Pregnant after a Loss
Options

Question from the TTCAL board

Hi everyone, nx congrats on your pregnancies.  Thought I might have a better chance getting feedback here rather than in the TTCAL board.  I was very blessed to get pregnant with my DS without any difficulty.  When he was a year we started trying for number 2.  Since that time (10 months ago)  I've had three miscarriages, all around the 5 week mark.  My OB stated she is even a little baffled by my losses all happening so early, especially since I had no difficulties with my son.  At this point I've started baby aspirin once a day and gone for blood tests (lupus, blood clotting, diabetes, thyroid etc), all came back normal.  Next step is a HSG which is scheduled for two weeks from now.  Has anyone here gone on to have a successful pregnancy after multiple early miscarriages?  What interventions were put in place?  Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Our Journey:
DS born 05/14
Losses 06/15, 09/15, 02/16
DS born 12/16
HPT+ 1/12/20

Re: Question from the TTCAL board

• Options
    Your story sounds very similar to mine. I got pregnant accidentally with my son. When he was 9 mo we started TTC. I was still breastfeeding. I had three losses in a row in that year around 8 weeks. It hurts. I'm sorry you've gone through that. 

I didn't take anything, or go through any special treatment, but now I'm almost 16 weeks with a rainbow baby. It is possible and there is hope!

My theory, though this wasn't medically confirmed, is that I'm super fertile but release eggs that aren't prime while I'm breastfeeding. When I stopped breastfeeding, I got a viable pregnancy. 
  • Options
    I there, I've had three losses in a row myself. I'm so sorry for all of you that have gone through this.

I too already have a DS.

I got tested after my third loss and all tests came back as normal. Also did a us of my uterus and ovaries to check for any abnormality there. All was fine.

I'm now 38w 3d pregnant with what looks like a girl. Everything has gone great this time around.

whis you all the best
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ALC08ALC08 member
    I had two losses in 8 months and probably had the same blood tests as you. Although the first loss was followed by a d&c and genetic testing came back w a chromosomal abnormality, the blood test after my 2nd MC showed that i have MTHFR. Basically it's a deficiency in folic acid plus clotting issue. I was put on 4x folic acid and baby aspirin before we started TTC again and we were able to conceive immediately (didn't happen quiet that fast with my other pregnancies). I am 35 weeks today and this baby has appeared to be healthy from day 1. We were actually able to hear a strong hb at my 6 wk scan. It has been a completely different experience this time around. I think you said you are already on baby aspirin? IMO it would be well worth checking into. They may have already tested you for it, and some drs don't put much stock in. My dr is a high risk dr and in my case i believe the treatment is what made the difference. I'm very sorry for all of your losses and hope you join us soon on PGAL
  • Options
    Thank you all for your answers.  And again, congrats on your pregnancies--hope to join you someday soon.

@linzandjer11, we also started trying when DS was 9 months, but I didn't start ovulating again until he was 12 months.  I was also still BF at the time and lost my first.  Stopped BF as It hought it may be related but then went on to lose a second 3 months later, so started taking aspirin.  Then lost a third a third a month ago.  I hear in so many incidents it just ends up being dumb luck, but it doesn't make it any easier.

@Synnovus--I know that is a strong possibility for me too, that everything will come back normal.  That's why we will possibly hold off on doing any of the really expensive tests for now.

@ALC08  Yes, after doing some research decided to put myself on baby aspirin after my second loss.  When my tests came back negative for blood clotting disorders my OB said to go ahead and keep taking it as it wouldn't do any harm.

Our Journey:
    DS born 05/14
    DS born 12/16
    HPT+ 1/12/20

• Options
    I don't really see how an HSG will helonu... it only checks the shape and openness of your tubs and uterus. It's usually for ppl who can't get preg:(

I hope u find answers Soon
  • Options
    @MamaRoni a HSG can also be done if you're diagnosed with habitual abortion to check for abnormalities or other problems in your uterus that can cause the repeated misscarriages such as polyps, fibroids and adhesions. 
  • Options
    @MamaRoni HSG can also be used to find scarring from a previous c-section.

Our Journey:
    DS born 05/14
    DS born 12/16
    HPT+ 1/12/20