February 2016 Moms

Formula fed babies question

How much/how often does your LO eat? How old is LO? 
My DS is 7 weeks old and has been eating 4oz every 3-4hrs, with a 6-8hr without eating stretch at night. He's starting to eat 5 oz now and still every 3-4 hours. I feel like 5oz every 3 hours is a lot for this age? Maybe I'm wrong. At one month he weighed 10lbs, not sure how much he weighs now. 

Re: Formula fed babies question

• My son is the same - 4 to 5 ounces every 3 to 4 hours. I was worried that it was excessive too, but he never spits any back up. He's seven weeks today.
  • Sounds the same as us. My little guy is 7 weeks today and doing 4oz every 3-4 hours and lately eating every 2.5-3 hours at night due to a cold he has waking him up constantly. Otherwise we were doing 7 hour stretches at night. He currently weighs 13lbs.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Ditto. My little girl is 7 weeks almost 8 and eats 4 oz every 2-3 hours during the day. With a 8 hour stretch at night...sounds like he's right on track with all of us to me.My first only ever ate 4 oz. She would never take more but ate more frequently.
  • LO is 6 weeks and she eats 2-4oz every 2-3 hours even at night. I am very tired hopefully she will eat a little more soon and take long stretches. I feel like a zombie. 
  • I'm in the same boat.  LO is almost 7 weeks and takes 3-4oz every 3 hours.  I thought that was a lot too but dr says thats right on track.  She's not yet sleeping through the night but I think she's just trying to catch up, she was really small at birth and we've had issues getting her to gain.  She's currently 9lbs.
  • My daughter is 6 weeks and eats 4-5 ounces every 3-4 hours even during the night. I was thinking the same thing, it seems very excessive, but she never spits up. I have a check up with my doctor in a few days so definitely going to mention  it to her. 
  • My 5 week old is eating 5 to 8 oz every 2 to 3 hours :o , he gained 3 lbs 4 oz in less than 3 weeks and weighs about 12 1/2 lbs... i think he is a piggy!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My babygirl is only 5 weeks (almost 6) and she eats 4-5 oz every 3 hours. She sleeps from about 11pm to about 7:30am without waking up at all.!!(:
  • Thankful for the most recent two posts. My almost 9 lb. 5 week old is more in line with them than the earlier posts. I was starting to worry my boy was a chunker!

He eats 4-6 oz. every 2-4 hours with the longer stretches at night. Doc seems happy and weight gain is on track. 
  • My LO is 8 weeks and just started eating 4oz every 2-3 hours. He is 10 pounds. He sleeps for about a 6 hour stretch at night and then wakes up every 3-4 after that. He is small for his age, but pediatrician said he's always been small, so she isn't worried. She did say to increase to 4.5 ounces if he doesn't seem satisfied after 4oz and that it would be ok to increase and 4.5oz wouldn't be too much for his age. 
  • I'm glad to see we're in normal range. He is now almost 9 weeks old and eats 5oz every 3-4 hours during the day with the exception of 6oz when he first wakes in the morning. He occasionally has a "snack" of 2-3 oz once a day as well. He's up to about 30oz a day and last night slept from 9:30-6! 
  • Atlas is 10 weeks and he eats 4-5 oz we try to go every 4 hours but sometimes around the 3 hour mark he loses it and starts screaming and acting hungry. 
  • Question for you ladies, when you transition LO to a larger bottle what's your process? DD was eating 4oz every 3 hours during the day and would go for a 6-8 hour stretch without eating at night but I noticed over the last week she was wanting to eat every 2 hours and has been crying after her bottle is finished like she's still hungry. I think she's ready for 5oz every now and again but probably won't want that much at every feeding to start out. I was thinking I'd just make 5oz bottles every feeding since I can't predict when she'll want that little extra, that way she has the option of more if she wants it? I'm just worried I'll overfeed her as we transition from 4 to 5 - any suggestions? How do you ladies handle bottle making when LO seems like they are ready to move up an oz? 
  • I did just that. Started making 5 oz. if he doesn't want it all he doesn't eat it all. He also was acting hungry after 5oz first thing in the morning so we started offering 6 in the morning and that seems to satisfy him 
  • We have started making 5 oz bottles as well. 4 never satisfied him anymore. Sometimes he wants 6, but not often enough for me to make 6 oz bottles. He does sometimes waste a little bit with the 5 oz bottles, but not enough for me to go back to making 4 oz bottles and then having to almost always make another ounce.
  • I usually make more when either they start to go fewer hours between feeds or if they just don't seem satisfied after a feed on a consistent basis.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers