Cloth Diapering

Redness between cheeks?

I have just started using pocket diapers with bamboo inserts. They seem to work really well except that my son has a touch of redness between his cheeks. He has never had diaper rash (he's 2 months old) but I read that at the first sign of redness you wanna put cream on it. But that would mean using a disposable after every cloth diaper.... I just started using cloth WIPES tonight. I let him air dry after wiping. I used a dry cloth to dry him just now and I will see what happens next time I change him. Any who.. I wanted to know if there is something I can do to not have redness. I really want to cloth diaper but it's not worth my kids bum. ☺️ Thanks everyone!

Re: Redness between cheeks?

• There are cloth-safe creams, as well as fleece liners to keep cream off diapers. I like ones with calendula, like Punkin Butt or Dimpleskins. No need to use disposables to clear a rash. A bit of baking soda in the bath water clears redness. I also make sure I pat dry with a cloth wipe, and air the bum a bit before putting on cream. We get redness occasionally, no rashes yet (2 months in cloth). DD1 got rashes every time she teethed, she was in cloth too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just started using cloth wipes last night and what a difference?! The solution I use has coconut oil and there's no more redness. I wouldn't have thought to use baking soda in the bath! Great advice. Also using a fleece wipe as a barrier if I do use cream is a great idea. Thanks for the advice. This cloth diaper and cloth wipe stuff is so great I want every mom I know to know about it! So glad it's working now. I was worried it wouldn't. Thanks again!☺️
  • Loading the player...
  • We use Babyganics diaper cream which is cloth safe. So far been working great and no issues washing.
  • I use desitin but with a fleece liner. no leaking issues at all :)
  • Is he pooping a lot? Do you BF? If so, do you have a lot of acidic foods in your diet?

For example if you've been eating a lot of fruit lately, sometimes people forget that they can be very acidic, because it is masked by the natural sweetness of the fruit. Apples can be as low as pH 4. Blueberries are also very acidic. I stopped drinking OJ and grapefruit juice while I was BF'ing, and that seemed to help a lot.
  • I use cocoanut oil as a rash creme and it is working well to clear her redness between cheeks. Also good for lotion.
  • If you pump, breastmilk is an awesome fix-all.
  • My favorite product is Motherlove rash & thrush cream!!! Cloth diaper safe and works great so far! I purchased it on Amazon.
  • I second coconut oil. Burt's Bees Multipurpose Ointment is also cloth safe!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had no idea rash creams weren't cloth diaper safe? My LO is 1 week old and already has the redness/rash starting. I used babyganics cream and the rash only got worse so I started using aquafor diaper rash cream- and no improvement.  Am I missing something?  Does she have the rash because cloth diapers aren't absorbent?  FTM so this is all new to me
  • @mrsloriw what diapers are you using?  What are you using for wipes/wipe solution?

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • @mrsloriw Can you describe the rash? Location, is it just generally red, bumps, splotchy, etc.? What is your wash routine? Do the diapers smell at all when they are wet?
  • mrsloriw said:
    I had no idea rash creams weren't cloth diaper safe? My LO is 1 week old and already has the redness/rash starting. I used babyganics cream and the rash only got worse so I started using aquafor diaper rash cream- and no improvement.  Am I missing something?  Does she have the rash because cloth diapers aren't absorbent?  FTM so this is all new to me
    Petroleum-based rash creams can cause CDs to repel. Zinc can stain cloth, but I don't know if it affects absorbency. There are a handful of non-petroleum zinc products out there, but they might still recommend that you use some kind of liner. 

Rash could be due to any number of things. Could be some kind of sensitivity. Some babies are just very sensitive to wetness. If you are BF they could be reacting to something you are eating. Sometimes a bit of detergent residue on diapers can cause irritation. When you have time, maybe come back and try answering some of the questions that Pip and I posted above. 

If you suspect that something is not quite right about your laundry routine, another good place for troubleshooting help is Cloth Diaper Tech Support on Facebook.

Early days are super-stressful! You will find your groove.
  • mrsloriw said:
    I had no idea rash creams weren't cloth diaper safe? My LO is 1 week old and already has the redness/rash starting. I used babyganics cream and the rash only got worse so I started using aquafor diaper rash cream- and no improvement.  Am I missing something?  Does she have the rash because cloth diapers aren't absorbent?  FTM so this is all new to me
    If the rash is really red it could be a yeast diaper rash. You will need to bleach your diapers in order to kill the yeast and avoid reinfection. You'll need to use an over the counter athletes foot cream to cure the rash, and if you continue CDing, bleach with every wash cycle for 2wks to kill the yeast. Or go into disposables. 

Yeast is persistent and was a cause for many troubles for us when I first started CDing. Once I figured out that was the cause, 2 months later we are happily CDing with no issues!
  • Sorry I've been absent-  we use a diaper service where they provide and wash the diapers.  They never instructed us not to use any ointment so we have been using the cream. We just got the aquafor ointment as opposed to the cream and it cleared up instantly!  The rash wasn't  bumpy but it was red on either side of her butt cheeks. And if you felt it, it felt kind of rough or raw and not smooth like her skin. 
  • edited August 2016
    Rash creams are diaper safe.  Make sure you have a good wash routine. With tide! *Removed for TOU Violation*
  • Tide isn't the only detergent available that works.  There are plenty of options to choose from.  

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook