2nd Trimester
Options

Anyone get wrong gender on Maternit21?

meln314meln314 member
edited April 2016 in 2nd Trimester
Hi ladies! I was just wondering if anyone had the Maternit21 test done and had a different result at their anatomy scan? I've heard of it's a boy it's pretty much 100% sure but for girls sometimes they miss the Y chromosome in the blood. Just curious!

Re: Anyone get wrong gender on Maternit21?

• Options
    Hi ladies! I was just wondering if anyone had the Maternit21 test done and had a different result at their anatomy scan? I've heard of it's a boy it's pretty much 100% sure but for girls sometimes they miss the Y chromosome in the blood. Just curious!
    That is very unlikely.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    I've never ever heard of the maternit21 test being wrong id trust that over the anatomy scan since depending on babies cooperation and angle the view can be seen incorrectly 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DNA doesn't lie. In any case, you can always wait to see if both are the same.

Mine was correct 100% on both. I'd be shocked if I had a girl at birth. I mean we already got the 3D ultrasound of the manhood :lol:
  • Options
    I did the Maternity21 with my twin girls 2 years ago, and it was accurate. They are identical, so they could tell the gender.

This time, my doctor did panorama and do not have the results back yet.

Ticker/Siggy Warning:  Children and losses mentioned

TTC #1 since 7/2011
    ME: 37  DH: 38
    SA-12/28/11-normal
    HSG-1/16/12-possible blocked left tube
    BFP#1---CP 7/9/12
    Hysteroscopy-8/9/12-blocked left tube for sure, proceeding with IUI#1
    IUI#1 (Gonal-F + trigger)=BFP#2 m/c @ 19w1d D&E 1/23/13
    IUI #2 (Gonal F + trigger)=BFP#3 EDD 1/6/14 TWINS!!!
    Identical girls born 11/17/13
    BFP#4 EDD 8/27/15 MMC at 7w6d

BFP#5 m/c at 6w

BFP#6 EDD 10/5/16  Going Strong!  It's a Girl!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    With >99.9% accuracy, its highly unlikely that the sex you are told is wrong.  Like others said, I would trust that more than I would trust the clear as day image I have from my anatomy scan, chromosomes don't lie.  
  • Options
    Nope we found out we're having a girl!
  • Options
    Mine was accurate, I trust it. I'm having a girl according to test.
  • Options
    This is really only an issue if you are pregnant with twins, because the test is simply looking for a Y chromosome. If your test says you are have a girl, then two girls it is. But, if the test says you are pregnant with a boy, then you are pregnant with two boys or a boy and a girl.
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
  • Options
    I did read - and i dont know how accurate this is - that if you had a boy previously, the test may give a false positive for a boy even if it's a girl. But again I don't know how true that is. 
    Met DH - 9/2003
    Dating - 9/18/2012
    Married - 8/16/2014
    NTNP - 7/2014-5/2015 
    TTC #1 - 5/2015 (CP October @ 4w2d)
    *PCOS/Hypothyroid/Ectopic Kidney/High DHEA-S*
    HSG - All clear, ectopic kidney didn't affect uterus (yay!)
    CT Adrenal Scan - no tumors! :D
    SA - sperm count excellent, 2% Morphology
    March/April IUI scheduled -  surprise BFP w/ help of Progesterone - 3/18/2016
    Beta #1 @ 11dpo - 45.7 #2 @ 14dpo - 163 #3 @ 18dpo - 997 #4 @ 21dpo - 3799 :D
    EDD 12/1 based on O, 11/28 per Ob/Gyn (but he's wrong lol).

*TEAM BLUE!*

BabyFruit Ticker

Image result for funny i hate football memes

• Options
    I did read - and i dont know how accurate this is - that if you had a boy previously, the test may give a false positive for a boy even if it's a girl. But again I don't know how true that is. 
    If it does happen, it is very very rare and only if the pregnancies are very close together.  
  • Options
    It was right but nurse told me someone else's results is all. They are really accurate my OB had said. Could be a small chance I guess. :)
  • Options
    My OB said there is a chance of error in any part of the test. It is a very very small chance, but it is there. That goes for the other chromosomal abnormalities that it tests for as well. It is not 100% accurate and therefore if you get a positive result on something detrimental to the baby they still do an amnio or cvs and other testing to confirm it. Also, the test has not been used long enough to really get a perfect percentage of failure rate. It has happened, so yes it is possible. Maybe in a decade of widespread use they might have accurate statistics as to exactly how accurate it is over a wider sample and time frame. That being said, I would trust that the odds are very far in favor of it being correct.
  • Options
    My doctor and the us tech said that the blood work is more accurate than the us. My blood work said boy, then the penis on the us said boy. If it makes you feel better we didn't announce what we were having until the sex us. 
  • Options
    Just chiming in here for those who may discover this thread in a google search...

We were told we were having a boy based on Maternit21 results. At our 20 week anatomy scan we learned we were actually having a girl. (And 20 weeks later she was still a girl!)  Sequenom (the company that makes Maternit21) offered up very little as a reason for the possible discrepancy—they wouldn't even admit to the potential for human error. 

After digging in to the info about the test a little more, my doctor and I discovered that the sex chromosomes/gender portion of the test is tested in a different way from the other chromosomal tests and is a newer addition to the set of info that is relayed to the patient. My doctor also had a few other patients who had abnormalities with this portion of the test and those turned out to be non-issues. 

In summary, yes—overall, it's a very accurate test and yes—it's possible to have the gender results be inaccurate. 

With my next pregnancy, I'd still feel very confident with the nearly all of what Maternit21 screens for but we would wait til the 20 week scan to confirm gender.

• Options
    Them little boys are something so special I thought I wanted a girl with my first but quickly learned that baby boy had my heart I’m now 14 weeks pregnant with a little girl and I’m scared to death 😂
  • Options
    sadiemoonsadiemoon Just Joined
    I'm here and asked the question because I have two girls and wanted a boy and can't believe the test came back saying boy! Don't want any surprises later on! Lol
  • Options
    Oh my goodness! I know I should probably stop holding on to the little hope I have left but I just feel in my gut that this baby is a girl even though the test said boy.