March 2015 Moms

First bday party

alright bumbies...my son is turning 1 on March 18. We are planning on having a bday party for him at our house on Saturday the 19. (So close to holidays that works the best) so I guess I am curious what other mommies are planning for their parties. We are not going all out crazy but I do want to make it memorable for my husband and I and of course take tons of pics to look back on.. So I am thinking of doing a theme (again not going crazy, but he absolutely loves the hungry caterpillar). I am also putting a 2 hour bday time limit (IM thinking 2-4 because that is after morning nap and before evening power nap) and we have some family that would stay all day long if we didn't have a time limit. I want to do appetizers.. No big foods. Possibly the foods from the book (cheese, sausage, fruits, veggies) it will have to be inside because we live in the north and it will probably be snowy. I will have other family and friends kids there.. Ages from 3-12. I'm not sure what to do with them. I don't want to have games set up or anything, plus we seriously have no room in our house for anything more than a table full of appetizers and chairs for people to sit. 
i guess I am just throwing out some ideas.. This is our first and we've never done a bday party. So any advice or ideas are welcome!! 

Re: First bday party

• Yay! I am getting ready to throw our daughters first bday on the 12th of March...same thing...nothing crazy but also have afew other children attending. Of course all the aldults are probably fine just talking ( lord knows it's so nice to have aldult conversation these days) so maybe for the kids have something for them to do craft wise...maybe a pic of a hungry Catapillar or bday cake to color...then they can take them home with them as a souvenir from ur little ones first bday...I am keeping mine simple and sweet....just doing a pink and silver and glitter themed party...pizza and salad from a local pizza place near the house:) I figure if she naps while others are still here no biggie....it's her day:) Going to try not to make it an all day long party tho....I have been to bday parties where the parents and child open the gifts after everyone leaves as well, that saves time....it can take forever to get thru that part because then they want everything put together right then:) Good luck with ur party!!!! So exciting!!!! I am counting down the days but at the same time can't believe a whole year has gone by!!!!
  • We love in a small apartment so we are renting the party room at the carousel. We're doing a farm theme since our son loves animals. All of the kids in my family are under 2 so I think we'll do a couple rides and have some toys in a pen that I made a sign for. It'll be pretty simple too. 

I love your theme! 

BFP 7/4/2014 EDD 3/9/2015
  • Loading the player...
  • I can not believe it's already time to start planning this! My LO's 1st birthday is March 25th, which is a Friday, so We will plan to have family and friends over on Saturday for a crawfish boil/bbq and to celebrate. If the weather cooperates we will have some yard games set up in the back yard, most of the kids in attendance will be older. I think we are going with a transportation theme, boats, planes automobiles. 
  • SMac2013 said:
    So I am thinking of doing a theme (again not going crazy, but he absolutely loves the hungry caterpillar). 
    Here is a blog I loved that did a worm thing - https://www.younghouselove.com/2012/05/worm-to-your-motha/ 

I cannot believe my daughter will be ONE!!! I am actually having my second daughter two days before her first birthday so we are going to do a smash cake/family only party the weekend before then do a bigger party 2 weeks later.  The theme is bright pink and cheesecake because she loves it!  
  • We are having baby boy's party on Mar 5th and it is Dr. Seuss theme since they share the same birthday. We just sent out invitations and did put a time limit even though we don't mind if people stay longer. Still figuring out main food and decorations, but I have a lot of ideas thanks to Pinterest. 
  • myjessesgirlmyjessesgirl member
    edited February 2016
    DD's birthday is March 23rd, so we are planning a small family party on the 26th. Nothing big since the weather is chilly here in PA and our house is small! But I plan on doing a zebra theme. I'm going to make chili and macaroni and cheese, both meals that can be made in advance and served in crockpots or heated beforehand. Also very kid-friendly (anyone else's LO's adore beans?). I don't plan on any games. My SIL makes awesome cakes, so I'm planning on carrot cake: a small smash cake and cupcakes. I already bought decorations and supplies since I am also planning my sister's baby shower and wanted to finish up planning this birthday party so that I could free up time to do that!
  • My little guys birthday is March 11, but since my husbands family lives out of town having a dual bday with his nephew born a year earlier and same week. My sons is Mickey Mouse, he loves that clubhouse show will dance to the song!! then the next weekend one here at our house with my family, but only adults will be attending and one younger baby, theme is dinosaurs, since that is the second thing lil man loves. I love planning parties so why not 2...must be crazy.
    Love the other ideas.
  • Since mine and my daughter share a birthday and it's on Easter we're having her party on the 26th with a few friends and family. We're going to have cupcakes and he own smash cake and a few snacks.
  • I just celebrated my daughter's first birthday. We rented a hall and I diyed all the decorations and I noticed that most kids started to get tired after 2 hours so choosing a 2 hour cap is a great plan! Also having baby friendly toys help keep the young ones occupied or just have ample running space! Happy planning! 

You can check out my blogpost below on my LO's party :) Hope it helps!
    https://theallyjourney.blogspot.my/2016/03/travel-bunny-themed-first-birthday.html
  • We just had our bday party.  I tried to keep it simple but I think it was too much for her.  She is usually so confident and happy but she was suuuper shy and clingy and fussed whenever we put her down or someone else tried to pick her up.  Try to have a play area for the babies and be prepared for her to be a little overwhelmed with all the grown ups.  As far as party planning I tried to constantly edit myself to keep from going overboard.  I got some cute pink and white polkadot paper party supplies at target and we ordered a cake and the night before got chips and salsa and hummus and pita chips and beer and wine.  People thought I put a lot of work into it.  I made a little smash cake with less sugar to avoid a sugar high and/or tummy ache.  https://www.healthyfitfabmoms.com/blog/babies’-first-smash-cake-recipe 
    I made the cake ahead because her birthday was during the week so she had it twice.  I even used apple/broccoli baby food for the applesauce (because its what i had so it was even more healthy).  
    Good luck.  
  • We did a "where the wild things are" theme and we did fruit and veggie trays. Time limit was a must for us. We ended up with a grumpy kiddo at the end. I made black bean chocolate cupcakes because of food allergies.
  • My lo's birthday is on the 29th and with him being my third child I feel like an old pro. We're going to Chuckee Cheese's and doing a minions theme, he loves those little yellow dudes, and a smash cake. I know he's a little young for a pizza place but my husband and I took my daughter there and he was extremely excited so we decided to give it a try.