February 2016 Moms
Options

UO Thursday

let it out ladies... 

Re: UO Thursday

• Options
    We took LO to a chiropractor yesterday and I think it was the best thing ever. It was intended to help with his eating issues but he slept so much better too. We aren't telling anyone else he's going after the super judgey comments from my parents but we'll be going again 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't know if this is a UO or FFC but i will never understand why people think it's an okay question to ask if I'm breastfeeding. I've noticed it's always older people who ask too. I don't want to answer because I'm EFF now and I have no idea if theyre asking to get all judgey on me. I just don't get it, why do people care so much?!
    DD1 was always very small for her age. I got this all. the. time. It was always, "oh wow, she's so small. Do you breastfeed?". When I said yes (EBF), it was followed up with anything from, "good for you", to "you should do formula instead, she's not getting enough to eat!" I will never understand the endless commentary from strangers on parenting. Interestingly, now that I have 2, people don't say a word. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I 100% agree about the feeding questions! Before I even gave birth my aunt and cousin wouldn't stop asking if I was going to breastfeed (my cousin EBF and acts like that makes her better than others) and I finally told them "I PROMISE you, I will feed my child." That shut them up. I planned on breastfeeding but it didn't work out. Would it have gotten better? Probably. But I have my sanity and have enjoyed my little rainbow baby we fought for 4 years to have. I wasn't enjoying breastfeeding. 

• Options
    mamacastromamacastro member
    edited April 2016
    My UO is your kids' sizes are not something that should be commented on. Example lately we are out in public and total strangers feel the need to tell me my kids are too small for their ages. Their doctor has said they are perfectly fine, I just have more petite children. Besides kids are not one size fits all. Just keep your comments to yourself its insulting and hurts sometimes and makes me feel like a bad mother 

Edited to add something 
  • Options
    The UO of the week is people telling me that I'll eventually get over having to take my LO to daycare or even just leaving her with her dad on his days off when I work. They say it's hard but it gets easier. Maybe it's true... but for right now... I'm barely holding it together. Just let me grieve this process and STFU!! 
  • Options
    The crazy feeding people drive me nuts, too! I'm a member of a couple of breastfeeding groups on Facebook and it kills me when a mom needs to stop and is asking for advice about how not to not be miserable or get mastitis when she stops and people want her to justify why she's stopping and give advice about how to continue instead. Let's just assume everyone is an adult, can make her own decisions and answer the poor lady's question so she's not in pain, ok, and keep your opinions for your own body. Ugh! 

@meg+on+the+DL I'm sorry you're getting "advice" and "helpful" stories. It's the worst when people won't just listen and let you be sad about something that is sad. Sending you some creepy internet hugs and hoping you get some wonderful snuggles after work!
  • Options
    I don't know if this is a UO or FFC but i will never understand why people think it's an okay question to ask if I'm breastfeeding. I've noticed it's always older people who ask too. I don't want to answer because I'm EFF now and I have no idea if theyre asking to get all judgey on me. I just don't get it, why do people care so much?!
    Yes yes yes!! Especially since (very generally) as a country, we do not make it extremely easy for a woman to breastfeed (no/very few great accommodations in airports/stores/restaurants or public places), and then you will occasionally get that jerk who gives you a side eye for daring to feed your child in public. No, not 1/4 of a boob!  
    It's like, you must breastfeed your child, but don't you dare attempt to be comfortable doing it outside your home. 

when people ask/comment on me breastfeeding, I want to ask what they ate for lunch and then comment on the nutritional value of it
  • Options
    Ugh YES! My dogs VET asked me at an appointment if I was nursing.... Oh I'm sorry what does that have to do with my dogs ear infection???? Why do people care? You do what you want with your baby, and I'll do what I want with mine.
  • Options
    srecupido said:
    This times a million! We went to my office for a visit and one of the ladies said "you're nursing right?" - no and also none of you business. I also hate when people ask why I'm not breastfeeding or insist on telling me it would have gotten easier or worked better if I kept it up(even though my milk never came in- trust me we tried everything, but that's no ones business either!). Even if I didn't try and just simply didn't want to breastfeed why is it anyone else's business? I shouldn't have to justify our feeding choices to anyone, so frustrating! 
    Yes!! I've never understood this one... Would you ask me if I fed my child only organic food? Or if they drank almond or cows milk? No because no one cares but when it comes to boobs it's everyone's business somehow 
    Yes, they will ask about those things, too. "Oh, he seems really active...have you tried cutting out all sugar and artificial dyes? And going all organic, no GMOs. She has digestive issues? Have you tried cutting out all dairy and gluten and putting her on a probiotic and kefir for breakfast every morning??" Some moms say the darnedest things. 
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    srecupido said:
    This times a million! We went to my office for a visit and one of the ladies said "you're nursing right?" - no and also none of you business. I also hate when people ask why I'm not breastfeeding or insist on telling me it would have gotten easier or worked better if I kept it up(even though my milk never came in- trust me we tried everything, but that's no ones business either!). Even if I didn't try and just simply didn't want to breastfeed why is it anyone else's business? I shouldn't have to justify our feeding choices to anyone, so frustrating! 
    Yes!! I've never understood this one... Would you ask me if I fed my child only organic food? Or if they drank almond or cows milk? No because no one cares but when it comes to boobs it's everyone's business somehow 
    Yes, they will ask about those things, too. "Oh, he seems really active...have you tried cutting out all sugar and artificial dyes? And going all organic, no GMOs. She has digestive issues? Have you tried cutting out all dairy and gluten and putting her on a probiotic and kefir for breakfast every morning??" Some moms say the darnedest things. 
    Oh no! Clearly I am blissfully ignorant to what's to come! 
  • Options
    smn14smn14 member
    @ashton2190 this!! We were in a fancy restaurant abd they had no facilities at all. It's ridiculous! Still makes me sad that majority of changing facilities are only in ladies ...what about helpful dads! 
  • Options
    I'm this close to boycotting every establishment (especially restaurant) that doesn't have a changing table in at least the women's restroom. How is this not a given when you open a business now?!
    Oh my! I was at one of my favorite resturaunts and I did not realize before that they don't have a changing table in the women's bathroom! I had to change baby on a tiny space between the two sinks they had there. Won't be going back there any time soon 
  • Options
    AchaeAchae member
    The UO of the week is people telling me that I'll eventually get over having to take my LO to daycare or even just leaving her with her dad on his days off when I work. They say it's hard but it gets easier. Maybe it's true... but for right now... I'm barely holding it together. Just let me grieve this process and STFU!! 
    It doesn't... I mean I don't mind leaving my kids at daycare or with their dad, but today I got a facetime from my husband of our daughter bawling her eyes out because she missed me and wanted me to come home. Thanks, hubby! My heart strings!
  • Options
    smn14 said:
    @ashton2190 this!! We were in a fancy restaurant abd they had no facilities at all. It's ridiculous! Still makes me sad that majority of changing facilities are only in ladies ...what about helpful dads! 
    I know, it's frustrating that if we're out I'm probably going to have to change her because if there's not a family bathroom, there's also probably not a changing table in the men's. Don't they realize there are single and SAH dads? We were at the mall and DH noticed the men's room had a changing area with a sink and changing pad on the counter. I was seriously impressed!
  • Options
    @Achae my mom watched DD1 and she always thought it would make me feel loved/missed when she'd tell me that LO cried for me all afternoon, "just wanted her mommy today", etc. No, it made me feel like crap that I was working and she needed me! 

• Options
    Going along with my usual distaste for endless FB posts about isagenix, Shakeology, etc... I can't stand when people post about weight loss and people always ask "what (program) are you doing?" We have gotten so far away from good old fashioned healthy lifestyle choices that we assume they're doing "something" to make it happen. The worst part is that 99.9% of the time, they are on some kind of program. It's never just "eating right and staying active" anymore. And when someone does lose weight just on healthy changes, how crappy that everyone immediately assumed they must've be on some diet program, as though they couldn't do it on their own. 

(FWIW, I dont include Weight Watchers in those "programs", since that's still about choices and not drink this can, eat this package.)

• Options
    VitaLuna said:
    Going along with my usual distaste for endless FB posts about isagenix, Shakeology, etc... I can't stand when people post about weight loss and people always ask "what (program) are you doing?" We have gotten so far away from good old fashioned healthy lifestyle choices that we assume they're doing "something" to make it happen. The worst part is that 99.9% of the time, they are on some kind of program. It's never just "eating right and staying active" anymore. And when someone does lose weight just on healthy changes, how crappy that everyone immediately assumed they must've be on some diet program, as though they couldn't do it on their own. 

(FWIW, I dont include Weight Watchers in those "programs", since that's still about choices and not drink this can, eat this package.)
    But "eating right and staying active" doesn't have 90 superfoods?!??!! I mean, don't you want to put only the best into your body???? ;) 

@srecupido I can't tell if your response is tongue-in-cheek or serious, but just in case.  I didn't mean to come off as the "let me tell you how it really is" mom.  That kind of mom drives me nuts. My bad.  Its just...the things you overhear at playdates!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @MississippiCatfish I know, the rest of us are just lazy for not putting 500 superfood/whole food ingredients in our smoothies. 

The biggest crock of them all are the colon cleanse products. Why pay ridiculous amounts just to get diarrhea? You can get a much cheaper GI cleanse just by eating at Taco Bell! 

• Options
    VitaLuna said:

But "eating right and staying active" doesn't have 90 superfoods?!??!! I mean, don't you want to put only the best into your body???? ;) 

@srecupido I can't tell if your response is tongue-in-cheek or serious, but just in case.  I didn't mean to come off as the "let me tell you how it really is" mom.  That kind of mom drives me nuts. My bad.  Its just...the things you overhear at playdates!
    Nope totally sarcastic:) I'm sure, like with everything else, there will always be the new challenge or annoyance but for now I'm trying to pretend they don't exist! ;) 
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    srecupido said:
    VitaLuna said:

Nope totally sarcastic:) I'm sure, like with everything else, there will always be the new challenge or annoyance but for now I'm trying to pretend they don't exist! ;) 
    I choose to believe that once my kids are in school and no longer with me all day every day, parenting will be a BREeZE!

eta forgot a word
    Pregnancy Ticker