February 2016 Moms

Baby acne?

I know it's normal. I know it'll heal itself. But, do you do anything to help your little ones acne? My SIL said almond oil helped my niece but I'm reluctant to try it. 

Re: Baby acne?

• The best thing to do is let it go away on its own. My 2 year old had it pretty bad when he was a baby and the doctor did say I could use a very small amount of hydrocortisone cream but to be very careful about getting it too close to the eyes or mouth.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I used Mustela Stelatopia off and on, but I don't think it did much. Best thing is to just ride it out. 

• Loading the player...
  • My baby (who will be 5 weeks on Thursday) has it pretty bad. I've been washing her face with warm water twice a day, and it's clearing up, finally! 
  • Our pediatrician said to use hydrocortisone cream 2 x daily for 3 -5 days and it cleared it up within the first day. She said that's the only thing that will treat it not mask it like oils will. Also if he has it on his head she told us to wash her hair with head and shoulders left on it for 5 to 10 minutes. I promise it worked quickly!
  • I might try hydrocortisone cream if it doesn't start healing in a few days. I didn't think about that. Thanks for the recommendations!
  • My doctor said if it got worse I could use something but honestly it went away by 7 weeks. I thought it was never going to get better and then it was gone.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My doc just said it will peak at six weeks and then start clearing up and to wash with water only until then
  • I've also been washing LO's face with warm water twice a day.
  • My little one had it as well. I used coconut oil on hers and it seemed to help. I have also tried breast milk. I know it sounds weird but it did work. Someone told me if you have some extra milk to use in a milk bath. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • DS had horrible acne till about week six and then his skin cleared up completely in what seemed like overnight. We washed his face with warm water once in the morning and once in the evening. I have heard some women putting a little breast milk on it---not sure how effective that is and we never tried it. 
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • It seems like most clear up around 6 weeks. LO is 7w1d and it didn't really start til after 6 weeks so hopefully that means it'll just clear up soon! I'm just being superficial and thinking he has his blessing in 2 weeks and I want cute pics... 
  • VitaLunaVitaLuna member
    edited March 2016
    Keep in mind that hydrocortisone is a corticosteroid and baby acne is just cosmetic. My pedi also said we could use it with DD1 if it really bothered us, but you have to be very cautious and limited with use. We never used it, simply because I didn't feel something cosmetic needed a medicated treatment, but if you choose to, just be really mindful of use. 

• We've gotten it bad with both LOs.  It looks bad but it clears up on its own with time.  Just wash every few days with a warm wash cloth. 
  • I just got back from the Dr and DS was diagnosed with baby acne. He said it will just go away on its own and if its not bothering him to just let it be. I thought he had excema and just recently its been creeping down his body (chest, arms, and back) but seems like his forehead and cheeks are starting to clear up. Its so weird and I was worried about it but Dr said he thinks it should clear up in 3-4 weeks on its own.

Maybe your LO will clear up in the next couple of weeks since it seems most do pretty quickly on their own. I was worried about the acne looking very prominent in pictures but it seems like most pictures that I take you can barely tell he has it. Maybe you could experiment with different light/camera settings to see what works best for the upcoming pictures. 
  • If you can, put a dab of breastmilk on it. It worked for us. 

• dtaded13 said:

It seems like most clear up around 6 weeks. LO is 7w1d and it didn't really start til after 6 weeks so hopefully that means it'll just clear up soon! I'm just being superficial and thinking he has his blessing in 2 weeks and I want cute pics... 

It tends to flare up after nursing (because of the hormones in your milk) and if they are warm. Maybe try to time the pictures so it is not close nursing.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • On a side note, your baby is so dang cute!! Absolutely adorable!!!!! 
  • On a side note, your baby is so dang cute!! Absolutely adorable!!!!! 
    Thanks, I like him

• dtaded13 said:

It seems like most clear up around 6 weeks. LO is 7w1d and it didn't really start til after 6 weeks so hopefully that means it'll just clear up soon! I'm just being superficial and thinking he has his blessing in 2 weeks and I want cute pics... 

It tends to flare up after nursing (because of the hormones in your milk) and if they are warm. Maybe try to time the pictures so it is not close nursing.
    He's exclusively formula fed lol
  • I tried the Breastmilk on the acne thing and it seemed to clear up a bit. Ours clears up more after wiping with warm water but then will look bad again later in the day. It's really superficial but I'm ready for it to go ahead and clear up lol
  • adelahorn3adelahorn3 member
    edited April 2016
    **Removed for TOU violation**
  • Well ladies after 4 weeks it cleared up all on its own! At his 2 month checkup the dr said to wash with warm washcloth and then apply a tiny bit of hydrocortisone cream which I was going to start the next day but when he woke up it was gone. Yay!