Infertility
Options

First IUI question (loss and child mentioned)

hello ladies. I have posted here before but after a loss last year and many many months of trying, we are finally attempting our first IUI. I go monday morning (CD 10) for them to start checking for a surge and then ovulation. My question is can we still try at home as well as attempt the IUI? I never thought of that before but should also be trying the days leading up to the IUI? 
TIA 

Re: First IUI question (loss and child mentioned)

• Options
    I would ask your doctor for a recommendation based on your specific circumstances.  In my experience--I have done 3 IUIs w/Clomid and Ovidrel trigger and have a MFI issue (morphology)--we were told to BD the night of the trigger shot and the night after the IUI (and we did trigger shot in the evening, then IUI 2 mornings later).  
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    dx: MFI (morphology)
    IUI #1 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Sept. 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #2 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Halloween 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #3 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Thanksgiving 2015 ~ BFP!!
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    1/28/16 ~ began to say goodbye to our beautiful baby at 11w 
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
    IUI #4 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Apr. 2016 ~ BFN
    IUI #5 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ CP
    IUI#6 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ BFN
  • Options
    Like PP said we were told to BD the night before the trigger and then the night of the IUI if possible but I think it depends a lot on your DHs sperm counts. Definitely ask your doctor on Monday. Good luck! 

Me 35, DH 37

Unexplained infertility and TTC since December 2014

February 2016 - May 2016: 3 IUI's -- all BFN

August 2016: IVF #1 (Lupron, Gonal F and Menopur) -- 12 retrieved, 9 fertilized, 3 frozen and 1 x day 5 hatching blast transferred -- BFN. Sent remaining 3 embryos for PGS testing -- 2 didn't survive thaw, 1 was abnormal.

February 2017: IVF #2 (Gonal F, Menopur, and Ganirelix) -- 12 retrieved, 6 fertilized, 3 sent for PGS testing and all were abnormal

March 2018: IVF #3 (Menopur, Follistim, Ganirelix and HGH) -- 14 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 4 sent for PGS testing, and 3 were PGS normal

May 2018: FET #1 -- BFN

August 2018: FET #2 -- BFP!!! healthy baby girl born May 2019!!

July 2020: FET #3 -- embyro did not survive thaw

September 2020 - IVF #4 (Menopur, Follistim, Ganirelix and HGH) -- 1 PGS normal

October 2020 - FET #4 -- BFN

January 2021 - IVF #5 (Menopur, Follistim, Ganirelix and HGH)  -- 2 PGS normal

February 2021 - FET #5 - BFP!!! Due 11/6/2021

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The IUI form our RE gave us said to avoid for 3 days prior, but based on DH's count she told us that as long as we avoid from +opk (not triggering) to IUI we would be fine.
  • Options
    Yeah definitely varies based on sperm testing, but our RE said definitely night of the IUI and the following morning. 
  • Options
    Basically, you want to have the best sperm sample possible for your IUI, so it really depends based on your DH's sperm.  If you have MFI, they say you get the best sample (highest count/motility) if abstinent for 2 days in between.  Even if you don't have MFI, the general rule is that a man will produce the best sperm sample if abstinent for 2 days, but if your DH has really high counts anyway then it shouldn't matter much.  We have MFI, so we were told to BD the day of the trigger and our IUI was 2 mornings later.  Any BD'ing after the IUI shouldn't matter, it's the days before that matter so you get the best sperm for your IUI.
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • Options
    srh18srh18 member
    Our RE told us that whether or not you should BD prior to the iui has to do with how your body responds to the medications (we do not have mfi). She told us that because I have typically had only a few follies mature on clomid at a time, that we could BD unprotected whenever we wanted. She said that for women who respond more unpredictably (i.e., too many follies at once), they recommend protected sex only until trigger or surge, to reduce the risk of high-order multiples.  I have surged unexpectedly twice over the past four months, so she also recommended that we BD at least every other day from cycle day 12 just in case. I imagine it mostly depends on your re and your specific situation though. 
  • Options
    Hiya!! @Stuuuaaart Good luck tomorrow!!! We were told to regain from baby dancing 2 days prior, but advised to baby dance the day of our iui and several days after. Fingers crossed for you! !!!! o:)