Baby Names
Options

How Popular is Eleanor These Days?

agogo1agogo1 member
edited April 2016 in Baby Names
So sorry to start a second thread in less than 24 hours, but I did some more poking around and it looks like Eleanor is perhaps not as common as I thought. On the SSA site, it was #78 in 2014 (though as high as the 40s in some of the states that I looked at). It is a family name and I would love to use it as a first name, but not if it is a top 15-20 name in 2015/2016. The SSA site appears to only have info for as recently as 2014 and some of the other baby name sites I've looked at have it as high as #9 for popularity today. I know that everyone loves clicking things, so please tell me--do you think Eleanor is/was a top 15-20 name in the last year or so or do you think it has stuck around the #78 ranking that it had in 2014? Thank you for your help!
BabyFruit Ticker

How Popular is Eleanor These Days? 89 votes

Eleanor is probably in the top 15-20 most popular names today
25% 23 votes
Eleanor is probably below the top 20 most popular names today
74% 66 votes

Re: How Popular is Eleanor These Days?

• Options
    I'm watching this same name.  2015 name stats should be released around Mother's Day (May). I've also been lurking the BNB to track mentions and it hasn't gotten a ton of attention. In states where it shows up on top 100 it is pretty high but not 20 or up. In the rest of the states it doesn't even make top 100. I plan to go by my state results for popularity because of that.
  • Options
    Eleanor has been on the rise so it may keep going up. Also, I'm fairly sure that pretty much everyone is sick of the NN or FN Ellie.

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
    Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I doubt it will ever be in the top 50
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    Don't forget that even if it is in the top 20 (which I don't think it is) the number of children who have the name is still quite low. In the 1980s/1990s a top 20 name would have multiple children in, for example, a classroom. These days, even a top 20 name would have multiple children with that name in an entire school or year group, maybe 2 in a classroom. So, even if it's popular it may not be as common as you're worried it could be if that makes sense 
    Expecting Double Trouble, April 2016

• Options
    Yes I think it will increase on the 2015 data that comes out. Will it be top 20 likely no. I do think it gets lost in the sea of El names right now because everyone wants the OMG awesome nn of Ellie.  All El names seem very popular due to that. 

• Options
    @sistermarynapalmit's not letting me quote but everything you said! My name was in the mid 20's when I was born in 1985 and there was 1 other in my grade, 1 in the grade above me, and 1 in the grade below me. I never felt like it was too popular like the Jessica/ Caitlin/ Ashley crowd.
  • Options
    Between friends and coworkers and family, I know two born last year and one soon to arrive. One uses nn Ellie, another Ella. All of a sudden, I feel like the name is everywhere.
  • Options
    It's very common, but also very pretty.
  • Options
    It's a great name. It is pretty popular in the Midwest US (like I know 3 under 5).. Especially nn Ellie