Cloth Diapering

Cloth Diapering vs Disposable Diapers

HI...

Just realized that there was a specific board for cloth diapering questions... So I apologize for the repeat post....

with my 1st child we used disposable diapers and disposable wipes. This time around we are debating cloth diapers and cloth wipes. Don't really know much about either or too many people that have used them.

I am looking for some feedback on using cloth diapers/ wipes. Pros/cons/does it really save money etc...

thanks

Re: Cloth Diapering vs Disposable Diapers

• Start with the FAQ at the top of the board, a lot of your questions might be answered there.

If you google "cloth diaper calculator" you will find some good cost comparisons.
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    I've spent about $300 on cloth diapers and accessories which will last me through all my kids. I'm sure I'd spend more than that on disposables. 
    I do more laundry than I did pre-kid though. 
  • Loading the player...
  • There are a couple of threads near the top of the page in which people were looking for positive feedback about CD'ing. You'll find a lot of enthusiastic responses!
  • I couldn't afford to not receive a paycheck if we were using disposable diapers.  I may not be cloth diapering multiple kids but the one I am has special needs and is apparently not ready to potty train yet despite my best attempts.  I have spent about what I would have spent for one year's worth of disposable diapers or less (assuming the same frequency of changes) and I have diapered for 3 years and still going.  That's taking into account the differences between what I paid and what I sold diapers at and not including what I can sell items in my current stash for as I don't know how much more wear the diapers will get before Pip outgrows traditional baby cloth diapers or potty trains.  

When you cd, using cloth wipes makes a certain amount of sense - especially at home since they just get tossed into the pail with the diapers.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • My second child is 6mo, and I've spent about $1000 to diaper both kids. I had a lot of high end woolies and fitteds with #1 that I was able to sell to pay for other things I needed as I went-like trainers. I'm using the same pocket diapers, but I bought all bamboo and cotton flats to stuff them with for this baby. I bought them with the money from selling my newborn diapers (after being used on 3 kids).

It's all a trade off. I spent more (though way less than disposables) but I really enjoyed using them, and they were cuter and softer than disposables. The Sloomb wool pants I used as a cover were $75 new, but I traded them for bigger sizes as DD1 grew, and recently sold a pair for $90! Plus I made lots of friends along the way in local and online cloth diapering groups.

You could use flats and covers birth to potty training for $200, with dollar store washcloths as wipes, and the stash would last for multiple children. These are also the easiest to wash because there are no layers. They need to be folded and fastened, which is easy to learn, but daunting for a daycare. DH refuses to use our flats folded-I have to stuff pockets for him. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I calculated per wash using water softener & expensive detergent. I don't think cd is saving me money. And I didn't pay for diapers. They were given to me. But i think they're better for the kids better for the environment. 
  • I calculated per wash using water softener & expensive detergent. I don't think cd is saving me money. And I didn't pay for diapers. They were given to me. But i think they're better for the kids better for the environment. 
    Just curious, how did you figure washing costs?  For us, dd moving back into the household caused a bigger jump in water and electric usage than beginning to cd did and we've never noticed a change in the years since.

What detergent is your expensive detergent?

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • Call me crazy but we spent $130 total for all cloth diaper needs. I don't know my water usage, but I would have been doing baby laundry anyways. 

We would have spent $100 a month using disposables so this is a massive savings. 

For us, we found super cheap diapers from China and stuffed them with $2 OsoCozy brand inserts. That's how we only spent $130 total and we have never had one blowout or one leak. My son is 8 months old and I do laundry every 2 days.