2nd Trimester

Little bit of TMI, Frequent BM's

When I try to look it up I only come up with BM problems, but it is not diarrhea and not constipation, it is simply that I am going poo at least twice as much as pre-pregnancy and I was wondering if that was normal or common. My diet is the same as before-though slightly better-as my diet was always well balanced, whole grains, leafy greens and all that, but since the beginning of my second trimester I have been going upwards of 4-5 times a day! Previous norm being 1-2. Sometimes the smell and color are even slightly different than I have noticed before. I will see the doctor in about a week and a half but I just wasn't sure if it was actually an issue. I feel fine, getting proper kicks from the little one, health is good-a little stressed out from husband, but that's about it.
Thank you for bearing with me and any forthcoming answers.
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Little bit of TMI, Frequent BM's

• You are probably fine. Pregnancy does a number on your bowels!
  • Everyone's body is affected differently by pregnancy and hormones, changing your diet exercise routines and pretty much anything will change your bm's during pregnancy. If it isn't constant diarrhea and you are able to keep fluids down I wouldn't be concerned 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• I call that a win! I would say as long as it is normal color/consistency, you are fine. I used to have problems with constipation (long before I was pregnant) but now go at least twice a day (normal consistency). I am happy with it, considering I am sure it will reverse after delivery.
  • Constipation is more common, but pregnancy can have the opposite affect as well. Pregnancy changes poop, and as long as it's not severe diarrhea or a horrible color, I'd say you're all good!
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I'm in the same boat and was last pregnancy. Probably just because there's less space and everything is squished.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm beyond jealous. I wish I could poop once a day, let alone twice!!!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @givemepenguinss right? My mouth is hanging open at this. I am so fucking jealous. 
  • I'm with the last few ladies... so jealous of your bowel movements. I'd rather be able to go that much than what i'm going through now.. I try to go and I just get little rabbit turds that take forever to come out.  I used to be extremely regular before pregnancy!  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • During pregnancy I went back and forth between constipation and excessive bowel movements. Both are normal. 
  • I have the same "problem" as OP, was wondering the same thing. I just really don't want hemorrhoids for the frequent BMs :/ definitely going 4-5 times a day.
  • If you changed your diet to eating more fruits and vegetables and staying active there's a pretty good chance you're helping you're digestive track that way. 
  • tgortney said:
    I have the same "problem" as OP, was wondering the same thing. I just really don't want hemorrhoids for the frequent BMs :/ definitely going 4-5 times a day.
    Just don't force your poops out and you should be fine. If they're coming out normal with little to no struggle, nothing to worry about :) I also recommend cottonelle flushable butt wipes if you're pooping that much. It will save your skin!! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • tgortney said:
    I have the same "problem" as OP, was wondering the same thing. I just really don't want hemorrhoids for the frequent BMs :/ definitely going 4-5 times a day.
    Just don't force your poops out and you should be fine. If they're coming out normal with little to no struggle, nothing to worry about :) I also recommend cottonelle flushable butt wipes if you're pooping that much. It will save your skin!! 
    I agree with pp. I only go when I've got to go, which is at least daily if not more. My poop is a healthy color and consistency so I'm assuming I'm doing just fine. 

I'm 25 weeks and no hemorrhoids yet, but I've been told that nearly everyone gets them after popping out that kiddo. Just buy some pads and creams to prepare yourself and know that you are in good company. ;)
  • My BMs increase to 1+ a day once the baby dropped. No hemorrhoids here and agree with the wipes. 
  • Thanks for the tips ladies :)
  • @Nerdchild If you're not constipated, which most women are, you might be safe. I've never had one and had a vaginal delivery with DD. I only kind of have an idea of what a hemorrhoid is.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• My OB suggested upping my iron pills since I was having this issue AND was anemic. She said it's the iron pills which can cause constipation a lot of times... I'm back to "normal" since I doubled the dose, per her recommendation.