3rd Trimester

Special Labor Gown - Worth It?

So, I had a scare a few days ago and had to go to L&D and get monitored for a few hours.  I wore the hospital provided gown and it was like wearing a paper bag. Really uncomfortable, covered absolutely nothing....kept falling off. Just....yuck. Now, I know I can't expect to be "covered" at all times, I've had 2 kids...I know the drill...but I'm also not about giving birth in the equivalent of a grocery bag.

So, I bought one of those "labor" gowns that gives access to the belly and the back but still provides good boob and butt coverage. I obviously didn't have one for the first 2 births, so I'm curious if these are even worth it....or if nurses hate them because it's not hospital issued? Anyone have experience with bringing their own gown?

I'm not worried about how it "looks", I just want to be comfortable and relatively covered pre-birth. 

Re: Special Labor Gown - Worth It?

• It depends on how you feel. There are some gowns out there that are comfy and because it meets hospital standards they will let you wear it.  I personally will be at a birth center where I can wear whatever I like so I didn't see the need for one but if I were going to a hospital I would consider it.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm for bringing something to wear after birth during the actual stay. An actual labor gown is a total waste IMO.  They actually aren't allowed at my hospital but even if they were with all the poking, bleeding, other messy things bodily functions and happenings, no need to spend money on something that will get ruined.  Plus while in labor the last thing on your mind is what you are wearing and you get to the point you don't care who sees what. 

• I have one that my sister has given me. It looks exactly like a hospital gown, but fits better and is way cuter! I will not wear it for labor or actual delivery, but will likely change into it once I'm all cleaned up following delivery. It still allows access for all those checks, but will make me feel less frumpy and exposed for post-delivery visitors. Now, it was a gift and I didn't have to pay for it, and I don't know that I would have dropped the $45-50 on it otherwise. 
  • Yeah, first 2 kids I never got to that "I don't care" point. I was always REALLY aware of it....even while pushing. I'm hyper-modest-worried about exposure. It's a huge flaw of mine.
  • Just a FYI, some hospitals won't let you wear anything but their own gowns.
    Check with them prior.

Personally, I find it a waste of money. 
  • I wore two, one in front and one in back.
  • If it's worth the $50 for your comfort level then ok, but you've had two kids so you know how messy the gown will get. 

Our hospital has specific gowns for L&D, the snap at the shoulders and tie like a wrap dress so it's not exposed in the back, but you can easily access that area. For belly access to attach monitors you do have to lift the front of the dress, but you can always cover your lower half with the sheet. So I won't be buying one, however I do change into my own clothes as soon as I'm showered. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'm going to ask my OB at my visit on Monday what her thoughts are.....I don't want to be a pain in the butt! : ) 
  • I don't see the point to them. I've opted to take a loose and knee length robe it should cover my backside but spares me from investing $ on something I'll never use again. 

December Siggy Challenge

imageimageimage
  • My hospital allowed me to wear whatever I wanted. I was in a sports bra because I labored in the tub up until it was time to push. The sports bra was nice because it was easy to get out of the way for skin-to-skin. 
  • I brought a cheap black one to wear after. I don't recommend spending much on a labor gown that's going to get covered in blood and multiple other bodily fluids. While you're giving birth I promise the gown will be the last thing on your mind ;) 
  • I got a "pretty" hospital-style gown (just like a regular one) for a deep discount on a deal site with my second baby and loved it. All the L&D nurses complimented it, and I felt more comfortable in it – you could choose an appropriate size instead of the scratchy OS-fits-all, worn and washed a million times, sick green ones provided by the hospital. With my third baby my OB gave me one of the pretty-pushers gowns (super soft jersey material with the cutouts and ties) but I never got it wear it bc baby came so fast when we got to the hospital. Planning on wearing it this time, or just a swim top in the labor tub. Generally I wouldn't pay full price for one, but if it was an option or I had extra money in the budget for one, then sure why not :) 

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • I didn't have one this time around, but I really was wishing I had bought one for after labor. I felt like I had to put on 'real' clothes (yoga pants and a nursing tank) when visitors came before I could shower and was ready to be dressed. 
  • I had a csection so no need for one but I changed into a nursing tank and pajama pants that night even with the iv in my back. The nurses helped me get into it with zero problem. No need for hospital gowns. I had a robe to wear when visitors stopped by but otherwise I was just in my tank and jammy pants. My hospital had no issue with it. 
  • Talked to my OB today. She said she actually kind of likes the kind of gown that I purchased because it doesn't have sleeves and it's actually really accessible, so she said rock on with my bad self if I have time to put it on during labor. Good stuff, glad I wouldn't be an annoyance.....and I can rest assured my butt will be covered on trips to the bathroom. 
  • Ooh this is making me wonder if what I'm bringing is good or not. I can wear whatever I want in the birthing center I'm going to so I just bought a couple really soft long baggy sleep t-shirts from Target that I can dispose of after. I guess I'll just lift it up when they need to check the baby's heart rate with the doppler... hadn't thought of that! Doh.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Bottom line = if you want it and don't mind spending the $ for it, get it. It's a YMMV thing: some ppl thing they're great, while others thing they're a waste. 

I'm in the "waste" camp. It doesn't bother me to wear the hospital gown. 

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I brought clothes to wear after labor and I didn't even bother. I wore a tshirt and the mesh underwear. When I had visitors, I stayed in bed. 
  • My doula recommended I buy a moo moo for l&d and jammies for after. I felt like it did make a difference in how I felt and how the hospital staff treated me (this was my third birth). I will say that I wasn't in the moo moo long because I gave birth 4 hrs after arriving at the hospital and half of that time was in the tub naked and then pushing naked. However, having regular jammies to wear for the rest of my hospital vacation was really quite nice.
  • I'm rescuing an old robe from our Goodwill pile to bring to the hospital. Who cares what I get on it!
  • smn14smn14 member
    I didn't have time to change, labour was quick. Gave birth in the top I came in to hospital in! Then slept in a nursing top. To be honest, you lose all sense of modesty when giving birth and won't care if you're exposed probably...I really thought it would bother me but you end up with a bunch of people examining you, checking stuff etc so much I didn't notice that I was totally exposed! I would recommend a dressing gown for wandering to the loo in tho, or covering up for visitors 
  • Yeah, that didn't happen for me. The whole "losing all sense of modesty" thing. If I'm being honest, I was completely mortified the entire time I was pushing. I'm really creeped out by exposure like that. 
  • I bought one and I loved it! I personally find hospital gowns to be horribly uncomfortable mostly because I overheat and they don't breathe.  I bought a pretty pusher cotton gown and was very comfy! I ended up needing a csection and got to wear it the whole time. My hospital didn't care what I wore. 

• I lost all modesty while in the hospital. Why buy something that is just going to get ruined or disgusting? There's no way in hell I would be willing to wash the gown I wore during delivery. So gross. 
  • The gown I bought is designed to be disposable. 
  • nah, since I spent so much time in the shower the gown was the last thing I thought about.

• bunnywahl said:
    Ooh this is making me wonder if what I'm bringing is good or not. I can wear whatever I want in the birthing center I'm going to so I just bought a couple really soft long baggy sleep t-shirts from Target that I can dispose of after. I guess I'll just lift it up when they need to check the baby's heart rate with the doppler... hadn't thought of that! Doh.
    I labored at my birth center in yoga pants and a big t shirt, and then ended up pushing naked after getting out of the tub.  I also had brought with me a nursing tank, nightgown, and maxi skirt (I wore the nursing nightgown and robe after I had my shower). They just lifted my shirt when they needed to use the Doppler.  Birthing centers don't constantly monitor like hospitals do, and don't need access for epidurals, so whatever's comfy works!  
  • Everyone is seeing your everything anyway when it's labor time. Just wear something under it until it's time. I wore a sports bra during labor.

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
    Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• Doing the birthing center thing so I have to provide my own clothes. My doula recommended a sports bra (for tub laboring so you don't have to be topless if you don't want to) and a flowy skirt. It's easy access, provides coverage, and can be taken on or off quickly and easily in either direction. If it's too gross to take home I don't mind wasting the cost of one skirt- honestly with all the costs of delivering a baby the $15 skirt that keeps me comfy is the least of my worries. I vote mom's comfort is the most important thing. If twenty bucks is the difference between being comfortable and feeling pretty on such and important day, I don't think it's money wasted. I personally hate hospital gowns and would rather wear just about anything else. Glad your hospital is supportive!