Working Moms

Daycare director lying about amount of outside playtime kids get

So my 4 year old is in preschool this year after having my mom watch her since she was a baby.  When I toured the school they told me they take the kids out everyday unless it is severe cold or raining.  They have an indoor gym for rainy days.  The reality is that they hardly ever take the kids outside.  If it is cloudy, they don't go out.  If it is slightly chilly they don't go out.  If it rained the day before and it is wet, they don't go out.  One time I even questioned the teacher about it and she said to me "Well, we didn't make it outside today because we were painting and it took too long."   What?!

They always seem to go to the gym and will only go out if it's sunny and 60 degrees.  I finally talked to the director about it the other day and she said, "Well, if it's nice out I make the teachers take them out."  I asked her what "nice weather" meant to her like if there was a policy they follow on what degrees is too cold.  She said if it's warmer than 37 degrees.  This is such BS since there are MANY days when it is warmer than that and the teachers don't take them out.  I said to her "Oh, well my daughter tells me that they don't go outside."  And then she answered me with "Yes, they go outside."  I also wanted to add that I can log in  and watch her class so I can tell if they're outside or in the gym.

I don't know if I should pursue this further or not.  It annoys me that they don't feel it's important for young kids to have daily outdoor play and it annoys me even more that the director lied to me about it but my daughter is only there for 2 and a half more months and then she will be home with me for the summer and then come September I am switching her.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Daycare director lying about amount of outside playtime kids get

• If you're leaving anyway then I wouldn't pursue it, it's 2 more months and if you don't have a back up plan (they could get all huffy and disenroll your child or something) then I'd just stick it out (as long as you don't feel there's any threat to her health or safety). Once you leave I'd definitely post a review about it though.

I used to work for a state agency that monitored daycare quality and it's been my experience that if they're lying about that then there are other things they're not being honest about either. Red flag. Good you're pulling her out.
  • klirwin82 said:
    If you're leaving anyway then I wouldn't pursue it, it's 2 more months and if you don't have a back up plan (they could get all huffy and disenroll your child or something) then I'd just stick it out (as long as you don't feel there's any threat to her health or safety). Once you leave I'd definitely post a review about it though.

I used to work for a state agency that monitored daycare quality and it's been my experience that if they're lying about that then there are other things they're not being honest about either. Red flag. Good you're pulling her out.
    Thanks!  I thought I would just let it go since she's only there 2 more months anyway.  Her teachers seem very sweet and she seems to like her teachers but the director lying to me about this rubbed me the wrong way and it bothers me that she doesn't see the importance of outdoor play.
  • Loading the player...
  • This is tough. I usually don't know how to shut my mouth and if I knew the director was lying, I'd push a little further (in a nice way). Outside play is very important IMO and the lying isn't cool BUT you are pulling her out soon so maybe stay quiet and don't make waves. If she's happy at the school then just stick it out. Play outside on the weekends!
  • Can you drop in on a day over 37 when it's not raining during the time where they are scheduled to be outside to see if they really are? I think that this is a pretty serious offense. First of all, why wouldn't they be taking the kids outside? Aren't they happier and therefore easier to watch when they go outside anyways? Secondly I know that my state has laws saying that they must take the kids outside at least twice a day for a set amount of time if it's above freezing and not raining/snowing in order to maintain their accreditation. You should check to see what the laws are in your area. 
  • If it's a licensed daycare, they are required to take kids outside for at least 15 minutes daily. In my state anyway. My daughter goes outside rain, shine and snow. As long as the temps aren't below zero, they get some fresh air daily. This time of year, at pickup the kids are always outside. 
  • Can you drop in on a day over 37 when it's not raining during the time where they are scheduled to be outside to see if they really are? I think that this is a pretty serious offense. First of all, why wouldn't they be taking the kids outside? Aren't they happier and therefore easier to watch when they go outside anyways? Secondly I know that my state has laws saying that they must take the kids outside at least twice a day for a set amount of time if it's above freezing and not raining/snowing in order to maintain their accreditation. You should check to see what the laws are in your area. 
    I can't drop in but I am usually able to log in on the ezcam around the time they are supposed to be outside.  There have been many days where it's in the 40s and I see an empty classroom with all of the kids coats still hanging up on the coat racks by the cubbies.  That's how I know they took the kids to the indoor gym instead of outside.  Also my daughter makes comments to me all the time about how they  never go outside. 
  • It doesn't seem to make a difference know though since it has been in the 50s lately so they actually have been taking the kids outside.  Oh well.  At least she will be going out from now on until we're done with school in June even if she wasn't going out the whole rest of the school year.