Preemies

Sitting

My boys turn 7 months on the 3rd, born 6weeks early so their corrected age will be 5.5 months. I know since they're preemies some milestones will take longer for them to achieve. So far they have been pretty good with milestones except sitting on their own.

They sit on their own for a few seconds, 1 minute tops. Or if they dont notice that im not helping them such as sitting behind them without them leaning on me or me holding onto them.

Is your baby sitting on their own yet? How long did it take/how old? How early was your baby born? 

TIA!

Re: Sitting

• If I recall correctly, the milestones for sitting are between 4-7 months.  If your babies are 5.5 adjusted they are well within their timeframe to hit this marker.  Also, if they are sitting for up to a minute without assistance, I don't think there's anything to worry about.  DS was also a preemie and he began sitting unassisted for longer periods of time (a few minutes at a time) around 7 months.  They'll get there, sounds like they're very close already.  DS took a while to hit some milestones, he's almost 3 now and incredibly coordinated, very fast and strong for his tiny little size.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker     

• @DiFazette thanks for answering! I just want them to sit because twin A has a flat head on his right side & dont want it to get worse. I dont want to push them on doing things but this is something i would like just so he wont need a helmet. Thank you for keeping me positive :smile: 
  • Loading the player...
  • You need to call early intervention. Here it's free. We have a 6 month old. Adjusted 5 mos. We have s physical therapist helping us work in the sitting goal. We have a flat spot too. 
  • vibarra27vibarra27 member
    edited April 2016
    @Knottie1442268460 i already have them set up in a program that helps if they find it necessary. @ 6 months they did an evaluation & they were fine. they get another @ 9 months in June. If they aren't sitting by then they will definitely help my boys
  • vibarra27 said:
    @Knottie1442268460 i already have them set up in a program that helps if they find it necessary. @ 6 months they did an evaluating & their were fine. they get another @ 9 months in June. Ago of they aren't sitting by then they will definitely help my boys
    What?  Why would she need EI when her children are still well within their timeframe to hit a milestone and OP said they are sitting unassisted for short amounts of time already.  Seems like an overreaction to me.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker     

• I agree with pp. The twins timeframe seems reasonable. All children are different, especially with preemies. Telling parents that they need to get their children evaluated is overstepping boundaries and an overreaction in my opinion.
  • vibarra27vibarra27 member
    edited April 2016
    I just wanted to know around how many months other preemies started sitting. Im not worried about them just that i dont want Twin As flathead to get worse. & i have the resourses if i need them. I was told from the beginning that it may take them longer with some milestones. Just curious about other babies.
  • My 25 weeker was sitting at 9 months and walking at 16. Don't worry unless they aren't meeting their milestones based on their corrected age.
  • My 25 weeker was sitting at 9 months and walking at 16. Don't worry unless they aren't meeting their milestones based on their corrected age.
    Thanks!
  • I know this a little late but my 31 weeker didn't sit on his own until he was 8 months 6 adjusted and then shortly after started crawling and walked at 13mo  11 adjusted! All babies are different and I know plenty of other babies who didn't sit until 6 months regular I work in a daycare two days a week and there is such a wide range! 
  • @killysmum23 its never too late to respond! Thanks! I feel much better. They both have been trying to sit up on their own when theyre laying flat on their backs on the floor. I know they want to sit. I think them being on the tinier side (5th & 4th percentile) has somewhat to do it woth it. they probably need to gain more strength. They'll be 8 months May 3rd so we'll see how they keep doing. :smile: 
  • Isaac turned 7 months just a few days ago on the 21st, he was born at 33 weeks. He just started sitting up last week! He needs some help but he's getting there and can sit with no help for a minuteish. His OT we see says that's good and normal!
  • @MaryJoyce1217 thats awesome!  Hes being a big boy!

The other day one of my sons was on my lap sitting unassisted & he lost his balance, went back, but sat right back up without my help! So im hoping they get their soon.
  • My son was is a tiny preemie too always rode in the 2nd percentile I always felt it had something to do with it as well:) what helped my son with sitting was i would support his back with his boppy and place a toy in front of him to help him balance his back and focus forward a little to keep it. it worked great for us and within a few weeks he gained the strength to sit and was recomened by some dr that have worked with him. Just an idea ;)
  • @kellysmum23 yes ive been doing that. Ive also been sitting on the floor with them inbetween my legs helping them keep balance. sometimes it hard to do it every day since i have 2 babys & a 5 yr old so when theyre on the boppy pillow sometimes they just roll over & lay down lol. Theyre "like no way am i sitting!" haha

Thanks!
  • Haha sounds like you have your hands full  sure they are a blast! Definitely sounds like they are right there :)