2nd Trimester

Breast Pumps?

MommyOfBabyGMommyOfBabyG member
edited March 2016 in 2nd Trimester
My insurance will pay for any breast pump I want but I have to choose which one I want in the next few weeks. I have no idea where to start. What are some good breast pumps that you have seen or used?

*please no rude comments 

Re: Breast Pumps?

• Loading the player...
  • I have posted a few other seemingly innocent questions and was amazed by the rude comments which is why no matter what I post now I put that on the bottom.
  • My insurance will pay for any breast pump I want but I have to choose which one I want in the next few weeks. I have no idea where to start. What are some good breast pumps that you have seen or used?

*please no rude comments 
    I don't know of any insurance company that will pay for "any breast pump you want", but they may give you some options covered at 100% and other that you can upgrade to. 

For me, I called my insurance company who gave me the phone number/website of the company they provide the insurance supplied breast pumps through.  I had to upload my RX from my Doctor, and fill out the standard personal/shipping/due date information, etc.  It then led me to the options I had to select from.  I had 2 pumps to select from that were covered at 100%.  I wasn't interested in upgrading and paying anything out of pocket, so I chose the Medela electric double breast pump because of their reputation. 

Ditto what PP said - you typically can't even "apply" for a pump before you are 28 weeks.
  • I agree with the others that it is weird that you put something about rude comments.....

But to answer your question, my insurance doesn't even give you a pump until you send in your paperwork showing that you had your baby (so you get it a few days after birth if you are on top of your paperwork). I used a Medela Pump In Style with my first child, exclusively pumped every two hours, and that was a workhorse. My insurance only approves a different brand of pump, so I am using that one as a spare, and paid for a Medela out of pocket as my main pump. 
    2- It's all personal preference. I went with a Medela (got mine through Edgepark who does all the work for you as far as contacting your insurance and dr) because my sister swore by hers and loved it. 
    3- there are TONS of threads on here with more info, especially from STMs and so on, so I'd highly suggest using the search function. 
    4- how would you get rude comments from this? Lol. 
    Really? Weird, I have Tricare and went through Aeroflow, I got my pump about 2 weeks ago (at 23 weeks).  Maybe mine coming early was just a fluke?

I also went with the Medela.  This is a my first pregnancy and I've obviously never used a breast pump before, but have a few friends who have used and liked their Medela pumps. 
  • My insurance only covers Medela, only a rental, only after 28 weeks, only with a prescription from an OB, and you don't receive it until 6 weeks PP. I say screw that!

I'm going with Avent natural flow double electric and buying it myself because I want to use the Avent glass bottle system and think it'll be easier to pump directly into my bottles and store that way. I've heard it's a good idea to try out a couple different models or possibly rent at first because you never know what's going to work for you. What someone else likes might be awful for you so it's really kind of a guessing game until you've used a pump yourself. Here on TB Medela seems to be everyone's fave. I may be silly for it, but I picked totally based on the bottles and storage and just FX it works out!

Also I wouldn't post about *rude comments* because that pretty much makes people want to turn the snark up a few notches immediately. The culture here on TB is snarky, straight-forward, and very tell-it-like-it-is. For the most part, regulars are rarely rude. More often posters don't like reality checks or being called out for bad manners such as skipping the search function, asking strangers to guess the sex or play OWTs, or posting humble brags or sanctimommy topics. Knowing your audience and posting accordingly will get you better results than *no rude comments* every time ;)
  • Nerdchild said:
    1- Most companies won't send yours out (let alone approve you) until your about 28 weeks. 
    2- It's all personal preference. I went with a Medela (got mine through Edgepark who does all the work for you as far as contacting your insurance and dr) because my sister swore by hers and loved it. 
    3- there are TONS of threads on here with more info, especially from STMs and so on, so I'd highly suggest using the search function. 
    4- how would you get rude comments from this? Lol. 
    Really? Weird, I have Tricare and went through Aeroflow, I got my pump about 2 weeks ago (at 23 weeks).  Maybe mine coming early was just a fluke?

I also went with the Medela.  This is a my first pregnancy and I've obviously never used a breast pump before, but have a few friends who have used and liked their Medela pumps. 
    Tri care is ahead of the game with some things, such as pumps. I do know though hat you have to be in your 2nd tri to get one through tri care. Also, it depends on which actual company you're using to get said pump. Edgepark sends out after 22 weeks, but because of my insurance (Cigna/NALC), they say after 28 weeks.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• My insurance only covers Medela, only a rental, only after 28 weeks, only with a prescription from an OB, and you don't receive it until 6 weeks PP. I say screw that!

STUCK IN THE BOX :(

6weeks post or pre? That sucks majorly that it's only rental. What insurance do you have, if you don't mind me asking?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have Horizon insurance and they sent me my pump around 15 weeks. I asked my OB about it at one of my first appointments and they gave me a prescription. All I had to do was fax it over and they sent it. I think all insurances are different so you should just check with yours and see what they say. 

I got the Medela Pump In Style because it had awesome reviews and the replacement parts are easy to find. I'm a FTM so I've never actually used a pump, but I felt like this one was my best choice. 

I'm going with Avent natural flow double electric and buying it myself because I want to use the Avent glass bottle system and think it'll be easier to pump directly into my bottles and store that way. I've heard it's a good idea to try out a couple different models or possibly rent at first because you never know what's going to work for you. What someone else likes might be awful for you so it's really kind of a guessing game until you've used a pump yourself. Here on TB Medela seems to be everyone's fave. I may be silly for it, but I picked totally based on the bottles and storage and just FX it works out!

Also I wouldn't post about *rude comments* because that pretty much makes people want to turn the snark up a few notches immediately. The culture here on TB is snarky, straight-forward, and very tell-it-like-it-is. For the most part, regulars are rarely rude. More often posters don't like reality checks or being called out for bad manners such as skipping the search function, asking strangers to guess the sex or play OWTs, or posting humble brags or sanctimommy topics. Knowing your audience and posting accordingly will get you better results than *no rude comments* every time ;)
    You can buy an adapter for those bottles because we use them. However I have never used the adapter I bought and instead store milk in the containers that came with my pump. Which I guess defeats the purpose of glass bottles but I only have three 4 oz and three 8 oz (which we never use) because DD only has bottles two days a week. 
  • And to answer your question, I just got mine from my hospital because they provided Medela and Ameda insurance pumps and I was unexpectedly induced. 
    In the breast feeding forum I actually compared the two because I was given the Medela from a friend who used her insurance provided pump less than a month when my Ameda stopped working well. 
  • noelietrexnoelietrex member
    edited March 2016

My insurance only covers Medela, only a rental, only after 28 weeks, only with a prescription from an OB, and you don't receive it until 6 weeks PP. I say screw that!

6weeks post or pre? That sucks majorly that it's only rental. What insurance do you have, if you don't mind me asking?
    6 weeks post partum. I have Cigna. They've been AWESOME for everything else! They even cover my using a birthing center and midwife and I can pay for birthing classes with my HSA money, but the pump program stinks for some reason (could just be a grandfathered plan and that's why though so definitely always call and check in with your specific provider).

6 weeks post partum. I have Cigna. They've been AWESOME for everything else! They even cover my using a birthing center and midwife and I can pay for birthing classes with my HSA money, but the pump program stinks for some reason (could just be a grandfathered plan and that's why though so definitely always call and check in with your specific provider).
    I would call Edgepark. Technically our insurance is Cigna, but because of H's job with the government, he falls under the NALC insurance which IS Cigna lol. Really confusing. But yeah, if you are interested in being able to get your pump earlier AND keep it, look into Edgepark. They were beyond amazing once I hit the 28 week mark.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My medela was through edgepark and I was given a list of 4 choices.
    my dr's office ordered it at 26 weeks and it came in the mail at 28 weeks.
  • I'm getting the spectra 1 double breast pump because it has excellent reviews, is a hospital grade pump, and has a closed circuit system. My insurance will reimburse me for any hospital grade pump up to $300 and this one is fits the bill. I can order it anytime. 
  • I have Aetna, and I received my pump (Medela) around 13 weeks. I had to go through a specific company, and there were two or three options only, but I am pretty pleased with the one I chose. Insurance covered 100%. 
  • My mom friends said Medela is BEST and not to even bother with the other options. I got mine through Areoflow. LOOK IT UP! It was SO easy! They do the research for you and tell you exactly what your insurance will cover! And you can get other items at additional costs. They already sent mine and I am 20 weeks.

Me: 32 | DH: 33
    Met: 2005 | Started Dating: 2009 | Married: 2013

TTC#1: 06.2014;   BFP: 12.2015; DS Born: August 16, 2016
    TTC#2: 12.2017; BFP: 02.26.2018; CP 03.02.2018
                                BFP: 04.26.2018 DD Born: December 26, 2018
    Surprise Pregnancy #3; BFP: 01.11.2020; Due Date: September 19, 2021

• I think its awesome that your insurance pays for a breast pump! How forward thinking of them!

• LisaLstar said:
    I think its awesome that your insurance pays for a breast pump! How forward thinking of them!

Most do because of the changes. Pick at your insurance and see if you can get one as well. Some will only do manual, some give you a list of approved brands, and some will only allow you to pick a certain brand/model. 
  • I was only given the option of Ameda double electric or single manual pumps for this pregnancy. Prior pregnancy, I paid OOP for a Medela Freestyle ($$$) but traveled for work quite a bit and needed the freedom a hands-free, plug-free pump would give me. Luckily I still have the Medela and will use the free Ameda as a back-up at home (since the reviews I've read were less than favorable). I ordered the pump from insurance at 12 wks and it came a week later. I can order one per calendar year, so I plan to order another one in January if this one craps out on me like I've heard it will. ha

Also-note that insurance will pay for free breastmilk storage bags every 90 days. I didn't know that!
    + 6/1/11, due 2/12/12. natural m/c @ 8wks
    + 9/3/11, due May 2012. overdue baby born healthy!
    + 8/3/15, natural m/c @ 5wks
    + 1/4/16, due 9/14/16

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • emilymt06emilymt06 member
    edited April 2016
    elldel said:
    I have Aetna, and I received my pump (Medela) around 13 weeks. I had to go through a specific company, and there were two or three options only, but I am pretty pleased with the one I chose. Insurance covered 100%. 
    I have BCBS of Illinois and received the same. I ordered mine at 16 weeks, and received it at 18 (my insurance only required a physicians confirmation of pregnancy) . I have heard some insurance companies won't comply until 28 weeks, but not every insurance policy is the same. Just call the service number on the back of your card and they will lead you in the right direction. 

I had a choice of Ameda Purely Yours Double Electric or Medela In Style Advanced at 100% coverage. I chose Medela because I enjoyed it (Freestyle) with my first pregnancy (rented from hospital). 

*edited because I posted too soon