July 2016 Moms
Options

UO Thursday

elenabrentelenabrent member
edited March 2016 in July 2016 Moms
Let's hear 'em, ladies!

(and remember, we all know you've eaten too many girl scout cookies, don't like pregnant sex, and were secretly hoping for a girl- let's hear something new and exciting!)

ETA: I know half of those are FFFC examples but honestly I can't tell the difference between those threads most weeks.

Re: UO Thursday

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Taymiller said:
    I wish some of the other members of this BMB would step up for the daily threads. If a regular doesn't start one, you totally can. It's not a rule. Really.
    You mean not just show up for HDBD?
    I actually get nervous starting my own thread, even if it is a daily one. It is weird but to be fair I am a bit of a weirdo :)
    But you contribute ;).
  • Options
    be carefule @soberkfell .... I'm in Vegas...which also means that I won't be leaving my house tonight because of drunken assholes drinking and driving...
  • Options

I agree with @taymiller! Sometimes I get nervous that the search function won't return what I'm looking for and I'll end up duplicating something that's been beaten to death.

UO: People who don't drink any alcohol (outside of pregnancy) make me nervous.  There are obviously some exceptions: medical, religious, etc. but people who strictly prohibit themselves from drinking alcoholic beverages have always had a tendency to make me feel very judged. 

Should add family members that suffer from alcoholism to your list. I don't really drink and my husband's friends made a huge deal of it every time we went to a party and I wasn't drinking. When I finally told them that my dad is a functioning alcoholic they shut their mouths.  
    You are absolutely right.  (Though I was kind of lumping that under medical since addition is truly a disease).

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Married: October 23, 2010

DS: 8/7/2013

#2 EDD: 6/29/2016, C Section: 6/22/2016

• Options
    KASGKASG member
    I don't think education should be compulsory. And I think teachers should get overtime pay.
    Me: 28
    DH: 29
    Married: 7/4/15
    TTC #1 since marriage
    BFP 11/17/15 -- EDD 7/31/16

• Options
    KASG said:
    I don't think education should be compulsory. And I think teachers should get overtime pay.

What about the rest of us who work overtime and don't get paid? Should we get overtime too?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Married: October 23, 2010

DS: 8/7/2013

#2 EDD: 6/29/2016, C Section: 6/22/2016

• Options
    The best part of the holiday is the badass punk rock. In CO, we do kegs and eggs which I've never been to but have always wanted to go, because they always have some great bands. Tickets always sell out early as fuck, it's impossible to get through downtown Denver on days like today so, I will listen to some dropkicks while we go to finish registering at BRU and that will be that. This little man likes older punk rock to anything else I listen to anyway so he will be up alllll day. 
  • Options

I agree with @taymiller! Sometimes I get nervous that the search function won't return what I'm looking for and I'll end up duplicating something that's been beaten to death.

UO: People who don't drink any alcohol (outside of pregnancy) make me nervous.  There are obviously some exceptions: medical, religious, etc. but people who strictly prohibit themselves from drinking alcoholic beverages have always had a tendency to make me feel very judged. 

Should add family members that suffer from alcoholism to your list. I don't really drink and my husband's friends made a huge deal of it every time we went to a party and I wasn't drinking. When I finally told them that my dad is a functioning alcoholic they shut their mouths.  
    You are absolutely right.  (Though I was kind of lumping that under medical since addition is truly a disease).
    It's not the easiest, I know I have to watch how much I drink because I can put a lot back and not realize it and it's a little scary. However, as a part time non drinker, we're only judging the drunk people that are completely idiotic and say really stupid things ;).
  • Options
    KASG said:
    I'm curious as to why?
  • Options
    I definitely don't understand when people who aren't Irish at all hardcore celebrate St. Patrick's Day haha
  • Options
    KASGKASG member
    TTC #1 since marriage

• Options
    KASGKASG member

KASG said:
    I'm curious as to why?
    I'm curious, too. For some kids, the only reason they get a hot meal each day is because their parents are forced to put them in school. I can't imagine how it would be otherwise..
    I think it's one reason education isn't valued in the country. Everyone always goes to the hot meal argument, which I totally get, but this isn't day care; school is a place to learn, not just be taken care of. I think after a few years, people would realize how important education really is whereas now it's just something you HAVE to do. 
    TTC #1 since marriage

• Options
    I'm already done with this pregnancy. It's gonna be a long 15 weeks! I feel so uncomfortable already. I can't even cut my toe nails anymore.. I'm not very good at asking for help either. I regret not staying in shape while pregnant. Esp with the subtle "fatty" comments my family spits out from time to time. 
  • Options
    KASGKASG member
    @ButterMyBiscuit well we'd send them SOMEwhere, just not school.

@y0urm0m It's undervalued by everyone -- students, admin, legislators... And about that $#!+ show... lol I thought of that right after I posted it. But honestly, the whole system just needs a MAJOR revamp. Cuz I can guarantee you it's a $#!+ show now and it's NOT working...
    TTC #1 since marriage

• Options
    edited March 2016
    KASG said:

KASG said:
    I'm curious as to why?
    I'm curious, too. For some kids, the only reason they get a hot meal each day is because their parents are forced to put them in school. I can't imagine how it would be otherwise..
    I think it's one reason education isn't valued in the country. Everyone always goes to the hot meal argument, which I totally get, but this isn't day care; school is a place to learn, not just be taken care of. I think after a few years, people would realize how important education really is whereas now it's just something you HAVE to do. 
    Are we talking about the parents not understanding how important education is? Or are we talking about a bunch of third graders not realizing the importance of education and wanting to teach them a lesson?

It is undervalued by the students as well.  I teach in a high poverty school - where 100% of our students get free or reduced lunch, and while yes the meal a day thing is great, but we have students who just come to school so their parents don't get fined.  They cause chaos and do nothing for the learning environment of the other students.  Those students just want to work - and usually with their family (or drugs unfortunately).  We are forcing them to go to a place where they do not want to be. 

Trust me - I am all for education, and I do not want to live in a society that is uneducated, but I believe for some kids there needs to be a different option.  They aren't learning in the situation they are in anyway, and usually drop out when they can sign off of it themselves. 

Edit - words are hard

Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    KASG said:

KASG said:
    I'm curious as to why?
    Are we talking about the parents not understanding how important education is? Or are we talking about a bunch of third graders not realizing the importance of education and wanting to teach them a lesson?

It is undervalued by the students as well.  I teach in a high poverty school - where 100% of our students get free or reduced lunch, and while yes the meal a day thing is great, but we have students who just come to school so their parents don't get fined.  They cause chaos and do nothing for the learning environment of the other students.  Those students just want to work - and usually with their family (or drugs unfortunately).  We are forcing them to go to a place where they do not want to be. 

Trust me - I am all for education, and I do not want to live in a society that is uneducated, but I believe for some kids there needs to be a different option.  They aren't learning in the situation they are in anyway, and usually drop out when they can sign off of it themselves. 

Edit - words are hard

The exact reason why education is compulsory.