April 2016 Moms

~~Newborn update thread~~

rebelonerebelone member
edited April 2016 in April 2016 Moms
We have a labor watch, birth story, post partum thread, and I was thinking we can have a newborn thread so we can get updates on how our babies are doing. For moms who already gave birth, how are your little ones doing? We'd love to know!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It's a boy! Grow baby, grow! EDD: 4/22/2016

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: ~~Newborn update thread~~

• Loading the player...
  • allisshineyallisshiney member
    edited April 2016
    Heading back home today after our 24hr hospital stay for jaundice.  Back in tomorrow to recheck his levels.  Still nursing like a champ. 
  • All these babies are so cute!  My LO is 8 days old today. His older brother (23months) was a wretched sleeper and literally only learned to STTN consistently in January. My April guy (actually born 3/30) is sleeping allllll day, then fussing half asleep but not happy basically all night. He gives me a couple of hours of sleep near dawn (and at this point I'm worn down and have given up on the bassinet, so he's in bed with me and I'm sleeping lightly as a result). I can't remember the early days with LO1 anymore. Anyone else in this boat or am I doomed to make bad sleepers?
  • I'm melting, ladies! Your little ones are so beautiful! Congratulations! <3
  • We had newborn pictures done today at 8 days old. Levi was basically awake the whole time but we managed to get some good ones! He fell asleep on the way home and has been sleeping two hours since, haha!

In general he is a very content baby and has been giving me nice stretches of sleep at night (3-6 hours). He has latched well from the beginning and I think we are on our way to forming a schedule!

The best thing? He has the softest skin and hair known to man! DD was well cooked AND had eczema, so I've never had a baby with baby soft skin. This rocks!

Also, I love seeing all your babes! 
  • myla14 said:
    All these babies are so cute!  My LO is 8 days old today. His older brother (23months) was a wretched sleeper and literally only learned to STTN consistently in January. My April guy (actually born 3/30) is sleeping allllll day, then fussing half asleep but not happy basically all night. He gives me a couple of hours of sleep near dawn (and at this point I'm worn down and have given up on the bassinet, so he's in bed with me and I'm sleeping lightly as a result). I can't remember the early days with LO1 anymore. Anyone else in this boat or am I doomed to make bad sleepers?
    LO3 isn't here yet so I can't speak for her yet. But my first was the worst sleeper by far. I spent months with her sleeping on my chest. She didn't sleep consistently through the night until well after she turned two. LO2 was better, but not great. I'm praying for a miracle this time :) Hope it gets better for you
  • @jonesl12 DH has spent the last 10ish hours blaming his farts on Ellie, since the dogs aren't here to blame. Adalynn is cute enough to get away with stinky farts ;)

Question for BFers - Ellie has a pretty decent latch (for only feeding 3 times) and suckles well, but every time my alarm goes off to feed her I think I'd rather stick white-hot needles into my nipples. What am I doing wrong?
  • @jonesl12 DH has spent the last 10ish hours blaming his farts on Ellie, since the dogs aren't here to blame. Adalynn is cute enough to get away with stinky farts ;)

Question for BFers - Ellie has a pretty decent latch (for only feeding 3 times) and suckles well, but every time my alarm goes off to feed her I think I'd rather stick white-hot needles into my nipples. What am I doing wrong?
    I know "they" say it shouldn't hurt;  just feel like a pulling tugging sensation, but my nipples have always been sore and hurt with all of my babies. Mine are just now starting to feel better with Maeve, but they are still sensitive. You could have a shallow latch. Make sure you are bringing baby to your breast as best you can to ensure that she gets the nipple as far back into her mouth as possible.  As long as your nipples aren't bleeding or cracking then I would say that it is probably pretty normal for the first week.  Hope this helps. It is kind of like torture at first, but it works itself out. 
  • @AmadorRoseI agree with erind228. The latch hurt so bad the first 2 weeks it was torture with my DS. I think even with good practices our nipples have an adjustment period. I was on pain meds for a c-section and swear 90% of why I took them those first few weeks was BFing! Just hang in there it will pass.
  • @amadorrose the pain is normal in the beginning, but it will get better as your nipples toughen up. Keep using nipple cream and/or express a little breastmilk onto your nipples and let them air dry after each feeding. It gets better!
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • @myla14 Some kids are just lousy sleepers. My mom totally blamed Co sleeping for my first being horrible, but I've coslept with my other four, too, and they all sleep great now. My first is 13 and still doesn't always sttn. Some babies/people just don't. Do whatever gets everyone the most sleep. 
  • myla14myla14 member
    edited April 2016
    @jonesl12Beautiful pictures!  Did you use the hospital photographer or do you have a talented family member?

As for latching, I find it very painful for at least a few days-1 week. It was shorter with #2 and the pain seems to be almost gone at 9 days pp. With #1 I had bleeding nipples (yuck, sorry), and he ended up nursing for 20 months pain free once they healed. 

And thanks for for the kind thoughts re my bad sleepers:). This one still hasn't woken up during the day for more than 10 minutes. I started sleeping on the couch at night so at least I'm not so mad to wake up for a while. 
  • Talked to the lactation consultant and it was definitely my latch. I don't know if I'll be able to get her to latch correctly but at least I know the difference! The LC's latch resulted in uncomfortable pulling but my previous latches had caused some extreme pain...not as bad as contractions but probably the 3rd or 4th worst pain I've ever felt. 
  • thaisac1thaisac1 member
    edited April 2016
    Most likely latch... If they latch to the nipple only it hurts like hell and scars the nipple!

I think a little bit of pain is always expected though. It always hurts when Luca first latches, because my nipples are not super pointy and he sucks them out to be able to feed. 5 seconds later that pain goes away and then for the rest of the feeding is just a very mild discomfort. 
  • Little Luca is doing well! Nursing is going quite well after the lactation consultant visit we had 2 days ago. Had a pediatrician appointment yesterday and although he was a bit jaundiced she didn't worry; and he is already regaining weight!

The only issue we are having are his fussyness in the evenings... He will not lay down and sleep , and I am starting to think it is because of gas pains. Any advice from BTDT moms?
  • @WiseUsagi hi i'm lurking from July BMB. My 1st DD had jaundice so my doctor wanted her to be fed every 2 hrs and to drink at least 1oz every time she of course just wanted to sleep (don't know if him falling asleep is your problem). We basically had to annoy her to keep her awake long enough to drink that much we found that tickling her feet seemed to help the most and feeding her in a well lite area. 
  • thaisac1 said:
    The only issue we are having are his fussyness in the evenings... He will not lay down and sleep , and I am starting to think it is because of gas pains. Any advice from BTDT moms?
    Try to keep him upright for at least 10-15 minutes after each feeding so the bubbles have time to settle. Otherwise, the generic version of the Mylicon gas drops are exactly the same and $3.50 here. Theo does much better with them - still strong enough burps to spit up, but not nearly as fussy and the farts are less terrifyingly loud :) 
    Anniversary 
  • thaisac1 said:
    Little Luca is doing well! Nursing is going quite well after the lactation consultant visit we had 2 days ago. Had a pediatrician appointment yesterday and although he was a bit jaundiced she didn't worry; and he is already regaining weight!

Google "witching hour." Mine have all had this for the first couple months. They are only happy if they can cluster feed all evening. I've found that the 3 month mark is when I can put them down at 7pm for bed and they actually go to sleep for the night.
  • I'm a week + 2 days PP and breastfeeding has been getting better. LO eats a ton and we have been trying hard to get a deeper latch which has really helped with soreness and bleeding. I felt so bad, she coughed up blood on Wednesday that was all from my nipples, the pediatrician said it would not harm her, just give her an upset stomach. But it was terrifying to say the least! We went to lactation consultant and she gave me nipple shells, and they have been a lifesaver! They allow my nipples to get airflow, but also protect them from rubbing against clothing. She also said to mix equal parts hydrocortisone and neosporin and rub it on my nipples, and all of that combined with a deeper latch has helped to make BF much much less painful! 
  • thaisac1 said:
    Little Luca is doing well! Nursing is going quite well after the lactation consultant visit we had 2 days ago. Had a pediatrician appointment yesterday and although he was a bit jaundiced she didn't worry; and he is already regaining weight!

Google "witching hour." Mine have all had this for the first couple months. They are only happy if they can cluster feed all evening. I've found that the 3 month mark is when I can put them down at 7pm for bed and they actually go to sleep for the night.
    Agree with this. When Rhys was a baby, he would often cluster feed for hours leading up to bedtime and didn't go down for the night until 10 or 11. He wasn't super fussy, but he wanted to eat. All. the. time.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • sarahuflsarahufl member
    edited April 2016
    Y'all, DD heavily favors my left breast. She is very lazy and slow on the right but takes to the left right away. I think she's getting enough (weight is great, dirty diapers are where they should be, seems very content) but my right breast is killing me. It's rock hard if she doesn't eat much from it. Any tips?
  • thaisac1 said:
    sarahufl said:
    Y'all, DD heavily favors my left breast. She is very lazy and slow on the right but takes to the left right away. I think she's getting enough (weight is great, dirty diapers are where they should be, seems very content) but my right breast is killing me. It's rock hard if she doesn't eat much from it. Any tips?
    My son was the opposite, would latch on the right immediately but would not take the left. He would put it in his mouth and then withdraw many times until the point of frustration , which included loud crying and flailing.. Wasn't pretty. It was because my left nipple was flatter than the right and he just couldn't get it started.

I got a tip from a LC which really helped. Since he latched on the right breast right away in cross cradle position,  for the left breast we figured we would have him approach it from the same position (meaning head to the right) while in a football hold. That made the whole difference. He now knows to suck out the nipple for a sec before coming back for the latch. Since he got used to this technique, I am now practicing with him taking the left breast from a cross cradle position again, and this time he is taking it - just takes him a few extra tries. 
    This exactly. Baby may prefer being in a certain position to feed. Try a few different holds while nursing on the less-preferred side. My third baby had a hard time latching properly on one side for the first few days and using a different hold made a huge difference. Once she got the hang of it, I was able to put her in my preferred position.