2nd Trimester

Zika Virus - Advice?

Hello all - 

Due to the zika virus, my husband and I scrapped our babymoon to Turks and Caicos and decided on something in the mountains here in our state.  At this point, the virus hasn't been found in either Turks and Caicos OR our other favorite Grand Cayman.  Now that we're getting closer, I am struggling a bit because I am SUCH a warm weather person and have wanted to go to these two places so badly for our trip.  My husband says we can make it happen. What would you do?  The sensible part of me is saying I don't want to worry about every little bite I get or eating outside etc. it's better to be cautious. But the other side of me is saying - it hasn't been found there are you going to lock yourself at home due to this?  Stupid zika.  Thanks for your kind thoughts and working through this with me ladies.

Amanda

Re: Zika Virus - Advice?

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies - that's what I am thinking too. It was just so tempting especially when I'm only worrying about one child at home vs. two in the future! But... I'll make the hubbs plan to take me next year LOL :) Thanks!A
  • I feel your pain. I really wanted to go to St Maarten again this year but I can't take the chance. There's always next year. Better to be safe than sorry. 
  • Why don't you go somewhere warmer... but not tropical? I'm thinking for me, going to SC in may would be *almost* as good (in VT here... Memorial day we sometimes have snow.)

• tgortneytgortney member
    edited April 2016
    Vegas! You can always go to Vegas! That's what we did and it was awesome :) no mosquitoes found that far in the desert lol
  • condoritacondorita member
    edited April 2016
    Hello,
    I'll give the opposite input here...I do not know much about the Zika situation in Turks and Caicos, but I recently went to Riviera Maya for vacation. I researched at the time and found that there were no reported cases in the area I was visiting, so I concluded the risk was very low, despite mass histeria around the topic (airlines were even offering full refunds in my home country). I get the "better safe than sorry" concept, but if you go by actual data and statistics, the risk may be much lower than other threats in you own home.
    I am very happy that I went. I didn't see any mosquitos during my week there, or any other bugs for that matter, and certainly didn't get any bites at all. The resort was extremely clean and completely bug-free. I took repelent from my home country and planned to buy more there with the recommended DEET concentration, but it wasn't even necessary. In hindsight, I would have felt very silly if I had cancelled, and I completely enjoyed my trip.
    If it is an area with no reported cases and you're planning to stay at a good, well-kept resort that is not close to still water bodies, mangroves, etc., I would totally go.

• Here was my situation: I went on a cruise to the Caribbean back in February. Zika Virus was there at that time. I was definitely worried, but because it was a family trip (13 of us) and we had been planning it since before baby was even conceived, I decided to still go. We mainly stayed on the ship at the 3 ports (well...got off for a little while in Cozumel after putting on a TON of DEET bug spray.) Saw no mosquitos and baby is currently perfectly healthy. I don't regret going at all. I took the precautions. Getting in a vehicle every day is more dangerous these days. lol

If it were a place with no documented cases, I personally think I would still go. My doctor said that there are still SO much people don't know about it all. Also, she said if it IS the Virus causing Microcephaly, it's most dangerous if you get it in the 1st trimester when baby is still going through major brain development.

But once again...there is SO much unknown and I personally don't want to live in fear. Take the necessary precautions, but don't let it freak you out.

Me: 32 | DH: 33
    Met: 2005 | Started Dating: 2009 | Married: 2013

TTC#1: 06.2014;   BFP: 12.2015; DS Born: August 16, 2016
    TTC#2: 12.2017; BFP: 02.26.2018; CP 03.02.2018
                                BFP: 04.26.2018 DD Born: December 26, 2018
    Surprise Pregnancy #3; BFP: 01.11.2020; Due Date: September 19, 2021

• It's not surprising that Zika can ' cause' Guillain-Barré syndrome, though. Any virus can. It's an autoimmune system freak out, totally unpredictable and random. My husband developed it after a mild upper respiratory illness. Anyway, personally, I feel avoiding places with no reported cases is silly and unwarranted.
  • Exercise commence sense, they have travel warnings for pregnant moms....you should already know what to do.
  • tgortney said:
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2016/04/11/scarier-than-we-initially-thought-cdc-sounds-warning-zika-virus/82894878/

After reading this, yeah no, when people who science say it is scary. It is damn scary.

For real.  I live in NC and I read that this morning and immediately emailed DH about getting our yard sprayed for mosquitoes this summer.  I am not even currently pregnant.  but until such time as there is either a vaccine for Zika, or I am completely done having children, I'll be spraying our yard.  It's not a question of if it will make it to the US, it is a question of when.  And the research on sexual transmission is the scariest part - apparently the virus can live in sperm for MONTHS after the virus leaves the rest of the body, and then it can be spread sexually.  NO.  NO THANK YOU.  NO MOSQUITO BITES FOR ANYONE.
  •  Here's how I am treating this, if something were to happen to your baby, do you want to live with the thought that you may have put yourself at risk?  Could you live with yourself? The latest CDC Report includes many more places now. Even though the risk  May seem low, would you want to be that small percentage?    
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We cancelled our highly anticipated trip to Mexico in March & also decided to cancel our trip to Disney World in Feb.... It sucked but also in the "better safe then sorry" boat. Now that those trips care & went I don't think about it much, but the whole week we were supposed to be in Mexico I thought about it every day. But, of course not worth it. We are postponing until 2017 & think we will leave our kids with my parents & have our 1st "adults" vacation since pre-kids. Looking forward to that now!
    Lilypie - Eu0n
    BFP: 12/3/15     EDD: 8/11/16     IT'S A BOY!!!
    MAXIMUS POWERS   8♥5♥16

Lilypie - pXE7
    BFP: 8/5/13      EDD: 4/13/14     IT'S A GIRL!!!      
    AYLA BLAIR   3♥27♥14

• We cancelled our highly anticipated trip to Mexico in March & also decided to cancel our trip to Disney World in Feb.... It sucked but also in the "better safe then sorry" boat. Now that those trips care & went I don't think about it much, but the whole week we were supposed to be in Mexico I thought about it every day. But, of course not worth it. We are postponing until 2017 & think we will leave our kids with my parents & have our 1st "adults" vacation since pre-kids. Looking forward to that now!
    I can understand cancelling Mexico, but DisneyWorld, not so much.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • FemShep said:
    We cancelled our highly anticipated trip to Mexico in March & also decided to cancel our trip to Disney World in Feb.... It sucked but also in the "better safe then sorry" boat. Now that those trips care & went I don't think about it much, but the whole week we were supposed to be in Mexico I thought about it every day. But, of course not worth it. We are postponing until 2017 & think we will leave our kids with my parents & have our 1st "adults" vacation since pre-kids. Looking forward to that now!
    Seriously.  There are no cases of mosquito-transmitted Zika in the US, and Disney sprays the crap out of their property to kill mosquitos. I'm planning a trip to WDW in August and I'm super excited about it. 
    Lol. People are super afraid of going anywhere on a coastal setting. I live in San Diego and its either beach or desert, and there still haven't been any issues here.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • FemShep said:
    We cancelled our highly anticipated trip to Mexico in March & also decided to cancel our trip to Disney World in Feb.... It sucked but also in the "better safe then sorry" boat. Now that those trips care & went I don't think about it much, but the whole week we were supposed to be in Mexico I thought about it every day. But, of course not worth it. We are postponing until 2017 & think we will leave our kids with my parents & have our 1st "adults" vacation since pre-kids. Looking forward to that now!
    Seriously.  There are no cases of mosquito-transmitted Zika in the US, and Disney sprays the crap out of their property to kill mosquitos. I'm planning a trip to WDW in August and I'm super excited about it. 
    Lol. People are super afraid of going anywhere on a coastal setting. I live in San Diego and its either beach or desert, and there still haven't been any issues here.
    I will happily come visit you in San Diego. :)

Shaking my my head at the lack of common sense. 
  • FemShep said:
    FemShep said:
    I will happily come visit you in San Diego. :)

Shaking my my head at the lack of common sense. 
    We rock out here.... However, we had a freaking HOT day today.... 98 in the shade at my house, and it's only April!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I feel for you, we wanted warm and tropical too but as a million other people have said, not worth the risk to your child. Is it worth risking it for you to have 1-2 weeks of fun, but your child to potentially deal with a serious medical condition for the rest of his or her life? As pp said, take your dream trip after baby is here.

We are going to the beach in NC and super excited about it.

• Florida is a main port for people coming in from the carribean. That's why not wdw. Now there are confirmed cases in the US, and guess where, yep FLA. 
  • I wouldn't do it!  I conceived in Mexico in early June.  Yesterday I had to get tested for Zika even though Quintana Roo only had 3 confirmed cases when I was there (now up to 10).  Microcephaly is very serious and life altering.  I wouldn't risk it for anything with this babe. My husband is getting tested too and we were told NO travel.  I'm actually skipping my beloved aunt's funeral in FL due to Zika.  The CDC is taking this so seriously, as they should.  Ps. I only had one mosquito bite while in Mexico (Cancun and Playa del Carmen).  Be safe!!!