May 2016 Moms
Options

Breast Pumps

13»

Re: Breast Pumps

• Options
    kbrands7 said:
    Anyone planning to get 2 pumps? An electric and a manual? I have a friend who uses both. I know some people like the flexibility of having a manual to take in their diaper bag for when they're going to be away from baby for the day for example, and then they don't have to lug their electric one. Has anyone done this in the past for STMs? Id be interested to know if it's worth getting both. 

******qbf********
    I absolutely recommend getting both! I used my double electric for most of my pumping, but a manual was wonderful for 1) when the power went out at work or home, 2) un-clogging pugged ducts in the shower, 3) date night pumping while out, 4) expressing for making baby food if I didn't feel like hand expressing, 5) pumping just one side while bf on the other side, and 6) piece of mind that I wouldn't be stuck if my pump broke for some reason (it didn't, but I had a friend whose supply tanked and clogged because her pump broke and she didn't get a back up quickly enough). I used the Medela PIS (electric) and Medela Harmony (manual). For $30, it was well worth it.
    This may seem like a silly question, but if you are on date night and manually pump... What do you do with the milk while you are away a few hours? 
  • Options
    AliciaD39 said:
    kbrands7 said:
    Anyone planning to get 2 pumps? An electric and a manual? I have a friend who uses both. I know some people like the flexibility of having a manual to take in their diaper bag for when they're going to be away from baby for the day for example, and then they don't have to lug their electric one. Has anyone done this in the past for STMs? Id be interested to know if it's worth getting both. 

******qbf********
    I absolutely recommend getting both! I used my double electric for most of my pumping, but a manual was wonderful for 1) when the power went out at work or home, 2) un-clogging pugged ducts in the shower, 3) date night pumping while out, 4) expressing for making baby food if I didn't feel like hand expressing, 5) pumping just one side while bf on the other side, and 6) piece of mind that I wouldn't be stuck if my pump broke for some reason (it didn't, but I had a friend whose supply tanked and clogged because her pump broke and she didn't get a back up quickly enough). I used the Medela PIS (electric) and Medela Harmony (manual). For $30, it was well worth it.
    This may seem like a silly question, but if you are on date night and manually pump... What do you do with the milk while you are away a few hours? 
    I'd stash a bottle-sized cooler in my purse and a skinny icepack-- or if it's not warm out, BM is actually safe at room temperature for up to 6hrs.