Breastfeeding

Wake up to burp a newborn?

so I'm now the proud mother of a 27 hour old baby. Pardon spelling erros but i'm trying to type this over her head and out of the corner of my eye. She keeps falling asleep on the nipple and is it better to just let her sleep or should I wake her up to burp her? If i don't burp her, she wakes up super cranky a little bit later. 

Re: Wake up to burp a newborn?

• Now I could be wrong but usually you want to keep newborns awake while feeding to make sure they're actually getting fed enough. So unless it seems like she's actually done eating I'd wake her up and burp her and then nurse her some more. 
  • Congrats! Yes, they say to try to wake them if they fall asleep nursing. I'd burp her then switch sides so that she eats from both. Hopefully finishing the one side first.

And in my experience when we'd side nurse and I let him fall asleep without burping (around 8 weeks), when he woke up he'd spew partially digested milk. So, so nasty smelling. And I'm sure he was uncomfortable too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Congrats!!! I know you're worn out and just wanna sleep but try to keep her awake to nurse from both sides until your milk supply regulates, probably around 3 or 4 weeks. My son is 5 weeks but for the first couple weeks, he was so tired that he didn't want to wake up for the second side. I would change his diaper, pissed him off but woke him up haha. LO will lose weight until your milk comes in, in a couple more days, and this is completely normal. And I'm sure they told you in the hospital that you need to feed every 3 to 4 hrs, regardless if they're sleeping. Also, with my daughter and now my son, both of them got so used to the patting on their backs from burping that they both associate it with falling asleep.
  • klirwin82 said:
    Congrats! Yes, they say to try to wake them if they fall asleep nursing. I'd burp her then switch sides so that she eats from both. Hopefully finishing the one side first.

And in my experience when we'd side nurse and I let him fall asleep without burping (around 8 weeks), when he woke up he'd spew partially digested milk. So, so nasty smelling. And I'm sure he was uncomfortable too.
    All of this. DS is 15 weeks (it flys by!) and we still have this issue from time to time. 

Congrats!! 
  • I never woke my baby when he'd fall asleep nursing and that was a huge mistake, not just because he wouldn't get full, but because I wouldn't put him down awake so he could learn to fall asleep without sucking on anything.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• If she is breastfed- no, let her sleep.  You don't need to burp a breastfed baby.  Enjoy being able to get your baby to sleep! 
    TTC since 2010.
    IF since 2011.
    MTHFR gene, Endo
    Clomid, Letrozole, Gonal-F, Ovidrel, Progesterone.
    14 IUI. 8 Single insemination cycles, 6 doubles.
    2 early losses.
    Oct. 6, 2013- BFP!