January 2016 Moms
Options

Frustrated- Naps and other things

2 weeks ago things were great- DS was sleeping in his crib at night for a 6-8 hour stretch, then another 3-4 hours. He was also napping during the day pretty well in his swing or bouncy seat. However, last week he caught a cold and started waking up more at night and has had to sleep upright on me because of the congestion (so sad!). Plus his daytime naps started tanking. I had a great Eat Play Sleep routine going. Now, he'll either not take a nap for hours, or if he does fall asleep he wakes up after a half hour. Adding to this, I went back to work 2 weeks ago and my MIL is graciously coming over and watching him for us. While I totally appreciate what she's doing for us, I wish she'd follow my advice more. With the naps I am pretty much relentless and will try and try and try everything I can to make him sleep. I think she just picks him right up the second he fusses, even though I told her he does that before falling asleep sometimes. So, he barely naps all day with her, then when I get home he's super fussy, sleeps like crap at night, and then the cycle starts over again. Arghh! I'm hoping this is due to his congestion or a growth spurt... Last night he was up every 3 hours to eat, minus the hour we lost because DST I am so freaking exhausted!

Re: Frustrated- Naps and other things

• Options
    Our morning nap was the only consistent nap I could count on. It was a reliable 2 hours. For the last few days LO has started sleeping for an hour max during this time and the rest of his naps are just as sporadic. Night time sleep is occasionally 1 5 hour stretch followed by a 3 hour or its 2 4 hour stretches. Apparently, LO thinks sleep is over rated. I'm not amused lol 7 weeks
  • Options
    I understand your frustration. The only time my little guy sleeps over an hour is in the moby or his car seat. Crutch? Yes but sleep begets sleep and I need him flexible more than my daughter was. Otherwise he sleeps 20-30 min in his seat.we are just now at 11 weeks getting stretches and a schedule at night.  I would stay on your MIL about naps.. She can probably get him back down with a little effort like you said. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Get the nosefrida. I'm dead serious, I thought it was the stupidest thing until LO got super congested. A little squirting of saline and the nosefrida has saved our sleep for about 5 nights in a row now.
  • Options
    @Blueyedsky I do the saline drops and suction bulb before bed-- I haven't tried the nosefrieda, not sure why.. Does it get out a lot more snot than the suction bulb? 

I definitely think that if he wasn't congested then he wouldn't wake up as often as he has been. I know he can go several hours at night without eating, but the coughing wakes him up and then he realizes he's hungry. That's my theory anyways.
  • Options
    Nose Frieda was way better than suction bulb IMO.  Good luck!!
  • Options
    How old is he? My son will be 11 weeks tomorrow and he got sick (and is maybe still getting over it) and is doing the same thing. Plus he's picked up this odd habit of groaning when fussy which he will do constantly until you make him happier? Which right now is basically impossible. His night time sleep has been pretty crappy.
    Vincent 1.1.16 & Daniel 11.6.07
    In Memory of Barbara <3 , beloved mother and grandmother
  • Options
    How old is he? My son will be 11 weeks tomorrow and he got sick (and is maybe still getting over it) and is doing the same thing. Plus he's picked up this odd habit of groaning when fussy which he will do constantly until you make him happier? Which right now is basically impossible. His night time sleep has been pretty crappy.
    He's 11 weeks on Saturday...
  • Options
    Nose frida for the win! But sounds like what needs to happen is your MIL get on board! Without those naps happening everyone is miserable - baby needs sleep to grow! Come on MIL get with the program
  • Options
    @Blueyedsky I do the saline drops and suction bulb before bed-- I haven't tried the nosefrieda, not sure why.. Does it get out a lot more snot than the suction bulb? 

I definitely think that if he wasn't congested then he wouldn't wake up as often as he has been. I know he can go several hours at night without eating, but the coughing wakes him up and then he realizes he's hungry. That's my theory anyways.
    Yes way more than the bulb. LO still doesn't like it but it's much faster so I can get more out without fighting her as well.