February 2016 Moms
Options

Rice Cereal

When did you introduce rice cereal to your LO mine is 6weeks today? My pediatrician recommends 8 weeks but my dad gave it to me around 6 weeks.

Re: Rice Cereal

• Options
    Your pediatrician recommends 8 weeks?!? Are you sure you didn't misunderstand that? If not, run far away. 

The AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) recommends no earlier than 4-6 MONTHS, with most pediatricians recommending 6 months for most infants. 

We will not be starting solids until 6 months, at the recommendation of our pediatrician. We will also be skipping rice cereal altogether, also at the recommendation of our pediatrician (who has been in practice for a long time) and other sources. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    AchaeAchae member
    We are not doing rice cereal at all, I'll be following baby led weaning and introducing solids when he is ready. Does your LO have reflux? Otherwise why does your pedi recommend it? Babies do not have the ability to push solids down their throat until they are much older is my understanding. 
  • Options
    I introduced rice cereal mixed in with his formula bottle, because he has acid reflux. My LO was 5 weeks when I started giving him rice cereal, but it's a VERY small amount and only because my doctor instructed me to do so for the reflux.
  • Options
    With my first 3 kids I started around 2-3 months. I will likely do the same with this one too. I start with a very small amount and mix it so it is very thin and then gradually thicken it up.

• Options
    My ped said we can do like 1/2 a teaspoon in his milk for that. Guess I should've been more specific  :/
  • Options
    Unless your baby has reflux, he shouldn't have cereal. If that's not the case, seriously get a new doctor. We pretty much did baby led weaning. I did buy a can of rice cereal to have on hand in case something needed a little thickening. I almost never used it.

• Options
    I've never heard of this- I'm shocked there are Peds suggesting rice cereal at all... Let alone before four months (which is early).  I thought the weeks was mis-typed and OP meant months. We will start solids around six months and will either start with sweet potato, avocado, or maybe baby oatmeal. But maybe treating reflux with rice cereal is just something I haven't heard of so don't know anything about?
  • Options
    My son is almost 4 months old and we have been putting a little in his night bottle. He just started sleeping through the night and does have reflux (bad enough that it cause weight gain issues) our pedi  recommended it.... She is one of the best pedi in my state...
  • Options
    We will not be starting solids until after 6 months. There is so much evidence that their guts are not ready for solid food before that time frame and it can have long term effects in their digestive system. I know it is sometimes recommended for reflux, and my children have never suffered from reflux so I have no experience with it in that situation.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    For reflux we put a rolled up receiving blanket under one end of the bassinet to tilt it a few inches and it really helped her. The bassinet just sits on a table - obviously it needs to be very stable so it can't tip over.
  • Options
    Lurking momma from March.  My 2 year old has never had it.  Totally unnecessary unless your LO has a swallowing disorder that requires a thicker texture.  If your LO is having reflux and you're nursing, you might try cutting out dairy or other allergens.  If you're EFF then it might be good thing to add the thicker texture.  I'm not as familiar with EFF.

• Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    Not planning on using it at all. 
  • Options
    Had LO's 4 month checkup the other day. Ped. Says it's ok to introduce some baby cereal. Anybody else starting this? Not even sure where to begin with what to buy. Doctor recommended 1 tablespoon of powder mixed with formula In a bowl and to make it really liquidy. I am afraid to make him constipated and don't want him to have any negative effects from cereal. 
  • Options
    I don't think it's necessary. My doctors in Canada don't recommend it at all. I'd just wait until 6 months and introduce something fresh and nutritious. 
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• Options
    At DD's 2 month appt, Ped said since she is so far off the growth chart DD will probably be ready for cereal at 4 months. Since we are getting really close to that appt we will see how she is in comparison to the growth charts and go from there. She did mention that the APA no longer recommends rice cereal as first solids since during the 50s arsenic was used as a pesticide in rice fields. She said oatmeal or barley is better. 

• Options
    @babyseaturtles my LO is 3rd percentile for weight so he's not off the charts LOL but she said this my bulk him up a little. I'm not too worried about his size, I think he's fine! I did pick up oatmeal yesterday instead of the rice so that is good to know! 
  • Options
    I said this above, too, but we won't be doing any solids until 6 mos, and will skip rice cereal altogether. It has no nutritional value, IMO. DD1 was very small (1-3%ile on ht/wt through at least a year), and our pedi didn't recommend we start solids earlier or anything. 

• Options
    @VitaLuna what type of foods did you do in the beginning?
  • Options
    @oxsarah7ox DD1s first food was avocado. We didn't really do many purées (mostly because I was too lazy, ha!), but took soft or steamed fruits and veggies and smashed them up with a fork, then fed them like that. I tried to do more veggies than fruit, just because of the sugar content. I briefly tried BLW, but in the end I wasn't comfortable with it.