Cloth Diapering

Baby shower disposables...

Im looking for suggestions - most of the baby shower guests know we're doing cloth but there are a few who either

1) disagree on a "moral" level - "you're forcing your baby to have more diaper rashes"
2) dont think we can do it
3) just dont know that we're doing cloth

Im sure Im not the first with this 'issue.'  Honestly, a few disposables will probably be nice to have on hand anyway in a pinch - didn't get the laundry done, baby has a yeast rash, etc.  What Im worried about is that I don't want person #3 (referencing above) to feel bad and I have some very tactless people in my life. I can just see it now - "Didnt you know they were doing cloth diapers?!"  

When I open any gifts, I always try to comment on how great they are.  On the disposable diaper side, Im planning on saying just what I did above - that sometimes disposables will definitely come in handy.  Does that sound reasonable or like total BS to people? I dont want any hurt feelings, I know diapers are expensive and Im just so grateful that people even come to the party!

Re: Baby shower disposables...

• I went to a work shower of a parent who was doing cloth diapers. The invitations said she was cloth diapering near the registry info. Still, one team of people didn't pay attention, and got her a huge box of disposables. She put on a good face and thanked them for their generous gift. She didn't overdo it or sound fake about it, and I think that helped. She didn't even say, "Oh these will be great when my cloth diapers are dirty." She just thanked them, looked the box over a little while she smiled, and went on to the next gift. I think treating it like any other gift she received, and not going over the top or brushing by it helped. 

If someone else is impolite and makes a comment about someone else's gift to you, you could just say a quick and simple comment about how everyone needs extra diapers, and these are great.
  • ^wss! If you get them, treat it like any other gift. If it comes with a snarky comment, use your poker face to say "always good to have extras around".

I was excited about cloth, so all my friends knew (they'd seen me playing with them and laying them out), but my stepmom (host) mentioned when getting rsvps that we're doing cloth, just to reinforce it. A recent work shower it was posted at the top of her list *using cloth, so she doesn't need diapers/wipes*. 

If if you don't want them, or end up with too many, take them where that brand is sold (walmart, grocery store, etc) and ask for store credit. Just be honest that it was a gift and you don't use them-most stores are great that way. I returned all the J&J bath products I got like that, because i don't like them.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree, treat them like any other gift.  You can either use them, exchange them, or donate them - just don't telo the guests, or anyone else, that you did anything but use them.  You can even save them and regift them to someone who is using sposies.  

Even though ds's daycare accepted cloth diapers, have some sposies there was a plus.  They put him in a sposie whenever they did arts/crafts with paint to prevent damage to the cloth diapers as they usually stripped the younger children down to just the diaper before beginning.  I kept a stash of sposies there for that purpose and as backup in case he went through more diapers than anticipated

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • We used the disposables we were gifted until our OS diapers fit DS. (This time, we'll have a newborn stash.) We took the extras and donated them, along with some baby bath products/diaper creams we knew we wouldn't use. Our local women's shelter was really excited to get the donations; we'll do the same thing with extras from this LO. 
  • No need to comment on what you'll use them for. Just be appreciative as you would any other gift! I still have an unopened box of size 1 diapers and 1/3 a small package of size 1 diapers from my baby shower. My daughter wears them once a week when she goes to daycare, so they're lasting a super long time. You never know, you may use them at some point.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • skelly70 said:
     Our local women's shelter was really excited to get the donations; we'll do the same thing with extras from this LO. 
    SERIOUSLY LOVE THIS!  :smiley:   Thanks!  

And I'm definitely not dreading having some disposables around :)  Just more concerned about the potential for snarky comments than anything, I guess.  I have a few "Know it all - must put other people in their place" coworkers who will absolutely speak up if given the chance.  The info about daycares, craft time, etc should give me plenty of ammo if needed to silence them!
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    If people asked or if it was brought up, I said I was/am doing cloth and some people decided to give me disposable diapers anyway. They are nice to have on hand for the exact reasons you gave. We used the disposable newborns until the nasty poops were gone. 
  • My question is about your first bullet point, do some people believe that cloth diapers necessarily cause more rashes? We've been cloth diapering for 5 months and never had one diaper rash.
  • My question is about your first bullet point, do some people believe that cloth diapers necessarily cause more rashes? We've been cloth diapering for 5 months and never had one diaper rash.
    Yes, unfortunately, some people do believe cloth causes more rashes.  It's true for some kids whose skin is just that sensitive to being wet, however, not true for most.  Pip has been in cloth for 3 years and has only had 3-4 rashes that needed attention - all due to acidic poop or stomach bug and he would have gotten them regardless of diaper type.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • Yup, I hear that constantly from people - some going so far as to tell me that Im being selfish and sacrificing my babys comfort.
  • You know what is funny about that? Cloth diapers are soft and cushy! I'd much rather put that in my baby's most sensitive areas as opposed to chemical filled paper diapers. 

We we bought flips disposable inserts to take on a trip with flips covers once and dd2 wouldn't have it. She demanded her cushy fitteds. Lol

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • I'd try to get a variety of sizes with the gift dipes. We were so happy with disposable during a recent diarrhea flu. The buns got red in the cloth from the poo.