March 2016 Moms

Alone during birth

Hello, I'm a FTM and will be having a c section in just a few days. I will be alone during the procedure as well as most of the time during the hospital stay. Has anyone else ever experienced this? 

Re: Alone during birth

• I haven't, but I'm sorry you have to be alone. I just had a c-section and I don't know what I would have some without my husband there. Hopefully you have awesome nurses that will help with everything. 
    *TTC since July 2010
    *BFP #1- 11/12/12, m/c 11/16/12 @ 6 weeks
    *BFP #2- 1/23/13 EDD 10/4/13  

*Emma Rose: 10/8/13

*BFP #3- EDD 03/9/16

March '16 December Siggy Challenge- Favorite Christmas Movie/Quote
  • Just a thought, would you be able to find a doula willing to assist you with recovery and offer some support?

Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • I honestly don't think I could find one in time, or make a connection that fast. I'm hoping that the recovery process won't be too bad because I'll be alone once I'm home as well. 
  • You need someone to support you at home. I would be in help right now without it and I'm a week post op. It would have been impossible right out of the hospital. Seriously consider a postpartum doula!
    *TTC since July 2010
    *BFP #1- 11/12/12, m/c 11/16/12 @ 6 weeks
    *BFP #2- 1/23/13 EDD 10/4/13  

*Emma Rose: 10/8/13

*BFP #3- EDD 03/9/16

March '16 December Siggy Challenge- Favorite Christmas Movie/Quote
  • No experience but just want to say good luck and also that you might check with your doctor or hospital (maybe you already have). The policy at my hospital is you have to have someone there at night to be with you if you have the baby rooming in and had a c-section. I know I couldn't get out of bed to get DS1 out of the bassinet for the first 24 hours due to having to be on magnesium (my BP spiked after the section). I hope you get some really good nurses and maybe they can just take the baby to the nursery at night?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • thank you all for the kind words and recommendations. I do have some family who live about 40 minutes away so they are going to take me and the baby home from the hospital. My childs father and I split up a week ago and he wants nothing to do with either of us so I've had very little time to even grasp everything. I have everything set up and will not have to use stairs or anything of that nature. I have a fairly high pain tolerance so I'm hoping that helps get me through. As for the baby staying in the hospital room with me, he will be able to. I have a portable sleeper that is meant to stay in the bed with you so we may use that if its too painful to get him out of the hospital bassinet. Also, the nurses that I've met seem very helpful and eager to jump in and do anything that's needed so hopefully they are that way the day I deliver 
  • Just an FYI my doctor won't allow me to drive for two weeks after my csection. You might try and line up some friends/family for your first trip to the pediatrician etc. 

• Mine won't allow it either so I have rides set up and luckily I have a few close friends who are willing to pitch in where needed. Truing to get everything figured out because times ticking. I hate that this all happened especially this late in. Can't wait to have my little one in my arms 
  • @clynn121 I am so, so sorry you're going through this. I don't have any wise words but just wanted to say it sounds like you're bring incredibly composed and practical about the situation and I know you're going to be better than ok! Everyone else's advise is spot on - do ANYTHING necessary to make your life easier. Amazon Prime, grocery delivery, meal delivery, etc. are all key. 
  • I really appreciate that. No sense in dwelling over a poor excuse of a man. Time to show him that my son is better off without him.  I have been stocking up and plan to go get last minute meals and such tomorrow. Luckily I made a lot of meals to freeze recently so I'm overstocked.. Better than unded stocked haha. Thanks again for your kind words 
  • I am sorry you are in that situation. The best advice I can give is do not push too hard. I had a section Sunday and did way to much yesterday before the Iv meds wore off and I am paying for it now.
  • Hi there, i cant relate to the c-section bit, but i did end up going through most of my labour alone. I was previously admitted due to some issues, and when i went into labour i wasnt checked and got told to go to sleep. Becuase i was just on the ward (not in L&D) and it was during the night, DH wasn't allowed to stay. I wasnt checked until half past midnight and i had been at hospital since 9. DD was born shortly after. My advice to you, just concentrate on whats happening at the time, i know its scary to be alone but it helped me just to concentrate on 'the moment' rather then thinking about being alone. Good luck! Feel free to pm me if you wanna chat