June 2015 Moms
Options

Working moms check in March & beyond

For those of you still out there how's it going?

Re: Working moms check in March & beyond

• Options
    ^^ Hope the interview went well!
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    ^^ good luck!!
  • Options
    Interview went okay. Was just kind of awkward when she told me straight away she knew my boss. Wasn't sure what to say so I just smiled. My boss is a big reason why I'm leaving so...They were at the same convention today so I hope she didn't mention anything to her about me interviewing! I know it's terrible but I'm pretty scared of my boss!
  • Options
    ciennah99 said:
    Interview went okay. Was just kind of awkward when she told me straight away she knew my boss. Wasn't sure what to say so I just smiled. My boss is a big reason why I'm leaving so...They were at the same convention today so I hope she didn't mention anything to her about me interviewing! I know it's terrible but I'm pretty scared of my boss!
    Good luck! It would be VERY unprofessional of her to mention it to your boss, and a sign that she's not very trustworthy. I'm sorry you're in a difficult position, and good for you for seeking to change that. I really hope it works out for you!

Sending huge love to all the working mamas today. The balance is so tough!!

Growing up, I was admittedly resentful that my mother worked through most of my sports events - though appreciated that she worked so that my father could attend. Looking back, I think it's awesome that she owned her own business and set an example of a career woman. No resentment whatsoever. 

• Options
    I have finally reached a point in my life where I hate snow days. It's just code for no child care. If my kid were old enough to stick in front of the TV for a few hours it wouldn't be so bad, but I missed out on a bunch of work this week because daycare had two snow days in a row.
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
  • Options
    There's some days when I'm thankful Monday comes around and someone else can play with her.  Thought I'd never say that but man after rough days it's a nice, selfish break.  Then Wednesday comes around and I'm begging for the weekend.
  • Options
    Still waiting on that job! Down to me & one other person. @slr1229 I've definitely felt that way before. Lately I'm back to missing LO so much & not wanting to leave her as much as I have to. I suppose this will fluctuate and also probably depends on how satisfied you are with your job. Days when I've been particularly productive & enjoyed my work it's not so bad. Mostly I just think I'm burnt out on work. Hopefully that will get better. 
  • Options
    slr1229 said:
    There's some days when I'm thankful Monday comes around and someone else can play with her.  Thought I'd never say that but man after rough days it's a nice, selfish break.  Then Wednesday comes around and I'm begging for the weekend.
    Ditto. Why can't we all find that perfect part-time, high-paying job, right?!
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Options
    I just got offered today a new job. I just found out yesterday I'm pregnant AGAIN. If I take this new job, does anyone know if there are any repercussions or anything if I tell them pregnant a month into the job? I'm so nervous. I'm currently working part time and got offered a full time job. I'm just so confused on what to do and would hate to start somewhere new, then surprise I'm pregnant and will be leaving you guys in 8 months!
  • Options
    I just got offered today a new job. I just found out yesterday I'm pregnant AGAIN. If I take this new job, does anyone know if there are any repercussions or anything if I tell them pregnant a month into the job? I'm so nervous. I'm currently working part time and got offered a full time job. I'm just so confused on what to do and would hate to start somewhere new, then surprise I'm pregnant and will be leaving you guys in 8 months!

I would not say anything until you start to show. I interviewed at 25 weeks and started at 30 weeks pregnant. The worst thing was it was all unpaid leave. As long as you show them you're serious about doing a good job then you're golden. Basically pregnancy is a short term situation, show them you're a great long term employee.

Congrats BTW!
  • Options
    I wouldn't say anything. Accept first and then when you start to show let them know. You may not qualify for FMLA since you have to be there a year. You'd have to see. STD is after 6 months.
  • Options
    Kbchavez23 , in the US you shouldn't have any issues/problems if you're hired while pregnant and they don't find out until afterwards (whether right away or not).  Even so though, I agree with @klirwin82 about making a point to show them you're a great long term employee...so depending on where you are in your pregnancy, I imagine it would be nice if you were able to wait a bit to let them start to get attached to you, etc.  But I wouldn't wait too long either as you want to make sure everyone has time to prep for your time away.

@jessieR358 makes a good reminder/point that since you won't be there for a year yet, you wouldn't qualify for FMLA (assuming they are a large enough company to be required to comply).  But that doesn't mean they won't save your job of course.

Congratulations on the pregnancy and the new gig!  :)
  • Options
    Kbchavez23 , in the US you shouldn't have any issues/problems if you're hired while pregnant and they don't find out until afterwards (whether right away or not).  Even so though, I agree with @klirwin82 about making a point to show them you're a great long term employee...so depending on where you are in your pregnancy, I imagine it would be nice if you were able to wait a bit to let them start to get attached to you, etc.  But I wouldn't wait too long either as you want to make sure everyone has time to prep for your time away.

@jessieR358 makes a good reminder/point that since you won't be there for a year yet, you wouldn't qualify for FMLA (assuming they are a large enough company to be required to comply).  But that doesn't mean they won't save your job of course.

Congratulations on the pregnancy and the new gig!  :)
    Thank you very much! According to when I had my last menstrual cycle I'm at about 4-5 weeks, I'm thinking to tell them around 12 weeks and that'll be a good 2 months for them to get to know me :) I work for the city of which I live in. I'm currently employed part time as a temp but will now be permanent full time. I'll have to see if they give me any info on pregnancy leave when I go to orientation next week. Just kind of a bummer it's all working out kind of backwards lol.
  • Options
    I wouldn't say anything. Accept first and then when you start to show let them know. You may not qualify for FMLA since you have to be there a year. You'd have to see. STD is after 6 months.
    Fyi: FMLA is a federal law so that is always a year...but STD is generally private and specific to the company you work for (though I believe some states also have requirements).

For example at my prior job you had to be there 12 months for STD to kick in.  At my current job it kicks in immediately, though the amount of payout depends on how long you've been with the company.

Also, if STD is something that is optional that you have to pay into, you may not qualify for it if you are already pregnant (that is considered a pre existing condition).  Where I work it is provided free to all full time employees, but I have friends that have to opt in and pay premiums for theirs who could not add it on during open enrollment if they didn't already have it before getting pregnant.
  • Options
    ^^ thanks for clarifying STD! Mine is after 6 months. We're given 50% but I pay extra in to it.  A fun fact I was NOT expecting...they don't take taxes out of your STD payout. So Taxes were not fun this year :( I'm sure everyone else eventually figured that out too! 
  • Options
    Ugh! I just need to win the lotto. Haha
    its so hard keeping up with two kids and house work and working. Especially now that Luke is walking all over the place, he's much harder to contain! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Options
    Ok I feel like a noob, what does std stand for?
  • Options
    Ok I feel like a noob, what does std stand for?
    Short term disability??
  • Options
    ^^ thanks for clarifying STD! Mine is after 6 months. We're given 50% but I pay extra in to it.  A fun fact I was NOT expecting...they don't take taxes out of your STD payout. So Taxes were not fun this year :( I'm sure everyone else eventually figured that out too! 

Oh man that stinks...my taxes and benefits were all taken out of my STD payout, so since it was paid at 100% of my normal salary, it just looked exactly like a normal paycheck by the time I got it.  It all depends on the company - basically you want to read up on your STD policy if that's how you will be paid out during leave.

In the past week my employer has announced a legitimate Parental Leave policy, so next time I go out on maternity leave I will get 16 weeks at 100% pay.  That is going to be absolutely amazing compared to the 6 weeks at 100% followed by 6 weeks unpaid that I took with DD.

STD = Short Term Disability.

• Options
    @delujm0 that is amazing!  I would love for my company to introduce something similar but I highly doubt it will ever happen.  
  • Options
    delujm0 said:

Oh man that stinks...my taxes and benefits were all taken out of my STD payout, so since it was paid at 100% of my normal salary, it just looked exactly like a normal paycheck by the time I got it.  It all depends on the company - basically you want to read up on your STD policy if that's how you will be paid out during leave.

In the past week my employer has announced a legitimate Parental Leave policy, so next time I go out on maternity leave I will get 16 weeks at 100% pay.  That is going to be absolutely amazing compared to the 6 weeks at 100% followed by 6 weeks unpaid that I took with DD.

STD = Short Term Disability.

Oh that is so nice! 
  • Options
    That is amazing! Yeah I couldn't believe I was getting 60% of my pay for 7 weeks and then 1/3 of that went to taxes. we're already saving up for baby #2 maternity leave. I'm thankful I got to take 16 weeks off but some 100% paid leave would have been nice! Our paternal leaves are such a disgrace for the most part in the US. I'm sure I'll be done having kids by the time my company changes its policy. 
  • Options
    Some times I'm glad I missed prime hiring season for me field while having the baby. Sadly, there are a  crazy amount of jobs that pay at least 50% better than my job that I just started in December. I'm strongly torn between enjoying my good setup and going for the better pay. I work for government so there isn't a lot of negotiation on pay where I'm at.
  • Options
    @fridaysdance my hubby works for the government and believe you me the insurance and time off make up for the more pay. LO spent a week in the nicu and it only cost $900 which is not to terrible at all. 
  • Options
    Some times I'm glad I missed prime hiring season for me field while having the baby. Sadly, there are a  crazy amount of jobs that pay at least 50% better than my job that I just started in December. I'm strongly torn between enjoying my good setup and going for the better pay. I work for government so there isn't a lot of negotiation on pay where I'm at.
    I left my easy, no sweat govt job at 30 weeks preggo to chase a bigger paycheck. Meh, still doubting that move. Now I don't have any bank holidays off (while my husband, who still works for the govt, does), I have crappy PTO accrual and a ton of work to do all the time. I get home and still have work to do after giving LO his bath. And forget about dipping out at noon to take care of appointments or errands. I'm not sure the pay is worth the extra stress. And FWIW I swear as soon as you make $1 more it gets spent in some bad way. I got a bonus last week and sure enough, this week our dishwasher broke. WTF.
  • Options
    ^^ That sucks:( and always happens to us I feel like.  When I went on maternity leave my hours were (and everyone else in the company) cut by about 20 hours a month, but I'll say the time at home with my baby was way worth the pay cut.  
  • Options
    My holidays are pretty great and I get a lot of time off. I just feel bored half the day because I'm the kind of person who comes in and does their work right away in the morning. The nice thing is both of us have parents within a couple minutes who are on different work schedules than us and can help with the baby if we have to make an appointment at a time we can't get off work. I hate doing it that way but her pediatrician can get booked up and hard to reschedule sometimes for regular visits.