May 2016 Moms
Options

"Am I in Labor"....

Have a feeling a lot of this is going to be asked soon, so thought maybe we could have ONE post where you can ask your questions about what beginning stages of labor is like in case you think you are starting? Like we used to do with symptom threads and the like. I think it would also be a good reference for all of us to revert to if we have any questions... second rodeo moms, please feel free to dole out the advise to us novices ;)

Just PUHHHLLEEAASSSEEEEEEE NO pictures of mucus plugs!!!

A fun little quiz to get things started
https://www.parents.com/parents/quiz.jsp?quizId=/templatedata/ab/quiz/data/69.xml

cat fail animated GIF

Re: "Am I in Labor"....

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    kp90kp90 member
    Maybe just abbreviate if you HAVE to mention it... let's call it MP. -_- ick.
  • Options
    I'll admit that I had NO clue what a mucus plug was so I had to google it. Uhm, yeah, not my brighest idea ever. 
    I'm going to look it up right now, I have too!
    Its like that lady having a baby in the river.... Had to watch!

The doctor sent me to L&D on Monday, because my BP was elevated (it was super high when I got there cause I was so nervous and I was super sweaty too!). But everything turned out to be normal.

But I was having contractions, so they wouldnt let me leave til they stopped.  They asked if I was having contractions and I said " from what I've seen from movies, I don't think so"  lol...but apparently I was.  It was like my stomach was tightening up, no real pain.  They said they were pretty big ones, but they let me go home, without any restrictions.  Just drink more water.

Augh the one doctor was so young looking, I was praying he wouldn't ask to look at my vagina. Lol...was it rude to ask how old he was?

• Options
    MH has been reading the books I left out...

He was doing laundry last night and called to me. I went over and he was holding a pair of my underpants with a weird look on his face and asked "Is that the...ummmm...plug thingy? You know, the vagina booger mucus plug discharge stuff?" I couldn't contain myself and just started laughing so hard! I reassured him that, no, it was just normal discharge and also please don't ever call anything that comes out of my body a "vagina booger" ever again! He said he was concerned because I mentioned that Luna felt lower and "dropped" so he has been on water-break watch since then. Every time I pee he asks if I am sure my water didn't break, and how can I be sure since I just peed, and how can you tell the difference between pee and amniotic fluid! Poor guy is going out of his gourd.
    I'm sorry, but I just laughed so hard.  "Vagina booger mucous plug discharge stuff" lmao

On an unrelated side note:  I had a friend whose five year old was making slime and was making snakes out of the slime.  My friend sent me a pic of her kid and the homemade slime and told me that it reminded her of a mucus plug.  She sent that text to me out of the blue.   I could post that lol .  It's just a craft and not the real deal, but she said it looked really similar lmao

First Pregnancy
    • BFP: 01/25/2015
    • EDD: 09/28/2015
    • Incomplete MC: 02/28/2015

Second Pregnancy

• BFP: 09/11/2015
    • EDD: 05/25/2016
    Baby Born
    04/15/2016

PGAL
  • Options
    I am wondering if anyone took the quiz and it told them they are in labor right this moment?

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    Ugh I couldn't stop myself from googling it...gross. I will not be googling bloody show though lol
  • Options
    I took it and it said "Congratulations!  Looks like you are gearing up for labor soon!"  

I only took it as a joke totally expecting a "yeah, you still have forever left" type answer. Lol. 

Def not putting much stock in this but as a STM, it is funny how much you forget is a "symptom" of labor.  Guess we will see
    *Married 7/29/11
    BFP 10/2/13, EDD 6/3/14
    Gave birth to my beautiful son, Owen Robert on 6/4/14!
    BFP #2 8/28/15, EDD 5/5/16

• Options
    kbrands7kbrands7 member
    edited March 2016
    Lol, @mrsprice519 I did the same thing-- and also got the "gearing up for labor" response.
  • Options
    Same response, gearing up.  
  • Options
    Bloody show! LOL!  
    I googled it. Gagged a little... Ewww...  

• Options
    Aquinna82 said:
    I've categorized "mucus plug" under "I'll know it when I see it" and therefore have not had the urge to google it.  Am I wrong?
    No, in my experience, it was obviously different from other discharge. Honestly, it also doesn't bear as much weight as some internet sources tend to put on it since you can lose part of it and have it regenerate, or you can even lose all of it and still not go into labor for a little while. It's not something that definitively begins labor.
  • Options
    Aquinna82 said:
    I've categorized "mucus plug" under "I'll know it when I see it" and therefore have not had the urge to google it.  Am I wrong?
    Not wrong. You'll know, like, no doubt about it. I lost mine about 5 days before labor. The closer you are to your due date the more likely it could mean something is up, but still such an unpredictable thing. 
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • Options
    You can "lose your plug" hours, days, weeks, months before labor. It can regrow or not, it can come out in pieces over a long time and you never really knew what it was, etc. Also don't feel terrible if you don't know if you're leaking fluid or pee. We have SO many moms come in thinking they are leaking and it turns out to be urine. That's why we have the nitrizine testers to check, because most of the time you can't tell just looking at it. Happy labors mamas!
  • Options
    and just to throw in my 2 cents, I went into labor and never lost my mucous plug.   I was 8 cm when I had my section, and still no sign of vagina boogers.  So yeah, every pregnant woman is different!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• Options
    I took the quiz. Said I'm going to be going into labor soon or something along those lines. But the symptoms like back pain, discharge, insomnia, loose stools, etc are just a part of the 3rd trimester right?? Still could be a long time away. I'm not quite 33 weeks so I'd like her to hang in there some more. 
  • Options
    kbrands7 said:
    Another random subject: Any ST+Ms worried about precipitous labor? I wasn't really, until a coworker of mine shared his wife's birth story of their second child from earlier this year. She felt her first hard contractions at 2:20 in the afternoon and called him to leave from work. As he walked in the door around 2:40 she was on the floor in the front hallway holding their 2yr old's hand, her water broke, they called paramedics, and he caught the baby at 2:50. Holy H*ll. I know that this quick is very uncommon, but I'm not going to lie: the story has me a little fearful. I guess on the plus side...she had a 30min unmedicated labor.  :o
    Yes!  This happened to one of my bosses with both of her pregnancies, and she barely made it to the hospital either time.  Although isn't it unlikely to happen with your second if you had a normal labor with your first?