September 2015 Moms
Options

Too early bedtime, or teething?

OK, so my DD is nearly 6 months old.  The last two nights she has been sleeping badly.  Normally (for the past 3 months) she has had her bath at 6, then a bottle and then has slept for maybe 8/9 hours and then back to sleep for a few more.  The last 2 nights she has had her bath and bottle, then fell asleep, then 2/3 hours later woken up and found it really hard to get back to sleep  Last night she slept 7-9...then awake until 3!

Now, I think this is because she is teething.  During the day she is constantly biting everything. She always wants to chew, and has been a bit irritable.

My husband however, thinks that 6.30-7pm is too early and that she has been waking up because I'm putting her to bed too early.  But surely if that was the case then she wouldn't have been sleeping 9+ hours for the last 3 months if it was too early of a bed time.  Also, everyday when it comes to 5.30/6pm she is so cranky, and tired that it's plain mean for me to keep her awake any longer.

Opinions please.  Am I putting her to bed to early, or do you think it's teething?

Help!

Re: Too early bedtime, or teething?

• Options
    jen6sjen6s member
    We've had a bit the same and he's same age. Ive found that if you stretch out the afternoon and keep them active by playing with them or talking a walk etc and start bedtime routine around 630pm and in bed by 7pm he'll sleep longer. If he wakes up, i do nappy change and bottle and he'll go back to sleep in around half hour.
    Solids foods and his regular milk at dinner also help. Without the solids for dinner he always wakes up earlier in the morning too. 
    Oh...and ive noticed with the weather changes i think he was getting cool in the early hours of the morning, despite being hot when he went to bed. A sheet or sleeping bag has got me a few half hour 'sleep ins' too. :)
  • Options
    Sounds exactly like teethimg. That is not too early fur a bedtone. 

My DS gets cranky in the evenings and has trouble sleeping during the first part of the night before each tooth and as they come in fully. He has his bottom two and top two! 

Keep doing what you're doing and just provide comfort and feed when LO wakes up, it will get better.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That's a perfect bedtime for her age. 
    Its most likely teething. Are you giving her a bit of Tylenol before bed? My DS is teething too (he's got 4 coming in right now) and giving him Tylenol tends to help. 
  • Options
    ZebraStripeZebraStripe member
    edited March 2016
    jen6s said:
    Oh...and ive noticed with the weather changes i think he was getting cool in the early hours of the morning, despite being hot when he went to bed. A sheet or sleeping bag has got me a few half hour 'sleep ins' too. :)
    I know our LOs are becoming more mobile every day and are now learning how to pull things off their face, roll, and some are beginning to possibly even crawl (or getting into position) but Pls just use a sleep sac. If your LO moves a lot and gets tangled in the sheet it can be a SIDS risk. 
  • Options
    Ask your dr if you can use Motrin now. It is more effective at pain relief. 
  • Options
    Bognes said:
    Omg.. We tried Motrin on Sunday night. Biggest.mistake.EVER. We were up every hour. It did nothing for him. I know ever baby is different but we went straight back to Tylenol. 
  • Options
    Bognes said:
    Omg.. We tried Motrin on Sunday night. Biggest.mistake.EVER. We were up every hour. It did nothing for him. I know ever baby is different but we went straight back to Tylenol. 
    Oh don't tell me that. I was actually excited we reached Motrin stage. Hopefully it works for us.