July 2015 Moms

Crawling

Any little ones out there not crawling yet? My little guy seems to be a late bloomer for most milestones so far including crawling. He will be 9 months on 4/7 and I think he is still a ways off. Trying to encourage by moving toys just out if his reach and helping to prop him up on all fours but so far he will just lunge forward and face plant. He has never been a fan of tummy time so I'm sure that has contributed. Just curious if anyone is in the same boat. Seems like all the other LO around his age are crawling by now. Just curious if any other Los are still working on it. Anyone have any pointers on how to help him along?

Re: Crawling

• AKOL0AKOL0 member
    We had to pull our daughter to her knees and then she had it by a week. However, she'll get on her hands and knees and then lunge herself forward instead of using her hands to crawl. 

I wouldn't really worry though. It is true that some babies never crawl. It sounds like you are doing the right things at helping. 
  • My daughter has no interest and I am totally ok with that... I know once she starts moving she will never stop, so I'm enjoying it while it lasts!  Unless the doctors tells me to worry I am just going to keep enjoying, lol 
  • Loading the player...
  • Our daughte is 9 1/2 months and isn't crawling yet. She does the lunging forward thing. There are exercises and that you can do to help them but I wouldn't worry too much. 9 months is usually when babies crawl according to our occupational therapist. 
  • My LO just started crawling yesterday. She had practiced for a month and I swore she just may never crawl bc she did the same thing over and over again lol Then out of no where saw my dad'a phone on the ground and crawled to it. So weird and unexpected! It's like it just clicked. I wouldn't worry at all. In fact, I was enjoying the no crawling bc now I'm all over the place following her and worried what she'll find and put in her mouth!
  • Technically any movement that gets baby from point A to point B is considered crawling, this includes scooting, rolling or transitional hands and knees movement.

My LO hated tummy time until just recently so is still trying to figure out movements that way, she will be 9 months on 4/14 (where does the time go?!!). She does however scoot or roll very efficiently all around the floor to her desired destination. 

All babies are are different, I know she will get the movements soon enough but I am not impatient about her reaching this milestone. Like other people said, the minute she figures it out she will never sit still! 

I would say say just encourage him by putting toys out of reach and giving him lots of time on the floor. Good luck and sounds like your LO is right on track!

• When my son was a baby he didn't crawl until almost 10 months old. He was totally fine! He didn't walk until 15 months but when he did he could run like a week later. Some babies just wait until they feel confident. I used to worry about everything with him but he is now almost 7 years old and perfectly fine. Try not to stress, they all do it in their own time.
  • DS just started "crawling" last week at 8.5 months (he's really bad at it), but PPs are correct that crawling is technically defined as moving from one place to another. My pediatrician doesn't even count it as a major mileston, since some babies never really crawl.

DS will crawl if there's something out of his reach that he wants, but he prefers roll around and sit up. He is WAYYY more interested in standing...he tries to pull himself up on everything that he can, and even tries to get to a standing position from sitting. DH never really crawled either, so I'm just guessing that DS is the same way.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Instead of crawling in the traditional sense, my daughter rolls onto her back and pushes herself with her feet. It's pretty funny, actually.
    Read about my motherhood journey and more at http://hallidaynelson.com/

TTGP July Siggy Challenge: Summer Fails
  • My son has been scooting himself backwards and getting up on hands and knees for about 3 weeks now but literally 2 days ago he started I guess army crawling forward. He is super close to "actual" crawling and I am not ready. He will be 8 months on the 5th. I wouldnt be worried, we didnt do anything special or show him anything, just a lot of tummy time on his big play mat. We have all hardwood floors too so idk if they makes any difference or not.
  • Every baby is different. My son hated tummy time and now that he can move around he doesn't have to do it lol. He started with the lunging forward then went to rolling around he would roll to his belly turn his body to the direction he needed to roll in lol. Then he tried crawling but it was more like an army crawl to all of a sudden just boom crawled while we were out at dinner he was with grandma, grandpa and aunty they sent us a video.

I miss the no crawling he's literally everywhere and if I try to block him he has found a way around or over the obsticle lol. My cousins baby is not crawling and is two weeks older than him so it's all dependant on the baby. There's nothing wrong with it and you're doing all you can by giving your baby the opportunities they need. We helped a bit when he wanted to move and now he doesn't stop including getting to his feet and moving from thing to thing. You're in more trouble once they start moving around haha. 

Some babies skip crawling all together. You're doing great mommas.
  • KAR8706 said:
    My son has been scooting himself backwards and getting up on hands and knees for about 3 weeks now but literally 2 days ago he started I guess army crawling forward. He is super close to "actual" crawling and I am not ready. He will be 8 months on the 5th. I wouldnt be worried, we didnt do anything special or show him anything, just a lot of tummy time on his big play mat. We have all hardwood floors too so idk if they makes any difference or not.
    My baby boy also army crawls, and we have wood floors throughout the house and in the office room it's carpet and we noticed that in the office room he gets up on 4 and kind of tries to crawl in 4, it might be that the hard wood floors are a bit slippery lol but I'm not sure. Either way once I heard each baby is different even in the way they crawl! When they are ready they will start!