do some ab stuff and squat stuff at home, but I'm so nauseous all day, that it's not often those things get done. I put on little weight with ds, so I'm hoping once first tri crap goes away, I'll be able to be more active this summer.
    November D16  Siggy Challenge-Thanksgiving Fails

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @jenlynne0624 - we'll feel more human at some point and then be back to our old, fit selves... right?!?!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • @jenlynne0624 - we'll feel more human at some point and then be back to our old, fit selves... right?!?!
    I'm hoping so, girl! I never got completely back into shape after ds because any exercise over walking regularly killed my milk supply :(
    November D16  Siggy Challenge-Thanksgiving Fails

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ive been going to the gym as normal, but taking it slower. I also have been doing spin classes.... but went to a less intense teacher 
  • I'm still keeping to my old gym routine at the moment, but it's only the elliptical at a moderate pace (typically about 5.5 miles/hour per the machine)

@Kacie209, you could call your doctor's nurses' line to see what they say maybe?  I left a message on the nurses' line at my OB's practice detailing my usual routine, and they were able to confirm with the doctor that my typical "workout" should be fine.  That way, you can get some reassurance before your appointment comes up.

DH: 36⎹ Me: 36
    Married: Aug. 2005
    DS1: Born Oct. 2012
    DS2: Born Jun. 2014
  • amylianne said:
    I've worked out through all my pregnancies, and it absolutely helps you feel better and fare better once we start getting larger. Ive run, stair climbed, hiked in altitude, lifted, yoga, and Barre. I will say that I like Barre better than yoga when pregnant. With the relaxin in our bodies I pulled a few hips out of line with yoga, but Barre tightens up my hips and helps them not to get as sore. So I don't do yoga anymore, but I do the rest! I even teach Barre 2x per week.
    My other piece of wisdom pertains to abs. I followd the "if it doesn't hurt you're ok'" advice. Actually, you're not supposed to do abs after 20 weeks. My OB said it can squeeze the baby. But also I now have a herniated belly button to show for it. Not worth it. 
    @amylianne I love barre! It's the one thing I've found that I actually want to do :smile: Good advice re: abs. I hadn't heard to stop abs after 20w. I didn't workout routinely with either of my prior two pregnancies - but having been doing barre a few times a week over the last year, already I can tell the pregnancy will be different! 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DH: 33⎹ Me: 32
    Married: July. 2005
    DS1: Born Feb. 2013
    DS2: Born Feb. 2015
  • I do yoga 3-5 days a week at my local studio, my teachers only advised no twists during first trimester. As the weeks go and belly grows more modifications will be needed, but in the meantime don't wring out those organs (yours and baby's developing ones!)
  • I see my doc in two weeks but I have been lifting (BodyPump), cardio, and BodyFlow (yoga/Pilates) for over a year and half at my gym and have been continuing the best I can even with the current exhaustion levels. I was even training for a Spartan Super Race (obstacle course race, 13-15 miles) up until we found out we were expecting about a month ago. If I competed, I would be at 11 weeks and while I know I could do partial obstacles and such, I'm worried about becoming dehydrated during the race and climbing over walls as I always have to hurl myself (abdomen first) over them, especially when I have to climb over the 10 ft or 12 ft ones (I'm short so these are the hardest part). I've decided to lay off the race for this year and move my registration for next year (great motivation for getting back in shape after baby!). But I'll be continuing lifting at a lower weight, doing cardio, and keeping up with BodyFlow while carefully listening to my body. I just can't imagine not keeping active for my own sanity, but I feel like labor will be a workout I need to train for regardless.
  • Hi ladies!  

My doc okayed my workouts too.  I ran a half marathon five days before we conceived, and doc said to definitely "run until I can't, then hike or walk".  I am also doing Chalean Extreme right now.  I don't sleep well if I don't workout. 

Just remember to talk with the doc about it, drink enough water, and modify or rest as needed. 
  • I have definitely been taking it lighter than I had normally i the last couple of weeks, and am excited that the treadmill we bought arrives tomorrow - so I can at least do that if I don't feel like going to the gym, or it's too crummy outside to walk, etc.

I did email the one program regarding pregnancy, just to see what they had to say - this was for CXWORX, which is a Les Mills class:

Working your core in CXWORX™ should be safe in the first and second trimester and has been shown to minimise disruption of the abdominal wall during pregnancy (1), but there are a few adjustments you should make when you can. There are some great options to work your abs in 4-point kneeling, supporting yourself on your elbows (ensuring you keep the chest lifted) or rolling over to do hover or plank work when it’s no longer comfortable to lie flat on your back.

So, it's doable but still didn't answer my question as to whether it's something that a pregnant gal should/could be doing. I like it cos it works my core, which right now feels tight - which I know is normal with everything working itself out inside to make room for that baby. I'd just like to keep my core strong for as long as I can, and then do the modified ab workouts after my 1st trimester is done.

My GP did say to continue what I was doing, as I was exerciser before.

• Exercising has really helped any back pain I've had and super boosted my energy! Been doing a lot of squats in addition to my cardio and regular workout. I've been a little winded, but always feel great when I'm done. I'm going to start doing more yoga, and I'm still hooping! Going on a short hike soon, and Pinterest also has some great workouts when I run out of ideas. I really love being pregnant at this time of the year--so easy to be active! :]
  • I still do crossfit twice a week (instead of my 5), yoga once a week and now that it is getting nice out I will run once a week.  You can do anything you were doing before you got pregnant, just do not start anything new that you were not doing three months prior to being pregnant. And if you are tired REST! Do not force a workout if what your body needs is sleep or relaxation.