December 2015 Moms

Serious nap help!

DD has been an absolute monster lately with nap time. No matter when I put her down 1hr,1.5,2hr after being awake she fights it like no other. Kicking, screaming, fighting until the death. This can go on for 15minutes or so until she falls asleep. 
Its making me insane and dreading next nap time. I feel like I'm restraining and forcing her to nap but I know she needs it. I can't go on like this for another 9 months I am going to pull my hair out. Looking for tips/tricks to help us both or reassurance. 

Re: Serious nap help!

• This is us too. We cannot get her to nap and she ends up very cranky. Even when we do get her down it doesn't last long. We used to get long naps in the swing but it seems she's hip to us now and starts crying the moment we put her in it. Would love to hear suggestions as well. And how long do you let them cry/fuss before giving up? I have a really hard time listening to her upset and I'm afraid I'm giving in too quickly.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • laurabwalkerlaurabwalker member
    edited March 2016
    This has also started happening to me this week, the screaming! The back arching! I have to hold her like I'm restraining her. I'm just commiserating with you, I also dread it. It's worse as the day goes on and at night it's becoming a total nightmare. Gah me and baby have so many sleep issues.
  • Loading the player...
  • Like honestly I feel like it's making me crazy, and I get frustrated and want to just give up. I can't do this every day 3/4 times a day. 
    edited March 2016
    I know me too :((( I gave up yesterday two times and she was up for 9 hours straight and took me two hours to get her to bed, and then she only slept 3 hours for her longest sleep. It's making me crazy
    edit I give up after 30 minutes. I used ear plugs because it was loud. As soon as I stop she is smiling and happy, so I knwo she's not
    in pain etc
  • It may not be ideal, but I lay with DD in bed and cuddle her until she's asleep. And I try my hardest to keep the soother in her mouth. Some days she doesn't fight much and others it takes me 30 minutes to get her to sleep and she wakes up 30 minutes later. 
  • maybe it's a phase :( 
  • kdoak2015kdoak2015 member
    edited March 2016
    It may not be ideal, but I lay with DD in bed and cuddle her until she's asleep. And I try my hardest to keep the soother in her mouth. Some days she doesn't fight much and others it takes me 30 minutes to get her to sleep and she wakes up 30 minutes later. 
    I rock her in bed, BF her, and usually stay the entire nap. She fights the soother and flails around like a crazy person lol. Urg I hope it's a phase because i legit am dreading every nap. 
  • I hope it's a phase. All my sure bet nap spots are failing. I took her for an hour long stroller ride this weekend and she napped for a half hour of it after majorly fighting it, and that was my best nap. I'm able to rock her to sleep and put her in her crib, but she wakes up 5-20 minutes later freaking out. I know she's tired, but she just refuses to sleep. Luckily she's a pretty good sleeper at night usually... Although we just got through a 3-day stretch where she woke EVERY hour, ugh. Now it's back to normal.

The frustrating thing is she will nap at daycare. I try all the things they say they do and it doesn't work for me. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We're also on the nap fighting struggle bus! Sometimes I can walk her around with a pacifier in her mouth and she'll finally sleep, but if I try to put her in the crib after she's fallen asleep, she immediately wakes up. She'll nap if I take her for a walk in the stroller or do chores with her in the Boba carrier, which is good, but I want her to be able to nap in her crib! She's only done so already handful of times.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I have given up on naps in the crib. Cole did it once and I was so amazed I basically wandered aimlessly through the house until he woke up. He sleeps where he sleeps. 
  • This sweet little nugget only naps on mama (well OCCASIONALLY in the car seat).  And I don't DARE take that elephant lovey out of her mouth or quit rocking! She's either got to be in the Kinderpack/other baby carrier or on my lap. No swing, no crib, not even in the cosleeper (even though she'll sleep for 12 hours straight in there at night). Even with the perfect circumstances half the time she fights the nap like a crazed maniac. I just keep rocking or walking, keep the lovey or paci in her mouth & stick it out. An overtired baby is inconsolable in our house. I've given up on doing housework during the day. I envy those of you that even have the option of putting baby "down" for a nap. Oh well, I'll just enjoy the cuddles & clean up after she goes to bed. Sorry mama no help from me, just keep at it & hope it's a phase. You COULD try going 2.5-3 hours of awake time, maybe she's fighting it because she's just not ready to go down after an hour or so. They might be getting to the age where they take one less nap a day.... 
    I love holding her I just hate the crying and hate the fact that I feel like I'm constricting her or holding her against her will. I'd love to keep her awake longer but she looks absolutely exhausted at around 1.5hours. Maybe I'll try a bit longer tomorrow and see how that works.
  • jenEPjenEP member
    You are not alone. I always say that putting DD to sleep is like wrestling a fish. She's so wiggly and hard to hold onto! Our naps are hit and miss. I generally don't give up until she is asleep because otherwise keeps fussing (or crying bloody murder) until she is asleep. She won't stay awake happy for more than 1.5 hours. I aim for one nap in her crib per day and the rest I let happen on me, in the ergo, or in the car. Basically whatever it takes to get some decent sleep. I also have my husband put her down for some naps on the weekends so I get a break. 

To get her down, I swaddle, hold her on my shoulder and pat her back fairly hard while swaying back and forth or bouncing on an exercise ball. I do it in a dark room with a noise machine. This seems to work most of the time, but it can take up to 20 minutes. I can almost always get her to sleep, but later in the day she tends to wake up as soon as I put her down. Those are the naps that happen on me while I catch up on Netflix. 
  • edited March 2016
    This sweet little nugget only naps on mama (well OCCASIONALLY in the car seat).  And I don't DARE take that elephant lovey out of her mouth or quit rocking! She's either got to be in the Kinderpack/other baby carrier or on my lap. No swing, no crib, not even in the cosleeper (even though she'll sleep for 12 hours straight in there at night). Even with the perfect circumstances half the time she fights the nap like a crazed maniac. I just keep rocking or walking, keep the lovey or paci in her mouth & stick it out. An overtired baby is inconsolable in our house. I've given up on doing housework during the day. I envy those of you that even have the option of putting baby "down" for a nap. Oh well, I'll just enjoy the cuddles & clean up after she goes to bed. Sorry mama no help from me, just keep at it & hope it's a phase. You COULD try going 2.5-3 hours of awake time, maybe she's fighting it because she's just not ready to go down after an hour or so. They might be getting to the age where they take one less nap a day.... 
    My baby carrier is the only way I'm getting any housework done these days!
    ETA as a bonus DD gets a nap.
  • It is rare my LO falls asleep before the 2 hour mark but its rarely past it. When I know he's really tired or his last nap wasn't long I start trying to put him to sleep at 1 hr and 40 mins. But I never force him. If he fights it, I simply hold him upright and bounce him in front of cartoons for another 5 mins or so then try again. It sounds like you've tried everything in the book so forgive me so suggesting this. When my LO doesn't fall asleep nursing or the time doesn't coincide, I simple put my LO in my lap in the nursery glider and blast R&B on my cell like Sam Smith and sing whisper in his ear and zero fight 90% of the time if he's ready. I put my arms around him and he sits contently for about 10 mins then he's out. Matter of fact he now associates that with nap time so its easier for him to go down. I say it because I never thought it could be that simple for a baby like mine. It just accidentally worked one day lol. Goodluck!

@laurabwalker 9 hrs omg! I am so sorry!
  • DD is starting to scream the MILLISECOND I stop moving or walking around, while carrying her a certain way. Today I latched her cross cradle and walked around with her latched on and she couldn't cry because her mouth was busy!! It was so nice but hauling around a 17 lb baby most of the day is getting quite strenuous. I hope by the time she can sit up I can get a nice arm work out :sweat_smile: 
  • kdoak2015 said:
    This sweet little nugget only naps on mama (well OCCASIONALLY in the car seat).  And I don't DARE take that elephant lovey out of her mouth or quit rocking! She's either got to be in the Kinderpack/other baby carrier or on my lap. No swing, no crib, not even in the cosleeper (even though she'll sleep for 12 hours straight in there at night). Even with the perfect circumstances half the time she fights the nap like a crazed maniac. I just keep rocking or walking, keep the lovey or paci in her mouth & stick it out. An overtired baby is inconsolable in our house. I've given up on doing housework during the day. I envy those of you that even have the option of putting baby "down" for a nap. Oh well, I'll just enjoy the cuddles & clean up after she goes to bed. Sorry mama no help from me, just keep at it & hope it's a phase. You COULD try going 2.5-3 hours of awake time, maybe she's fighting it because she's just not ready to go down after an hour or so. They might be getting to the age where they take one less nap a day.... 
    I love holding her I just hate the crying and hate the fact that I feel like I'm constricting her or holding her against her will. I'd love to keep her awake longer but she looks absolutely exhausted at around 1.5hours. Maybe I'll try a bit longer tomorrow and see how that works.
    I can totally relate. I just want to ask her whyyyyy she's fighting it if she's so tired??!?!? I tried to rock her to sleep today & she was fighting it so I just gave up & ran to target really quick, hoping she'd fall asleep in the Kinderpack from walking around. Nope. She was fine for about 10 min, then started squirming around acting super tired, crying. I booked it out of there & she fell asleep in the car on the way home. So obviously she was tired 10 min before that when I tried to put her to sleep, she just didn't want to go to sleep without a fight I guess. I think sometimes they cry & squirm around for a bit to self soothe before they can fall asleep. Sorry you are going through it, mama! Hopefully she'll take a liking to nap time soon! 
  • I pretty much feel like I can't predict anything anymore. Yesterday DD took a 2 hour nap from 9-11, a 1 hour nap from 1-2, and then 2 20 minute naps in the late afternoon. Then she goes and sleeps from 8:30-2:30 in her pnp. The last 5 days we had family here and I had to hold her to get a nap in and I had to bed share each night. I just don't know anymore. What I do know is that 2 hour nap I took with her was glorious.
  • Same here, so unpredictable. She just had a four hour nap and now I'm up for the night in sure of it :(
  • I moved our swing into the nursery bc she was over stimulated everywhere else. I put her down, dry, fed & drowsy in the swing, with her lovey, turn on the white noise, the humidifier that is also a night light with different colors, draw the shades & leave the room. If she fusses I take her out, play, whatever, try again in 20 mins. Usually successful 2x a day but for at least 2 hrs. The rest of the day is cat naps in the carrier or car. 
    Good luck!! 
  • elbouelbou member
    kdoak2015 said:
    If this is the case, maybe she's not ready to start her day when you get her up/she wakes up in the morning. Perhaps a nap 30 mins after she gets up in the morning would work better?  GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

edited March 2016
    Went for a walk for 1 hour 45 mins today and she finally fell asleep lol (after the walk)
  • elbou said:
    kdoak2015 said:
    If this is the case, maybe she's not ready to start her day when you get her up/she wakes up in the morning. Perhaps a nap 30 mins after she gets up in the morning would work better?  GL

You may be onto something!! I'll keep an eye on her tomorrow AM!
  • DD is napping pretty well these days in her RNP. She wants to take her morning nap about an hour after waking up in the morning but if she's put back down she will generally go about 3 more hours of a morning nap and then afternoon is hit or miss but I don't worry as much bc her morning nap is so good. Now, I do let her fuss a little if I know she's tired and she won't give it up. I don't feel like this is CIO but I put her in the RNP if she's fighting and give 2 minutes. She will fuss pretty good but not scream. Then after 2 minutes of that she's worn herself out the rest of the way and will finally let me rock/nurse her to sleep and put her down for 1-2 hours. Yesterday she did this after being down for only 7 min so I let her fuss for 2 mins, picked her up and rocked her for literally 1 min and she let me put her down and slept for 2 hours. Now, If LO was screaming I would tend to her quicker but it's just a fussy cry. Maybe I'm a bad mom but it works for us...
  • dmendo01 said:
    DD is napping pretty well these days in her RNP. She wants to take her morning nap about an hour after waking up in the morning but if she's put back down she will generally go about 3 more hours of a morning nap and then afternoon is hit or miss but I don't worry as much bc her morning nap is so good. Now, I do let her fuss a little if I know she's tired and she won't give it up. I don't feel like this is CIO but I put her in the RNP if she's fighting and give 2 minutes. She will fuss pretty good but not scream. Then after 2 minutes of that she's worn herself out the rest of the way and will finally let me rock/nurse her to sleep and put her down for 1-2 hours. Yesterday she did this after being down for only 7 min so I let her fuss for 2 mins, picked her up and rocked her for literally 1 min and she let me put her down and slept for 2 hours. Now, If LO was screaming I would tend to her quicker but it's just a fussy cry. Maybe I'm a bad mom but it works for us...
    This mom thing is way to complicated!
  • I think fussing is fine! My issue is even if I can get her to sleep, she won't sleep more than 30-40 mins, so if I let her wake time drive the naps, all I literally do all day is try to get her to nap and I can't for sanity sake
  • elbouelbou member
    kdoak2015 said:
    elbou said:
    If this is the case, maybe she's not ready to start her day when you get her up/she wakes up in the morning. Perhaps a nap 30 mins after she gets up in the morning would work better?  GL

You may be onto something!! I'll keep an eye on her tomorrow AM!
    Any luck??

• elbou said:
    kdoak2015 said:
    If this is the case, maybe she's not ready to start her day when you get her up/she wakes up in the morning. Perhaps a nap 30 mins after she gets up in the morning would work better?  GL!
    I figured this out with DD. She wakes up around 6 and will take a two hour nap to get her going so our day really starts around 8-8:30. Her next nap won't be until mid afternoon and it is exhausting!!
  • She's been a peach the last few days at nap time. She didn't want to go down 30mins but she went after an hour of awake time. I've been really
    paying attention and she seems to
    be going down easier. Also if she starts fighting I put her back down and give her a bit longer. 
  • Putting my son down right now is like wrestling a crocidile!!! Praying it's a faze

• I don't know if DD is over the wonder week leap (17 weeks and 2 days old), but she isn't fighting naps as hard now. The only thing that I have done differently is increased her play time on her mat. The other day she played on it for forty minutes and then took a two hour nap!

• I don't know if DD is over the wonder week leap (17 weeks and 2 days old), but she isn't fighting naps as hard now. The only thing that I have done differently is increased her play time on her mat. The other day she played on it for forty minutes and then took a two hour nap!
    We are the same, she's not fighting them as hard either, she is sleeping like crap at night so only has about an hour wake window most of the day, maybe 2 at most.