International Bumpies
Options

Cultural differences for pregnancy?

Hi all,

I will say up front that I love living here in California. One thing I've noticed though are some cultural differences to do with being pregnant compared to where I grew up (Ireland). Most I simply didn't expect. Has anyone else encountered the same? If so what are they?
For me some things I've noticed include:
- Strangers asking if the baby was planned
- the amount of words that relate to babies clothes and equipment that are different in the US compared to home ( crib/cot, buggy/stroller, pram/bassinet, baby gro/ layette) etc.
- how wide spread circumcision is for non religious and medical reasons for baby boys.
- how many tests are standard for pregnancies, like gestational diabetes. It's great!!

How about you? Has anything struck you where you are now living?

Re: Cultural differences for pregnancy?

• Options
    In the Philippines (moved there when DD was 5 months) everyone asked if I had her "naturally" (meaning vaginally) and if I was breast feeding. Even men would ask if I was breast feeding and tell me that they thought it was best.

Most people were pretty pushing about "when are you having another?"
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi ladies. Canadian girl here.  I've noticed some big differences just lurking on these boards between Canada and the US.  Like @ecwk mentioned, a big thing is the mat leave.  I can't believe the lack of maternity leave available to our American friends. It's crazy!  We have a minimum of 1-yr were the gov't pays a benefit.  Most employers "top-up" the funds for a least a couple of months.  There is a push right now to move toward an 18-month maternity leave.

Another thing I have noticed is the men's involvement.  Here most father's want to be involved in the birthing process.  Doesn't seem to be the case everywhere.  Same for their involvement in raising kids.   

The use of midwives also seems more rare for Americans?  Here I'd say it's about 50-50 for non-high-risk pregnancies? 

My euro friends seem to have alot less "stuff" but that goes for everything not just baby-stuff. 
    #1 EDD 01/10/19; Team Green!
    TTC #1 since 01/16; Unexplained IF; Low AMH; Conceived naturally
    Married 11/12; Dating 05/05
    Me: 36  DH: 37

• Options
    I'm in Canada too but grew up in Wales. I don't know much about the differences in medical testing but I do find it weird that people would ask you if it's planned, and a lot of my friends have told me to get ready for strangers to touch my stomach when I start showing... That really freaks me out! I'm not a touchy feely person, I found it odd how much people hug hello and goodbye here... I'm definitely not down for stranger belly touching! I just can't imagine that in my small home town!

Aside from that we have healthcare in Canada and a year's maternity leave which my work will top up for 18 wks, so I feel pretty lucky here. 

I agree on the circumcision issue.. I didn't know anyone who was circumcised at home but it's very normal here. My husband is circumcised and we've had some conversation about what we'd do if we have a boy... DH is pro but I just don't see the need, it feels so mean to me! For now I'm just hoping for a girl to avoid the decision lol. What are you ladies thinking? 
  • Options
    clb1984 said:
    I'm in Canada too but grew up in Wales. I don't know much about the differences in medical testing but I do find it weird that people would ask you if it's planned, and a lot of my friends have told me to get ready for strangers to touch my stomach when I start showing... That really freaks me out! I'm not a touchy feely person, I found it odd how much people hug hello and goodbye here... I'm definitely not down for stranger belly touching! I just can't imagine that in my small home town!

Aside from that we have healthcare in Canada and a year's maternity leave which my work will top up for 18 wks, so I feel pretty lucky here. 

I agree on the circumcision issue.. I didn't know anyone who was circumcised at home but it's very normal here. My husband is circumcised and we've had some conversation about what we'd do if we have a boy... DH is pro but I just don't see the need, it feels so mean to me! For now I'm just hoping for a girl to avoid the decision lol. What are you ladies thinking? 
    I'm Canadian as I mentioned.  I am against circumcision as I feel it is unnecessary
     My DH is not and my parents didn't do it to my brother either. I don't see any reason to unless it's religious.  If you Google it there is a lot of myth debunking around the other reasons people list who are pro-circumcision. It's becoming alot less popular in Canada and is seen as cosmetic and therefore not covered by govt healthcare any more.
    #1 EDD 01/10/19; Team Green!
    TTC #1 since 01/16; Unexplained IF; Low AMH; Conceived naturally
    Married 11/12; Dating 05/05
    Me: 36  DH: 37