August 2015 Moms
Options

Finger Foods

mothernorthmothernorth member
edited March 2016 in August 2015 Moms
LO doesn't have any teeth yet but we've been given the green light to start up finger foods. We have a list of do's and don't's so we're pretty well prepared. So far, chunky monkey is either too uncoordinated or too lazy to want to pick the food up himself haha
Anybody else start up with finger foods yet? How is it going for you?

Re: Finger Foods

• Options
    We've only done the puffs so far. They are a little to hard still though (no teeth) so I get them a little soggy before I put them on his tray. He loves them. I think he loves smashing them more than actually eating them haha. But he's getting good at getting them in his mouth. Can you tell me what some of the ones they said were good to try? I'm so paranoid about choking!
  • Options
    irohspupilirohspupil member
    edited March 2016
    Scrambled eggs! 

ETA: the only restrictions we were given were: no cows milk and no honey. 

Me: 25 | DH: 25  
    DD: Aug. 15
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Steamed carrot pieces are great too. They're super mushy and easy for LO. Just make sure the pieces are small enough. 

Me: 25 | DH: 25  
    DD: Aug. 15
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We're doing BLW so Baby Girl eats a wide range of foods. Pretty much everything we eat with the exception of peanut butter and honey. We absolutely love it so far. She loves everything we give her-- even brussel sprouts! . It's an added health bonus for us as well since I've stopped using added salt/sugar in my cooking to accommodate her. 
    I
  • Options
    Awesome! Full scrambled eggs or just yolks? I read the whites should be held until atleast a year because they are so allergenic. Thanks!
  • Options
    @ksimon23 toast pieces, pancake pieces, scrambled eggs were on my list (whether or not you do whites and yolks is up to you, my pedi said to try a little bit if we felt comfortable doing so so we did), banana pieces, steamed veggies, just about anything soft that doesn't have cows milk, honey, or peanut butter or is salted and seasoned. The list she gave me had shredded meats on it too, but obviously that's a no go until LO has teeth, but anytime he sees me eat, his little jaw gets to work like he wants some food too! Oh, I also give him puffs and he loves those =) 
  • Options
    Thanks! 
  • Options
    My LO doesn't have teeth yet and we give him shredded meat... he does really well with them. We've been told he can eat anything but honey and that fluids should be kept to just bm or formula with the exception of a small amount of water each day.
  • Options
    Thanks @allybadry good to know! It's interesting how different pediatricians opinions can be. Ours was adamant about withholding egg whites and berries (strawberry and raspberry) for quite some time because they are so allergenic. Who knows! I'm sure in 20 years there will be a whole new set of opinions :) 
  • Options
    mothernorthmothernorth member
    edited March 2016
    I don't even want to know what is or isn't allowed in 20 years. Judging by all the pregnancy restrictions and all the baby restrictions we have today, it really makes you wonder how any of us are even alive today with all the horrible dangers OUR mothers subjected us to, right? ;)

Edit: Can't spell or structure a sentence today it seems haha
  • Options
    My daughter just turned 8 months and has no teeth. She is my third though, so my patience for making her baby food purees wore thin after a month. Just like my second child, I introduced her to solids fairly quickly, so she started table food at about 7 months, one month after I started baby food and cereal. She eats whatever we eat now, as long as it's softer and small. As for baby food items she eats the puffs and yogurt melts and the toddler meals. But I try to save money and use our food we are making. She is very interested in what we are eating so she doesn't leave me much choice but to share whatever it is.