February 2016 Moms

Sleep through the night?

We wake up my 5 week old every 4 hours at night to feed (he feeds every 3 hrs or by demand during the day) - when can we stop waking him up during the night to feed him?

Re: Sleep through the night?

• At our two week appointment, our son had surpassed his birth weight and was gaining well so the doctor told us we no longer had to wake him over night. Maybe check with your pediatrician?
  • I don't know.. But I'm seriously jelly of all these posts about waking your baby to feed.. I'd kill to not have to wake up still every couple hours when my LO is hungry   :|
    Married: 8/25/12
    Started TTC: 1/1/14
    BFP: 6/1/15
    Baby Girl Athena Born: 2/7/16

• Loading the player...
  • We are still supposed to wake our little guy if he sleeps more than 5-6 hours at a time, but he rarely sleeps more than 4 so we haven't had to. He's 4 weeks. We have an appointment today so maybe we'll get an update on that.
  • smn14smn14 member
    My midwife said at 10 days not to wake her to feed as she was gaining weight well. Our LO also clusters every evening before bed which fills her before sleep which helps. Would love 5-6 hours tho! I'm counting a long sleep as 3 and occasionally 4 hours at the moment (4 weeks old)! 
  • Same as pps, we were told to stop once she passed her birth weight at her 2 week appointment so ask your pediatrician 
  • My paw paw has always told Us to never wake a sleeping baby. That when they are hungry they will let you know. My zoey girl actually slept 6 hours last night !!! She normally eats every 4 during the day. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My LO is just over 6 weeks, and for the last 4 nights has slept 5-6 hours in a row - truly feels like a miracle! It may just be a fluke, but whatever :) And our pediatrician gave us the go ahead last week to let him wake us when he's ready to feed, based on weight gain. Definitely check with yours - good luck!
  • DD slept 6 hours a few nights ago. I was half freaking out and half rejoicing. I was also REALLY full of milk and hurting so I went ahead and woke her up. It was a one time occurrence and I didn't want to wake her up but mama needed some relief.

• DD slept 6 hours a few nights ago. I was half freaking out and half rejoicing. I was also REALLY full of milk and hurting so I went ahead and woke her up. It was a one time occurrence and I didn't want to wake her up but mama needed some relief.
    I've had that a couple times and she woke up right when I was thinking it was unbearable. Last night she was right at 8 hours and my right boob was so full I had to hold it in my hand when I walked around. And I had already leaked a ton because my sheet was wet. I ended up pumping a full 5 oz from that side and then she woke up so it actually worked out well. 
  • Definitely check with your pediatrician because it just depends on the child, weight gain, etc. I was just given the green light to let LO sleep at his 1 mth appointment. 
  • Agreed with PP. I've heard it's both surpassing birth weight and 7 lbs. After that, you can move to demand feeding.

Our pediatrician told us to switch to feeding on demand on day 4. It's been great!
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    At two weeks, my pediatrician said we didn't have to wake her to feed (but we never did anyway). Until two nights ago, she was waking up every 3 hours anyway. The last two days, she's slept 6+ hours and she's 4 weeks old. 
  • I started the BabyWise eat/wake/sleep schedule for my 7 week old yesterday. She has been in the habit of going down between 9:30 and 10:30 but I haven't been able to squeeze all the feedings in before then. In an effort to get her to sleep through the night, I woke her to feed at 11:30pm to have her last feeding so she hopefully won't wake at 3am. I have no idea how you ladies did it. After diaper change and blowing cold air on her face, she simply couldn't stay awake to nurse longer than 10 minutes. I hope it was enough because I was beginning to fear for my nipple's safety ;) Here's to hoping to get all the feedings in so my last one can be at 10:30pm tomorrow!
  • middy411 said:
    I started the BabyWise eat/wake/sleep schedule for my 7 week old yesterday. She has been in the habit of going down between 9:30 and 10:30 but I haven't been able to squeeze all the feedings in before then. In an effort to get her to sleep through the night, I woke her to feed at 11:30pm to have her last feeding so she hopefully won't wake at 3am. I have no idea how you ladies did it. After diaper change and blowing cold air on her face, she simply couldn't stay awake to nurse longer than 10 minutes. I hope it was enough because I was beginning to fear for my nipple's safety ;) Here's to hoping to get all the feedings in so my last one can be at 10:30pm tomorrow!
    How many feedings does the program suggest to have? I feel like no matter what I try he's constantly on a 8,11,1,3,6 schedule. I haven't slept longer than 3 hours since he was born! So jealous of all the ladies with good sleepers.
  • @Cherylaf83 at 7-10 weeks I believe it says 7 feedings. But those feedings are to be between 6:30am and 11:00pm if you want the baby to sleep through the night. I haven't been able to squeeze all of the feedings in and I'm usually one short. she was so sleepy she barely ate when I woke her last night and still woke at 4am anyways. So I don't think I'll be waking her if I'm a feeding short anymore. It's hard work! I enjoyed her better when I was just feeding on demand but I was getting jealous of all the babies sleeping through the night when I was stuck on 3 and 4 hour stretches. Hopefully it will get easier to squeeze all the feedings in and we can work on extending her long nighttime stretch. Right now we are around 7,10,12,4,6,9 but after the last eat/play/sleep cycle she doesn't wake up again (for 11pm late night feed) so she ends up waking up in the middle of the night usually 2-3am. It's not so bad... But a full night of sleep would make me a new woman.