Formula Feeding

SWITCHING BRANDS

I plan to breast feed and supplement with formula as needed. My ob always has a bunch of samples sitting out and they encourage you to take them. (Full cans of formula, ready to feed bottles) the problem is I have a few different kinds, all milk based powders. Can my son switch between them? 

Re: SWITCHING BRANDS

• Many people will tell you that you can't or shouldn't. But many others switch and have no issues. I used up all the free samples of all the different brands I got from different promo programs and never had any issues. 
    I guess it depends on the baby. 
  • Many people will tell you that you can't or shouldn't. But many others switch and have no issues. I used up all the free samples of all the different brands I got from different promo programs and never had any issues. 
    I guess it depends on the baby. 
    ^wss My daughter could drink whatever I gave her without issue, so we were able to use all the samples we got in the mail. We eventually settled on Enfamil Infant (yellow label) and were eventually able to use our grocery store's generic version. 

My son is different. He has major spit up issues, so we had him on Enfamil AR, which worked for the spitups, but caused constipation. I gave him juice a lot to help with that, but then he'd spit up because of the juice diluting the formula. I tried a sample of Similac Sensitive non-GMO that I got from a friend and it worked great! Hardly any spit up and normal infant poops. I didn't think there would be a difference in the regular Similac Sensitive vs non-GMO versions, but the regular he spits up with and had constipation. I put him back on the on-GMO version and normal poops with minimal spit up. I don't understand it, either, but that's the experience we had. 

So, I've got several samples and some formula that I bought that we can't use right now. We are keeping them, though, in case his dietary needs settle down as he gets older. 

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I have heard the same as well. Some babies can tolerate them and others can't. I would start out with whichever brand your hospital uses and then go from there. 
  • I've also seen FB posts by moms saying their baby did much better with non-GMO formula than regular. We use Similac sensitive non-GMO and my LO does fine. I would grab a few different samples incase 1 type doesn't agree with your baby. My ob office gave me Similac for supplementing breastmilk and I started with that and switched to sensitive because he was very gassy even when I EBF.